Biden - A regular working class Joe or an elitist politician?

42Presidents

CFT #1
Jul 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Since Barack Obama made his recent choice for VP, there have been a handful of articles describing Joe Biden as "working class" Joe and a clear representative of blue collar workers and families. Recently described in this article from USA Today In Biden, a life story to complement Obama's, it states Joe Biden is an excellent complement to Obama and should help to reach out to those voters Obama has struggled to reel in entirely.

Is this true, does Biden complement Obama? Does Biden's background represent the working class lifestyle? Will he connect with voters that Obama is unable to connect with?

Does anyone know if his wife is inherently wealthy? Not that I would typically care but just wondering. We all know even if the husband is not independently wealthy, the wife may just as well be.

And I would also say, Biden has been a U.S. Senator since he was 29. I doubt he's ever had to worry about putting food on the table.

June 2007 ...
His wife, Jill, teaches at Delaware Technical and Community College, but Biden is not required to report her salary. Jill Biden's assets, which include money market funds, real estate trusts and a pension fund, are worth $40,000-$250,000.

A look at Biden's net worth - Forbes.com

He's the son of a car salesman. That tells me all I need to know about him.

Anybody who gets an F by the NRA is obviously an elitist who thinks they know whats best for us working folk.

oh puleeze... elitist? pfffffft.....

elitist is wanting to get rid of all of our safety nets because you hate government and thing poor people are doing it on purpose just to suck from the government well...

getting an F from the NRA? for the author of the AWB? Not a thing to do with elitism...

oh puleeze... elitist? pfffffft.....

elitist is wanting to get rid of all of our safety nets because you hate government and thing poor people are doing it on purpose just to suck from the government well...

getting an F from the NRA? for the author of the AWB? Not a thing to do with elitism...

That isn't elitist by any means. Not anymore than thinking Big Brother knows what's best for you and should hold your hand cradle to grave.

Safety nets? Goverment safety nets are for cowards who can't make their own.

The NRA is a necessary evil. I don't like the NRA at all. If they get your name, you get more mail from them than Columbia House. But I like losing my Second Amendment Right even more.

Since Barack Obama made his recent choice for VP, there have been a handful of articles describing Joe Biden as "working class" Joe and a clear representative of blue collar workers and families. Recently described in this article from USA Today In Biden, a life story to complement Obama's, it states Joe Biden is an excellent complement to Obama and should help to reach out to those voters Obama has struggled to reel in entirely.

Is this true, does Biden complement Obama? Does Biden's background represent the working class lifestyle? Will he connect with voters that Obama is unable to connect with?

I'd say growing up the son of a car salesman would give someone a REAL good dose of working class lifestyle.

He's the son of a car salesman, and he's the least wealthy man in the senate, with net worth of around 100k or 200k, depending on how you slice and dice the assets and liabilities.

He's a product of public schools, and a product of the down scale Law School at Univ. of Delaware.

Obama is a self made man, and the son of a single mom.

I don't think their backgrounds will determine the election. But, I'd say its going to be a nice contrast to the two multi-millionaire elitists, McCain and Romney, the sons of famous, connected, and affluent families.

He's the son of a car salesman, and he's the least wealthy man in the senate, with net worth of around 100k or 200k, depending on how you slice and dice the assets and liabilities.

He's a product of public schools, and a product of the down scale Law School at Univ. of Delaware.

Obama is a self made man, and the son of a single mom.

I don't think their backgrounds will determine the election. But, I'd say its going to be a nice contrast to the two multi-millionaire elitists, McCain and Romney, the sons of famous, connected, and affluent families.

I'd say you're overstating McCain's "affluence" a bit. His father was a Naval Officer.

I DO agree however there isn't much question as to whether or not Biden has had a taste of the working class lifestyle, that being the question. If wasn't so anti-gun rights I could almost like him.

I'd say you're overstating McCain's "affluence" a bit. His father was a Naval Officer.

I DO agree however there isn't much question as to whether or not Biden has had a taste of the working class lifestyle, that being the question. If wasn't so anti-gun rights I could almost like him.

I thought McCain's dad was a famous world war 2 admiral, and a big cheese at the Pentagon? I think his grand father was an admiral too.

I wouldn't say he grew up in a super rich family. I don't think admirals are multi-millionaires. But, it was definetly a well connected family, with deep roots in Washington's power circles.

I thought McCain's dad was a famous world war 2 admiral, and a big cheese at the Pentagon? I think his grand father was an admiral too.

I wouldn't say he grew up in a super rich family. I don't think admirals are multi-millionaires. But, it was definetly a well connected family, with deep roots in Washington's power circles.

That's not "affluent" except in military and perhaps some government circles. Old money looks down their noses at that kind of "affluence."

I'm not sure what rank McCain's father was while he was growing up. For instance, my father retired a CMsgt (E-9), but he was an E-4, 5, and 6 while I was growing up. BIG difference.

However, I will give you that he probably had it at least a little nicer than a car salesman's kid ... I just won't go so far as to put him in the priveleged class.

That's not "affluent" except in military and perhaps some government circles. Old money looks down their noses at that kind of "affluence."

I'm not sure what rank McCain's father was while he was growing up. For instance, my father retired a CMsgt (E-9), but he was an E-4, 5, and 6 while I was growing up. BIG difference.

However, I will give you that he probably had it at least a little nicer than a car salesman's kid ... I just won't go so far as to put him in the priveleged class.

John McCain's father, John Sr. retired a 4 star Admiral, and so did his grandfather the O.G. John McCain.

Being the son and grandson of 4 star Admirals will open up a heck of a lot more doors than being the son of a car salesman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._McCain,_Jr.

Last edited:
That isn't elitist by any means. Not anymore than thinking Big Brother knows what's best for you and should hold your hand cradle to grave.

Safety nets? Goverment safety nets are for cowards who can't make their own.

The NRA is a necessary evil. I don't like the NRA at all. If they get your name, you get more mail from them than Columbia House. But I like losing my Second Amendment Right even more.

Damn sick old people!

They are such cowards!

Forum List

Back