Big game hunter crushed dead by elephant that he helped kill for fun

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
Mr Botha, described as a “passionate and professional hunting pioneer”, was crushed to death by the weight of the wounded animal on Friday.

News24 reported that the big game hunter had accidentally led clients into the middle of a breeding herd of elephants near Hwange National Park on Friday.

The professional hunter ran his own safari company – Game and Hounds Safari.

His website claims he “perfected leopard and lion hunting safaris with hounds in Africa”.

Big game hunter is crushed to death by elephant

I guess he never perfected elephant hunting safaris :dunno:

Mr Botha, described as a “passionate and professional hunting pioneer”, was crushed to death by the weight of the wounded animal on Friday.

News24 reported that the big game hunter had accidentally led clients into the middle of a breeding herd of elephants near Hwange National Park on Friday.

His website claims he “perfected leopard and lion hunting safaris with hounds in Africa”.

what does elephant taste like?

A few years ago I took in a black kitten that had frostbite on one foot. I knew its mother, a stray in the area. The mother always hung around, but she never really stayed, until one day I found her dead in the house. She came and went thru the cat door.

Before I buried her, I let her "son" Bob (Bobcat) see her. When Bob realized she was dead he let out a loud cry that I've never heard from a cat before. Bob has since died too, but that cry I will never forget. They have exactly the same emotions we have.

Last edited:
It happens. As an avid hunter I don't get too worked up about animals being hunted. But for me personally I see no point, or necessity in killing certain creatures. Elephants being one of them. Dolphins are another. Something about killing animals with great intelligence turns me off. Unless I'm starving... Then I'll kill, and eat anything. And I do mean "anything".

I have a few basic rules in life, one that I embrace wholeheartedly is that Mother Nature doesn't mess with me, and in turn I don't mess with Mother Nature. If someone is hunting an animal they must be prepared for the reality that the animal might decide that it wants to live and do the unexpected, or, you will find them in a situation like this and they will charge you.

One of the aspect of Native Indian culture that I admire is their respect for Mother Nature. They don't kill for fun or game, they kill to survive and they will use every last part of the animal they kill. Whether it's their skin for a blanket or the meat to eat, they honour what the animal gave to them. Killing for sustenance is entirely different than killing for sport, and as much as I don't judge those who do, I do find it runs contrary to my own philosophy.

I recall my dog when I was a kid. She had her puppies and my mother and I tended to them. Our neighbour came over and went towards one of her pups, I never saw my dog more fierce looking than at that moment, aggressively showing her teeth and insanity in her eyes, she was a moment away from pouncing. He slowly backed away and realized he wasn't welcome to go near her pups. He backed away wisely I might add and I felt my own fear being near her pups after seeing that though she never did that to me, and in fact, was protective of me whenever new people were at our home.

If anyone has ever read stories of some of the most experienced hunters, fisherman or general outdoorsman, they would all acknowledge that it might be the worst situation to accidentally stumble into an area which a bear cub is present. I've seen some of those "When Animals Attack" shows and in one an experienced hunter and his friend were attacked, the moment he saw the cub his heart raced because he knew they was in danger even though he didn't see the mother yet. These animals were breeding, so I imagine they were in the same frame of mind.

As was stated "sh__ happens", I won't celebrate his death but he knew the risks more than the average person.

Last edited:

I love stories like this.

Poor elephants !!

what does elephant taste like?
Probably tastes like beef -- it's a mammal just like any big mammal.

A few years ago I took in a black kitten that had frostbite on one foot. I knew its mother, a stray in the area. The mother always hung around, but she never really stayed, until one day I found her dead in the house. She came and went thru the cat door.

Before I buried her, I let her "son" Bob (Bobcat) see her. When Bob realized she was dead he let out a loud cry that I've never heard from a cat before. Bob has since died too, but that cry I will never forget. They have exactly the same emotions we have.
Kittens recognize their mothers, yes.

Anyway why did the momma cat die?

Any idea?

Hopefully you raised the kitten.

How old did the kitten get?

Last edited:
It happens. As an avid hunter I don't get too worked up about animals being hunted. But for me personally I see no point, or necessity in killing certain creatures. Elephants being one of them. Dolphins are another. Something about killing animals with great intelligence turns me off. Unless I'm starving... Then I'll kill, and eat anything. And I do mean "anything".
I won't kill anything except deer, elk, or antelope. These are my prey species. And I don't hunt them for trophies. I take the ugliest ones and leave the beautiful ones to mate and reproduce.

I hunt for meat.

God made me a meat hunter.

God made deer, elk, and antelope for me to hunt, kill, and eat.

It bothers me that people kill bears and coyotes. I consider these animals as co-equals to humans. They are both really smart.

Forum List

Back