Big Oil, Bad Air Fracking the Eagle Ford Shale of South Texas

No. Apparently you don't have it.

But, then there is this:

Ever consider that those symptoms are consistent with folks who live DIRECTLY ON TOP OF nature's own toxic waste dumps? It's WELL documented that folks living on top of nat gas fields had issues with seepage and water WELL BEFORE the guys came to harvest any. In fact, REMOVING that toxic material, might be the best method to giving these folks relief.

As for your 2nd quote.. Demonstrates AGAIN how financially naive leftists are. They haven't a foggy CLUE about how folks invest and what the tools are.. ANYONE who owns a share of INDEX fund, an energy ETF, or has an outside managed retirement fund --- HAS ---

" a financial interest in at least one energy company active in the Eagle Ford"..

If you are investing in ANY WAY -- and YOU DON'T have " a financial interest in at least one energy company active in the Eagle Ford" --- then you're doing it all wrong...

Mental Midgets -- the lot of them..

Actually, I have thought about it. Oil field trash when I was a kid for several years. It's something that I bounce back and forth with others in my family. This is a process with a history so, what changed? What is being done differently? What corners are being cut? Why spend so much time suppressing information? It seems to me that if it's not a concern that people would go out of their way to legitimize that angle by making sure that chemicals are disclosed, there were no gag orders, or even the ya, we know we can put some safeguards in regarding benzene etc.

I understand how investment works. Thanks. In fact, I can tell when someone is actively buying stock and when someone's portfolio is pretty much left to a financial adviser. But that isn't what the problem is:
State Rep. Tom Craddick, who championed the House version of SB1134, owns stock in nine oil companies, five of which are active in the Eagle Ford. At the end of 2013, the stock was worth as much as $1.5 million. That year Craddick, and the partnerships and corporations he controls, received royalties of as much as $885,000 for mineral rights. For decades he had a lucrative partnership with Mustang Mud, an oilfield supply company.

Corporations, along with unions, are banned from giving directly to state candidates in Texas, but since 2000, industry employees and related political action committees have contributed more than $800,000 to Craddick’s campaigns, according to an analysis of data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics.

The industry has also invested more than $600,000 to help Craddick’s daughter, Christi, win a seat on the Texas Railroad Commission in 2012. The Railroad Commission, which issues drilling permits, has been criticized for years for allowing its three commissioners to accept campaign contributions from the industry they regulate. But with support from the House Energy Resources Committee, of which Tom Craddick is a member, it has beaten back attempts at reform.

Gov. Rick Perry, who signed SB1134 soon after it landed on his desk, has collected more than $11.5 million in campaign contributions from those in the industry since the 2000 election cycle. Attorney General Greg Abbott, the favorite to win the Republican nomination for governor, has raked in more than $4 million. Since he has been in office, Abbott has sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 18 times for interfering in Texas affairs.
Saturated with oil money, Texas legislature saved industry from pollution rule | Center for Public Integrity

I find it very unfortunate that you think that everyone that speaks on this is a mental midget. I find it very frustrating that the assumption is this is an all or nothing game.

We actually agree on the disclosure part of this.. I'd be much happier if companies were to declare the nature of their fracking fluids. But the issue there is NOT political influence, it's proprietary company info. A problem that creeps up when the govt regulators are both trying to regulate AND protect sensitive intellectual property. So -- a lot of the whiners like ProPublica are just GUESSING at what is in the fracking fluids. And they guess badly.

Besides, so WHAT if a small amount of Benzene WAS in the fluids? It's like pissing into a sewer grate. Because you are putting a minute amount of hydrocarbon into a natural deposit of IMMENSE size containing the exact same "contaminants" ?? Look at the list of "guesses" of what's in the fluids.. MOST of the alleged compounds are naturally occurring in the hole you are drilling..

You don't think the same "investments" made by politicians play a role in Big Wind or Big Solar? This is caused by the POWER we've ceded to politicians to select winners and losers in virtually every market. ALL regulation should be across the board for EVERY corporation in that marketplace. And no legislation should pass that prefers ONE over the OTHER.

Oh, dear. I find Politico to be biased.

And I am trying to find the top reasons that I should trust anything associated with the Albritton family. You know, they would so readily put people before profit.
About Us ? Perpetual Capital Partners

And back to the standard tired progressive "people above profit" bullshit. Go off grid and shut up.

