Big gaps in Romney plan on pre-existing conditions

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
http://news.yahoo.com/big-gaps-romney-plan-pre-existing-conditions-070520547--election.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mitt Romney's plan to help people with pre-existing medical conditions: Hang on to your health insurance if you want to be protected.
The GOP presidential candidate wants to help those who maintain continuous coverage, a fraction of a much bigger group of people at risk of getting turned down because of medical problems.
Here's the catch: If you had a significant break in coverage, an insurer still could delve into your health care record, looking for anything — from a bad back to high blood pressure — that foreshadows future claims. They'd be able to turn you down.
That's a contrast to President Barack Obama's health care law, which guarantees that people in poor health can get comprehensive coverage at the same rates everybody else pays, and provides government subsidies to help low- to middle-income households pay premiums.
Starting Jan. 1, 2014, an insurer "may not impose any pre-existing condition exclusion," the law says.

Romney is stressing his pre-existing conditions plan as he works to soften his public image in the homestretch of a campaign that has tightened since his strong debate performance versus Obama.
"I do have a plan that deals with people with pre-existing conditions," he said during last week's debate.
The Romney campaign has not spelled out details other than it would help those who have maintained continuous coverage. That would entail incremental changes to insurance laws and regulations, and may or may not whittle down the number of uninsured, 49 million nationally.
"It will solve some of the problems," said health economist Gail Wilensky, a longtime adviser to Republicans. "It won't solve the problem of people having gone for a long time without health insurance."
<more>

More than perhaps any other feature of Robamneycare, the ban on exclusions of pre-existing conditions exemplifies the irrational expectations of voters. That that such an inane requirement has something like a 70-80% approval rating is disturbing. Are people really that fucking stupid?

More than perhaps any other feature of Robamneycare, the ban on exclusions of pre-existing conditions exemplifies the irrational expectations of voters. That that such an inane requirement has something like a 70-80% approval rating is disturbing. Are people really that fucking stupid?
Perhaps Willard should just tell the truth about the matter.

Perhaps Willard should just tell the truth about the matter.

That's very unlikely.

You two should start a insurance company and make sure you cover all and any pre-existing conditions. Let us know how it turns out, K

You two should start a insurance company and make sure you cover all and any pre-existing conditions. Let us know how it turns out, K

Is this addressed to me?

??

sorry, just re-read your post. I will now address it Political Junky only..

I really don't get how this is such a popular provision. But I suppose if Congress voted to write everyone in the country a check for $100,000, it would receive the same kind of idiotic support.

That is why insurance companies should not be running healthcare. The funny thing about pre-existing conditions is that we all have them. It's just a matter of whether or not they have yet been detected. Also, just having a pre-existing condition doesn't always mean a person is higher risk in real terms. I have cirrhosis of the liver, but it is early stage and I don't drink or do anything that could make it worse. I will likely live to a normal age without any complications. In fact, I am healthier overall than the vast majority of people my age, yet insurance companies would not accept me for private health insurance.

... insurance companies should not be running healthcare.

Agreed. And we should not be forced to buy their product. PPACA cements the insurance companies in place as the required method for financing our health care. Gee... thanks.

Last edited:

That is why insurance companies should not be running healthcare. The funny thing about pre-existing conditions is that we all have them. It's just a matter of whether or not they have yet been detected. Also, just having a pre-existing condition doesn't always mean a person is higher risk in real terms. I have cirrhosis of the liver, but it is early stage and I don't drink or do anything that could make it worse. I will likely live to a normal age without any complications. In fact, I am healthier overall than the vast majority of people my age, yet insurance companies would not accept me for private health insurance.

No we should just let This Administration run our health care and FORCE PEOPLE to buy their insurance

No we should just let This Administration run our health care and FORCE PEOPLE to buy their insurance

Yeah... the illogic of Robamneycare blows my mind. "Insurance companies companies are bad, to so save you from them, we're going to force you to give them money." Uh... how's that again?

We have a freaking 3,000 page law that nobody ever read and people think that there are "gaps" in the republican plan to revise it? You betcha there are.

Forum List

Back