Big Europe Wants To Pay Less of EU

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Poor big countries, they've been so used to having the US shoulder the costs for the organizations we jointly belong to. Now they are the 'big ones.' :boohoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050313/ap_on_bi_ge/germany_eu_budget

Germany Wants to Reduce EU Contributions

Sun Mar 13, 1:16 PM ET Business - AP

FRANKFURT, Germany - German Finance Minister Hans Eichel said in an interview released Sunday that he wants to reduce his nation's contributions to the European Union (news - web sites), citing the burden of paying for Germany's reunification.

Speaking to Focus weekly ahead of next week's EU finance ministers' meeting on the 2007-2013 budget, Eichel said that no country should have to contribute more than 1 percent of its gross national income to Brussels.

"We have an unbelievable amount to shoulder with the reunification, but are still contributing more (to the EU) than we are getting out," Eichel told Focus. "The Irish, whose standard of living is now ahead of ours are, however, receiving more than they contribute. That should not be the case."

Germany is currently the third largest contributor to the EU, after the Netherlands and Sweden — both of whom, along with Britain, France and Austria — are also pushing for a spending cap.

Eichel also criticized the fact that the bulk of the EU budget goes into agriculture subsidies and Germany, a leading contributor, sees very little of those funds flow back into its economy because it is not an agricultural state.

In addition, Eichel said he would continue to push for exemptions to the 3 percent budget deficit limit for nations using the euro, such as making major infrastructure investments or going through an economic downturn.

Germany, along with France, has violated the limit by running budget deficits exceeding 3 percent of gross domestic product for three consecutive years. However, both are on track to come under that ceiling in 2005.

Kathianne said:
Eichel also criticized the fact that the bulk of the EU budget goes into agriculture subsidies and Germany, a leading contributor, sees very little of those funds flow back into its economy because it is not an agricultural state.

Boohoo. Their answer: Quotas on poorer countries with large agri-based economies. Oh, and give them less money.

nosarcasm said:
the Us never paid into the EU fund. :spank3:
You misread, was referring to organizations such as UN, NATO, etc.

These idiots are so egomaniacal they forget that the biggest cost of leadership is responsibility. They had stars in their eyes I guess.

Kathianne said:
You misread, was referring to organizations such as UN, NATO, etc.

oh, misunderstood you there. I am just a disgrunteled former
German taxpayer that financed the whole party without having
the sayso about how to run the house.

Well as an American taxpayer I still see congress working
on their pet projects including 100000 $ toilet facilities.

But at least I do not have to finance every social fad that comes around.

Forum List

Back