Biden: "Gen. Betrayus Flat Wrong On Iraq"

Discussion in 'Military' started by Psychoblues, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    When Will Lies About WAR Be Honestly Revealed For What They Are?

WASHINGTON - President Bush's war strategy is failing and the top military commander in Iraq is "dead flat wrong" for warning against major changes, the Democratic chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said Sunday.

Ahead of two days of crucial testimony by Bush's leading military and political advisers on Iraq, Sen. Joseph Biden indicated that he and other Democrats would persist in efforts to set target dates for bringing troops home.

"The reality is that although there's been some mild security progress, there is in fact no security in Baghdad or Anbar province where I was dealing with the most serious problem, sectarian violence," said Biden, a 2008 presidential candidate who recently returned from Iraq.

Gen. David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker were scheduled to testify before four congressional committees, including Biden's, on Monday and Tuesday. Lawmakers will hear how the commander and the diplomat assess progress in Iraq and offer recommendations about the course of war strategy.

Officials familiar with their thinking told The Associated Press over the weekend that the advisers would urge Congress not to make significant changes. Their report will note that while national political progress has been disappointing, security gains in local areas have shown promise, according to the officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were discussing internal deliberations.

Petraeus and Crocker will say the buildup of 30,000 troops, which bring the current U.S. total to nearly 170,000, is working better than any previous effort to quell the insurgency and restore stability. The officials also disputed suggestions that Petraeus and Crocker would recommend anything more than a symbolic reduction in troop levels and then only in the spring.

The testimony sets the stage for an announcement by Bush later in the week about he will proceed in the face of widespread public unhappiness and growing congressional discomfort with the war.

More: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20676775

The silence of Americans in the midst of this deafening screaming of the warmongers and war profiteers is beginning to disturb me.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    How exacltey would Biden know that Patreus is wrong? Because of some two day sight seeing trip he took in Anbar. "...in Anbar province where I was dealing with the most serious problem" Give me a fucking break senator. Yeah I'm sure he put in some real work there.

And quit makeing up these ficticious groups to make your argument Psycho. Warmongers? who are these people exactley that are simply giddy at the killing going on? War profiteers? Let me guess. Haliburton. Are they suppossed to attempt to rebuild an infrastructre for free simply out of the goodness of their hearts?

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,017
    Notice, as I said, the Dems are attacking the general BEFORE he even presents any information to Congress. Before they even ask him any questions they are already proclaiming anything he has to say is "wrong" How convenient that is.

4. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Who does David Petraeus think he is? He needs to keep his nose out of U.S. policy and deal with the business of the day to day operation of the war. If Congress wants his input regarding what U.S. policy should be they will ask for it as a private citizen. Also, Rep. Murphy who served in Iraq and who is now a member of the House of Representatives agrees with Biden. So the only person the General speaks for is himself. He doesn't speak for the soldiers and no one voted for him. On the other hand Biden does speak for those soldiers in Iraq who do not agree with you, and it is his duty to say what they cannot say and to be where they cannot be. This is why Biden and others should drill Petraeus.

5. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Biden would have already had conversations with the General and with the military and would know what his testimony would be as the Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. He would also have access to the opinions of current and foreign military officials (i.e., former Secretary of the Navy and current Senator Jim Webb who serves on his Committee) as well as those with diverse education and experience in foreign relations. If you believe that Senators will go into the testimony part of the hearings not knowing what the answers to their questions will be then you are really ignorant. Any good attorney would tell you to "never ask a question you do not already know the answer to." This is just as true of Senators and Representatives especially those whose experience and education gives them the necessary skills to serve on the Foreign Relations Committee of the Senate (i.e., lawyers serve on the Judiciary Committee). Biden has the experience and education needed to serve as Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. Petraeus may seem like he has more experience and first hand knowledge than the men and women who serve on the Foreign Relations committee but he does not. His experience is very limited to that of the military and therefore he does not have the general knowledge necessary to make U.S. foreign policy decisions. In essence he needs to keep his nose out of U.S. foreign policy and deal with the day to day operations of the war which Congress has assigned him to do. It is really convenient that you choose to ignore that they already know what he is going to say. If he doesn't stick with the facts than members of Congress would have every right to drill him. If he wants to cross the line between presenting Congress with the information they need to make a decision and formulating his own opinion about what Congress should do than he will find that they will expect more than 'I AM A GENERAL" as a response to their questions. :wtf:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Congress assigned Patraeus to Iraq ? :wtf:

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Of course, all the military folks that agree witht he Dems are credible; any military person that disagrees is not credible. That's the rules of the game as stated by the libs/Dems.

8. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Why bother arguing with this particular poster? His track record on this board is dismal, to say the least.

9. Edward

Edward Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You can try to twist what I said but I did not say that Congress assigned Petraeus to Iraq. Instead, I said they assigned him to deal with the day to day operations of the war in Iraq which is what they did when they appointed him as Commander of the Multi-National Force - Iraq (MNF-I) on January 26, 2007 after he was nominated to that position by the President. This position does not have any constitutional or legal authority to determine U.S. policy. :D His authority is over the day to day operations of the war.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Interesting how bin laden has timed the release of his tapes. I wonder if he is trying to influence American politics while Patraeus is testifying before Congress. You think he might really want America to withdraw it's troops from Iraq so he can declare victory? :eusa_think: