Big local government in Ohio town forbids nativity scenes in your own front yard.

Good for the Township...

What's your problem with nativity scenes in people's own front yards?
I have no problem with nativity scenes in people's own front yards.

So why do you support the Township prohibiting them?

One would think that conservatives would praise this an example of their belief that government power should be concentrated at the local level.

There is a difference between concentrating government at lower levels, and expanding government power by loading it up at lower levels.

Paul McCartney tells the story of when they were young, he and John Lennon were up late and practicing their music at his house. John left late and the next day said to McCartney, "Boy, those neighbors are something else! They were all gambling in the front lawn when I left last night!"

It was a Nativity Scene. Lennon was blind as a bat. :p

The best resolution would be if one of his neighbors took a flame thrower to the Zombie Nativity and left the town out of it

The best resolution would be if one of his neighbors took a flame thrower to the Zombie Nativity and left the town out of it
The best resolution is for people to follow the law and if the law is unjust or unjustly applied then fight it with words, not flamethrowers.

flamethrower3.jpg

Good for the Township...

One would think that conservatives would praise this an example of their belief that government power should be concentrated at the local level.

There is a difference between concentrating government at lower levels, and expanding government power by loading it up at lower levels.

Well then, who should decide how much and what sort of zoning a community should have?

Good for the Township...

I don't... but what is described here is not a Nativity scene.

Rather, it is a parody which is intentionally insulting of Christian tradition, needlessly inflammatory, and foolhardy and reckless in its risk to local peace and quiet.

I would also expect the township to order taken-down a masturbating Lawn Buddha or a Lawn Muhammed kissing a camel's ass or similar incendiary imagery.

Rather like a visual variant of the falsely "Yelling f'ire' in a crowded theater" concept, as an example of a practical curtailment of free speech and expression.

Stupidly anger and provoke people in such a way, and they'll find a way to shut you down.

Some people just can't help pissing into the wind, but, in the end, they're left with nothing more than cold, wet, smelly pants.

Not exactly the brightest crayons in the box.

Lol, you caused a stampede of Christian righties to the other side of the boat.

Good for the Township...

I don't... but what is described here is not a Nativity scene.

Rather, it is a parody which is intentionally insulting of Christian tradition, needlessly inflammatory, and foolhardy and reckless in its risk to local peace and quiet.

I would also expect the township to order taken-down a masturbating Lawn Buddha or a Lawn Muhammed kissing a camel's ass or similar incendiary imagery.

Rather like a visual variant of the falsely "Yelling f'ire' in a crowded theater" concept, as an example of a practical curtailment of free speech and expression.

Stupidly anger and provoke people in such a way, and they'll find a way to shut you down.

Some people just can't help pissing into the wind, but, in the end, they're left with nothing more than cold, wet, smelly pants.

Not exactly the brightest crayons in the box.
It is not any level of government's place to judge the social value of a holiday display. They should mind their own damned business and especially not do something just to please the scandalized church ladies who apparently hate everything fun.
But it IS up to government to judge and maintain the criteria required for public order and safety.

Hyper-incendiary imagery can disturb that public order and safety.

The Township is merely being proactive, from that perspective, in this case.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Like I said earlier... piss off enough people, severely enough, and they will find a way to shut you down.

It's the way the Real World works.

Hyper-incendiary imagery

....Is constitutionally protected free speech.
There are limits.

Those limits are judged by the community and the state and the courts, within a Constitutional framework.

And, those limits which the community finds difficult to enforce one way, they will find other ways.

As seen in your own illustration.

As I said... if you're stupid enough to piss people off, badly enough, they will find a way to shut you down.

Hyper-incendiary imagery

....Is constitutionally protected free speech.
There's no indication this is a First Amendment free speech issue, the zoning ordinance is clearly an incidental restriction, seeking in no way to preempt or limit speech (see Clark v. Community for Creative Non-Violence (1984)). This is also not a Free Exercise Clause issue, as the ordinance has nothing to do with 'forbidding' nativity scenes or 'interfering' with religious expression.

There's no indication this is a First Amendment free speech issue

I disagree. I find it difficult to believe that nobody else in the entire town has a nativity scene up, or that any of them have been cited because of it. The selective enforcement would create first amendment issues.

That being said, you need to look closer. Cuntdor is saying this is about this particular nativity scene being offensive.

I disagree. I find it difficult to believe that nobody else in the entire town has a nativity scene up, or that any of them have been cited because of it. The selective enforcement would create first amendment issues.

That being said, you need to look closer. Cuntdor is saying this is about this particular nativity scene being offensive.

Hey, fuckwit, the zoning bans displays bigger than 35% of the yard.

I always marvel at the widespread objections to zoning, when in fact the zoning is done by the ELECTED representatives of the community.
And done to protect the values of the community and private property. Had this been a giant stripper poll they would have been knocking down the doors of city hall.

Hey, fuckwit, the zoning bans displays bigger than 35% of the yard.

Perhaps you'd like to add some sense to your diet?

Good for the Township...

They didn't prohibit a nativity scene.

Read your own link.

As usual, the RWs got it wrong.

But, gotta say, I love that last line. You cyber-warriors are reeeel scary.

Forum List

Back