Biden vs Palin Debate

Discussion in 'Congress' started by CA95380, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,407
    I'd rep you again if I could----you've nailed it. The have to find a different way to discredit her. Give em time--they'll come up with something. I'm sure they are digging like mad as we speak:dig:

2. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    I like this topic.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen larger dogs (even pit bulls) tuck tail and run from a yappy chihuahua.

3. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    If Biden's such a great debater, why did he get crushed in the primaries? Twice?

4. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    How does foreign policy experience experience have anything to do with foreign policy judgment?

Sandy Berger had tons of foreign policy experience, but he decided to tell the Sudan "no, thanks" when offered Osama in '96. Colin Powell, extremely experienced in this matter, wanted the Northern Alliance to hold off on taking Kabul so he can find some "moderate Taliban" with whom he could negotiate right after 9/11. Two terrible judgment calls by very "experienced" people.

Reagan, Clinton - no prior foreign policy experience, but popular two-termers. George Bush Sr. - CIA director, VP, foreign policy expert, but unpopular one-termer.

Also, if previous work making foreign policy is so important, then why do so few Secretaries of State ever make successful runs for Pres?

5. Inferno

Inferno boatwoman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Palin could handle the job. She just doesn't meet the criteria that McCain said he wanted. He changes his mind more than most people change clothes.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  6. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    He was a state senator, a part-time job, a law student, and a "community organizer" all the time McCain was in the U.S. Senate. You have to be consistent, either experience is highly important, in which case you would be for both McCain and Biden. Or it's not, which means your arguments against Palin are invalid.

7. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457

so wait, Biden should use kid gloves with her because she's a woman? Hell no! He should be just as tough on her as he would be on any man McCain would've picked!

She shouldn't get a pass cuz she has a vag!

She should be asked and be prepared to answer the tough questions about her experience, her knowledge of foreign policy, domestic issues, abortion rights, gun-control, her flip on the bridge to nowhere and any other myraid of issues that will certainly crop up between now and the debate.

If the media turns it into a "awww poor lil woman" scenerio that is an insult and will demonstrate that she's ill prepared to handle the rigors of the job she has been tapped for.

8. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Obama hasn't changed his mind on FISA, NAFTA, Public Financing of Elections, and the Cuba Embargo?

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,953
    Obama is magnificent with a microphone and a script, but he won't debate McCain because Obama is inarticulate, tongue-tied, and incoherent and/or commits gaffe after gaffe after gaffe when he can't have a teleprompter or somebody feeding him answers through a hearing device.

I have no clue what Palin's debating skills are, but I've seen Biden debate and he usually does get run over by people who are quicker on their feet.

As for experience, I think there were many people more qualified in government and politics than Palin, but nobody more qualified to bring a fresh perspective, a reformer's spirit unfettered by Washington alliances and ties, and a commanding appearance and intelligence to go with that.

Ultimately, does it make more sense for a qualified and experienced President to be showing an inexperienced Vice-president the ropes?

Or does it make more sense for an experienced Vice President to try to teach an inexperienced President the ropes?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  10. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,279
    Exactly, Biden can't win this one. Either he attacks her, and the media says "poor woman." Or he doesn't, and the media says he's coddling her because of gender. Of course, I may be wrong, being how disgustingly biased the media is.

You're right, she should be prepared to answer any questions thrown at her. The same goes for Obama, when it comes to experience, his affiliations with Ayers, Wright, and Pfleger, whatever. It's all fair game from this point.

The point about Palin is that whatever Biden attacks her with, it bites him in the ass. "You're not experienced." "Well, Mr. Biden, did you not also say that Obama was not ready to be President? Did Obama not say himself he wouldn't be ready in 2008?" You see, Biden's been put on a leash, and that's one of the reasons McCain chose her.