You put profit over people? !! I guess no better definition of a Callous Conservative exists.

Profit is what makes the world go round. Do you work for cost?

Ever consider that those symptoms are consistent with folks who live DIRECTLY ON TOP OF nature's own toxic waste dumps? It's WELL documented that folks living on top of nat gas fields had issues with seepage and water WELL BEFORE the guys came to harvest any. In fact, REMOVING that toxic material, might be the best method to giving these folks relief.

As for your 2nd quote.. Demonstrates AGAIN how financially naive leftists are. They haven't a foggy CLUE about how folks invest and what the tools are.. ANYONE who owns a share of INDEX fund, an energy ETF, or has an outside managed retirement fund --- HAS ---

" a financial interest in at least one energy company active in the Eagle Ford"..

If you are investing in ANY WAY -- and YOU DON'T have " a financial interest in at least one energy company active in the Eagle Ford" --- then you're doing it all wrong...

Mental Midgets -- the lot of them..

Actually, I have thought about it. Oil field trash when I was a kid for several years. It's something that I bounce back and forth with others in my family. This is a process with a history so, what changed? What is being done differently? What corners are being cut? Why spend so much time suppressing information? It seems to me that if it's not a concern that people would go out of their way to legitimize that angle by making sure that chemicals are disclosed, there were no gag orders, or even the ya, we know we can put some safeguards in regarding benzene etc.

I understand how investment works. Thanks. In fact, I can tell when someone is actively buying stock and when someone's portfolio is pretty much left to a financial adviser. But that isn't what the problem is:
State Rep. Tom Craddick, who championed the House version of SB1134, owns stock in nine oil companies, five of which are active in the Eagle Ford. At the end of 2013, the stock was worth as much as $1.5 million. That year Craddick, and the partnerships and corporations he controls, received royalties of as much as $885,000 for mineral rights. For decades he had a lucrative partnership with Mustang Mud, an oilfield supply company.

Corporations, along with unions, are banned from giving directly to state candidates in Texas, but since 2000, industry employees and related political action committees have contributed more than $800,000 to Craddick’s campaigns, according to an analysis of data from the National Institute on Money in State Politics.

The industry has also invested more than $600,000 to help Craddick’s daughter, Christi, win a seat on the Texas Railroad Commission in 2012. The Railroad Commission, which issues drilling permits, has been criticized for years for allowing its three commissioners to accept campaign contributions from the industry they regulate. But with support from the House Energy Resources Committee, of which Tom Craddick is a member, it has beaten back attempts at reform.

Gov. Rick Perry, who signed SB1134 soon after it landed on his desk, has collected more than $11.5 million in campaign contributions from those in the industry since the 2000 election cycle. Attorney General Greg Abbott, the favorite to win the Republican nomination for governor, has raked in more than $4 million. Since he has been in office, Abbott has sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 18 times for interfering in Texas affairs.
Saturated with oil money, Texas legislature saved industry from pollution rule | Center for Public Integrity

I find it very unfortunate that you think that everyone that speaks on this is a mental midget. I find it very frustrating that the assumption is this is an all or nothing game.

We actually agree on the disclosure part of this.. I'd be much happier if companies were to declare the nature of their fracking fluids. But the issue there is NOT political influence, it's proprietary company info. A problem that creeps up when the govt regulators are both trying to regulate AND protect sensitive intellectual property. So -- a lot of the whiners like ProPublica are just GUESSING at what is in the fracking fluids. And they guess badly.

Besides, so WHAT if a small amount of Benzene WAS in the fluids? It's like pissing into a sewer grate. Because you are putting a minute amount of hydrocarbon into a natural deposit of IMMENSE size containing the exact same "contaminants" ?? Look at the list of "guesses" of what's in the fluids.. MOST of the alleged compounds are naturally occurring in the hole you are drilling..

You don't think the same "investments" made by politicians play a role in Big Wind or Big Solar? This is caused by the POWER we've ceded to politicians to select winners and losers in virtually every market. ALL regulation should be across the board for EVERY corporation in that marketplace. And no legislation should pass that prefers ONE over the OTHER.

