Big difference between bp & this lot...

u2scram

Oct 26, 2010
Greg Palast

"Chevron petroleum Corporation is attempting to slither out of an $8 billion judgment rendered yesterday by a trial court in Ecuador for cancer deaths, illnesses and destruction caused by its Texaco unit.

I've been there, in Ecuador.

I met the victims. They didn't lose their shrimp boats; they lost their kids. Emergildo Criollo, Chief of the Cofan Natives of the Amazon, told me about his three-year-old. "He went swimming, then began vomiting blood." Then he died."

Greg Palast

"Chevron petroleum Corporation is attempting to slither out of an $8 billion judgment rendered yesterday by a trial court in Ecuador for cancer deaths, illnesses and destruction caused by its Texaco unit.

I met the victims. They didn't lose their shrimp boats; they lost their kids. Emergildo Criollo, Chief of the Cofan Natives of the Amazon, told me about his three-year-old. "He went swimming, then began vomiting blood." Then he died."

Thanks for this update, though this is still very sad to me, the destruction going on.

Reminds me of the $5 million settlement with Dutch Shell in Nigeria, where the conspiracy between the company and corrupt govt officials that led to the execution of Ken Sarowiwa.
That doesn't erase the genocide of the villagers and continued destructive exploitation.

I believe the damages and reparations should be paid to the indigenous people through a program transferring ownership of shares to the villages along with training in financial management to create sustainable investments in their future and restoration work.

http://www.houstonprogressive.org

Greg Palast

It amazes me that the media is only reporting one side of this story.

Actually, it doesn't.

Do you care at all about the level of fraud used by the plaintiffs to get this judgment, or the fact that none of the money will actually go to the people you pretend to care about, that it will be split among a few rich attorneys and the government of Ecuador?

Forum List

Back