I understand why the complete list is not included. The problem is that we have a lot of people that are sick. The symptoms are the same as elsewhere in the US. Which brings me back to what I initially said. Texas should be all over this doing whatever they can. Instead of spending the amount of money and time for 13 cases, they should be the first in line saying and proving via independent research that they have this. As it stands, Texas is all about state rights but not so much on the responsibility.

Before I go any further, I would like some clarification. Are you calling campaign donations investments?

The facts, as they say, tell a much different story.

CLAIM: “The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), which regulates most air emissions, doesn’t even know some of these facilities exist. An internal agency document acknowledges that the rule allowing this practice ‘[c]annot be proven to be protective.’” (p. 2)

FACT: What the InsideClimate/CPI team does not tell you is that this excerpt refers to an older version of the law, and in fact was part of a memo that compares the older version with the newly adopted rule. The new rule “[c]an prove protectiveness of health and human welfare and provides practically enforceable records,” according to TCEQ.

Much, much more at link...

Activism and Deception Underlie Weather Channel Eagle Ford Shale Report

Can it be done without harming the people? Apparently not.

Can you produce a single example of someone who has suffered demonstrable physical harm from any of this?

Well, we can go here Science Lags as Health Problems Emerge Near Gas Fields - ProPublica

But the extent and cause of the problems remains unknown.

And here Health Assessment Finds Fracking Makes People Sick | Indigenous Environmental Network

And we can start looking here Hormone-Disrupting Chemicals Linked to Fracking Found in Colorado River ? News Watch

Your source presents no clear documented connection between the complaints and the fracking activities. All it does is present a lot of suppositions and suspicions - no hard facts.

The first example doesn't even involve fracking. They have been drilling for oil in that area of Colorado for decades. The source of the emissions was over half a mile away. By the time any reached the person who whined about them, they would be diluted to a few parts per billion.

My father was a petroleum geologist. When I was a child we lived in the middle of the oil fields in Venezuela. We had one of those horse-like well pumps right in the middle of the park I walked through to get to my kindergarten class. There were valve farms and drilling rigs everywhere you looked within a few hundred yards of my neighborhood. Sometimes there were even puddles of oil off to the side of the road when a truck or a valve spewed some. In fact, once we went and played in one of these puddles and got my mother really pissed.

I never suffered a single ill effect. No one in the neighborhood I lived in ever complained about any symptoms related to fumes from oil. The people in your links who are whining about fumes causing them medical problems are all hypochondriacs. A certain percentage of the population chronically complains about imaginary illnesses, and the latest environmental issue is always their favorite cause of the moment.

This is pure horseshit.

You put profit over people? !! I guess no better definition of a Callous Conservative exists.

That's a bit of mindless leftist drivel.. Profits ARE people. Profit is the thanks you get for serving OTHERS.. No profit -- then you are not serving society. Unless you have a govt job.
Even "non-profits" support the labor of their key people. Sometimes, extremely well.

Profit is what you earn, sometimes others benefit, sometimes others are exploited, sometimes other are screwed.

Sometimes a first responder puts his or her life on the line to serve others, and most first responders are employed by the government. Posting otherwise is proof you're nothing but a parrot, echoing right wing propaganda.

Every construction worker puts his life on the line to build the office you work in. I worked in construction for 5 1/2 years, and someone got killed on every major project I worked on. I personally witnessed a man get his leg half sawed off at the thigh. Likewise, men get killed fishing for Alaskan King crab every year. Men get killed in coal mines and other kinds of mines every year. Working on a drilling rig is a really dangerous occupation. People get killed and maimed every year doing that. I've seen men who work on rigs with mangled arms and missing fingers. It's not a career for the faint hearted.

Probably a lot more people die working in the occupations listed above than get killed fighting fires or performing any other government service, but according to you these people don't "put their life on the line." They are don't anything important.

Sorry if I don't feel obligated to kiss the ass of "first responders." They volunteered for the job. We've heard enough of their whining.

I understand why the complete list is not included. The problem is that we have a lot of people that are sick. The symptoms are the same as elsewhere in the US. Which brings me back to what I initially said. Texas should be all over this doing whatever they can. Instead of spending the amount of money and time for 13 cases, they should be the first in line saying and proving via independent research that they have this. As it stands, Texas is all about state rights but not so much on the responsibility.

Before I go any further, I would like some clarification. Are you calling campaign donations investments?

Never crossed my mind.. I'm not into buying political power. I referred to conflicts of interests on the part of politicians with INVESTMENTS in Big Wind or Big Solar or Big BatteryWagons.. And the POWER that pols have to reward those donors and supporters who work for Big Green. (or any other group of beggars).

The WEAPON isn't the money that changes hands.. It's the freaking POWER and SCOPE of power we've allowed politicians to sell and barter.

Like I said, no one is surprised that folks living directly over rich hydrocarbon deposits have a cluster of symptoms. Call in a study AND get Chevron in there to "DRILL DRILL DRILL" and remove the "environmental irritants". Just like those Serve-Pro commercials..

CLAIM: “The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), which regulates most air emissions, doesn’t even know some of these facilities exist. An internal agency document acknowledges that the rule allowing this practice ‘[c]annot be proven to be protective.’” (p. 2)

FACT: What the InsideClimate/CPI team does not tell you is that this excerpt refers to an older version of the law, and in fact was part of a memo that compares the older version with the newly adopted rule. The new rule “[c]an prove protectiveness of health and human welfare and provides practically enforceable records,” according to TCEQ.

:eek::eek::eek:

So this whole thread is based on lies?

OUCH!

Sorry, pulled a muscle trying to quell my surprise

:eek::eek::eek:

So this whole thread is based on lies?

OUCH!

Sorry, pulled a muscle trying to quell my surprise

Wry Catcher seems to have fled the scene. Post lies is standard operating procedure for libturds. The sad thing is that many people are fooled by this fraud. Most of the liberal agenda is pure fraud, and far too many people fall for it.

I'm not ignoring you. I will respond when I have more time.

Our investigation and records obtained from Texas regulatory agencies reveal a system that does more to protect the industry than the public. Among the findings:

Texas’ air monitoring system is so flawed that the state knows almost nothing about the extent of the pollution in the Eagle Ford. Only five permanent air monitors are installed in the 20,000-square-mile region, and all are at the fringes of the shale play, far from the heavy drilling areas where emissions are highest.
Thousands of oil and gas facilities, including six of the nine production sites near the Buehrings’ house, are allowed to self-audit their emissions without reporting them to the state. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), which regulates most air emissions, doesn’t even know some of these facilities exist. An internal agency document acknowledges that the rule allowing this practice “[c]annot be proven to be protective.”
Companies that break the law are rarely fined. Of the 284 oil and gas industry-related complaints filed with the TCEQ by Eagle Ford residents between Jan. 1, 2010, and Nov. 19, 2013 , only two resulted in fines despite 164 documented violations. The largest was just $14,250. (Pending enforcement actions could lead to six more fines.)
The Texas legislature has cut the TCEQ’s budget by a third since the Eagle Ford boom began, from $555 million in 2008 to $372 million in 2014. At the same time, the amount allocated for air monitoring equipment dropped from $1.2 million to $579,000.
The Eagle Ford boom is feeding an ominous trend: A 100-percent statewide increase in unplanned toxic air releases associated with oil and gas production since 2009. Known as emission events, these releases are usually caused by human error or faulty equipment.
Residents of the mostly rural Eagle Ford counties are at a disadvantage even in Texas because they haven’t been given air quality protections, such as more permanent monitors, provided to the wealthier, more suburban Barnett Shale region near Dallas-Fort Worth.

Texas officials tasked with overseeing the industry are often its strongest defenders, leaving the Buehrings and other families
http://eagleford.publicintegrity.org/

One would think that the state regulators would be all over this simply to prove that they got this.

Don't care what they do to TX...frack it all. :D

No problem. Don't feel obligated on my part. I have people in the real world to contend with. Illinois could be on the verge of an economic boom, but people like you are trying to crush it before it begins. I really despise your type. Hypocrites and liars.

No problem. Don't feel obligated on my part. I have people in the real world to contend with. Illinois could be on the verge of an economic boom, but people like you are trying to crush it before it begins. I really despise your type. Hypocrites and liars.

What type is that?

What type is that?

:lmao:

putting the oblivious aside

people like you are against something just b/c.

You don't need actual facts, all facts, or any facts.

You saw a flaming faucet, herd "Big Oil" and just knew it was bad, even though you don't know.

Big Evul Oil makes 3 cents off every gal of gas
Big Government makes over 40

you hate one and demand the other tax the first even more.

Forum List

Back