Bicyclists Running Red Lights

I used o ride a lot. I did centuries every weekend with my friends and students and did the Badwater to Whitney Portals ride three times. However, I was pretty good about following the laws and would only blow a red light late at night when there was no traffic around.

Very occasionally I would blow a light during daylight but that was when I was running late for a meeting or some such. I was also very courteous to cars (after all they can squish you like a bug) but very frequently saw other riders acting like jerks. They would have acted the same way behind a wheel though. It's a person thing, not a vehicle thing.

Don't bicycle riders have to stop for red lights? Around my neck of the woods, I rarely see a bicyclist stop for a red light. They simply make sure they aren't going to get hit and then ride right on through.

Does anyone know of a bicyclist ever getting a ticket for running a red light?

Depends on where you live and if the cop is feeling particularly grumpy that day if you get a ticket.

Me? I've never been pulled over for running a red light, although I have been pulled over for doing 35 in a 25 mile zone on base. I quietly slipped my computer off of my handlebars and when asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said not really (even though my Vetta was accurate to around 1/10th of a mile in speed).

I've also ridden a bicycle from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL (5 days), rode one from Jacksonville FL to Newport RI (12 days), and from Newport RI to Norfolk VA (5 days). Why? Everytime I PCS'd while active duty and was into bicycling, I rode the distance to each duty station, just because I could, so yeah......I've got some experience.

However..........many motorcyclists have the same problem that bicycles do, which is that they aren't heavy enough or large enough to get picked up by the stop light and change. But, if you're on a busy road, it's not much of a problem, because someone will be along shortly to trip the light, but, if you're on a road that doesn't see much traffic (like the one where I go left onto 45th here in Amarillo), it's a residential street, and my bike won't trip the light. But, because it's not that busy, I just wait until it's safe to go and then start pedaling.

As far as being rude? Nope, I ride safe, the only time I yell is when some fat jackass on a cell phone isn't paying attention and almost runs me over. Generally I yell "shut up and drive", and because I have a large set of lungs (helped by cycling), I'm generally heard.

Damn...a vetta. I haven't heard that in a long time...I ride as well. I used to do the rosarita/ensenada ride all the time. My big ride on the east coast was the Ma. Muscular dystrophy 150. That was fun but no where near a 12 day ride. Damn bro. Good for you.

I was a Bianchi guy but now am a cannondale guy. The only thing bad about Arizona is, you will not ride 4 months out of the year during the summer. No freaking way. Oh and you know better than to speed on base. You know those idiots have nothing better to do than run the radar. :) I knew a guy who hit someone in a walkway on base in Miramar. Not a good thing. NOt for him.

Oh and question for you, were you one of those pretentious guys who would never get out of the clips and did the little dance when waiting to start up again? lol

Last edited:
Don't bicycle riders have to stop for red lights? Around my neck of the woods, I rarely see a bicyclist stop for a red light. They simply make sure they aren't going to get hit and then ride right on through.

I cycle almost every day. Damn rights I stop for red lights. It is enormously stupid not to. You can do it 1000 times and get away with it but it only takes once to put you in a wheelchair or a grave. I respect the road greatly.

I cycle almost every day. Damn rights I stop for red lights. It is enormously stupid not to. You can do it 1000 times and get away with it but it only takes once to put you in a wheelchair or a grave. I respect the road greatly.
316585284v2147483647_480x480_Front.jpg

Depends on where you live and if the cop is feeling particularly grumpy that day if you get a ticket.

Me? I've never been pulled over for running a red light, although I have been pulled over for doing 35 in a 25 mile zone on base. I quietly slipped my computer off of my handlebars and when asked if I knew how fast I was going, I said not really (even though my Vetta was accurate to around 1/10th of a mile in speed).

I've also ridden a bicycle from Memphis TN to Jacksonville FL (5 days), rode one from Jacksonville FL to Newport RI (12 days), and from Newport RI to Norfolk VA (5 days). Why? Everytime I PCS'd while active duty and was into bicycling, I rode the distance to each duty station, just because I could, so yeah......I've got some experience.

However..........many motorcyclists have the same problem that bicycles do, which is that they aren't heavy enough or large enough to get picked up by the stop light and change. But, if you're on a busy road, it's not much of a problem, because someone will be along shortly to trip the light, but, if you're on a road that doesn't see much traffic (like the one where I go left onto 45th here in Amarillo), it's a residential street, and my bike won't trip the light. But, because it's not that busy, I just wait until it's safe to go and then start pedaling.

As far as being rude? Nope, I ride safe, the only time I yell is when some fat jackass on a cell phone isn't paying attention and almost runs me over. Generally I yell "shut up and drive", and because I have a large set of lungs (helped by cycling), I'm generally heard.

Damn...a vetta. I haven't heard that in a long time...I ride as well. I used to do the rosarita/ensenada ride all the time. My big ride on the east coast was the Ma. Muscular dystrophy 150. That was fun but no where near a 12 day ride. Damn bro. Good for you.

I was a Bianchi guy but now am a cannondale guy. The only thing bad about Arizona is, you will not ride 4 months out of the year during the summer. No freaking way. Oh and you know better than to speed on base. You know those idiots have nothing better to do than run the radar. :) I knew a guy who hit someone in a walkway on base in Miramar. Not a good thing. NOt for him.

Oh and question for you, were you one of those pretentious guys who would never get out of the clips and did the little dance when waiting to start up again? lol

Actually, yes. If I think I can track stand through the light, then I will. I'm able to track stand for 30-45 sec at a time.

And no, I don't use toe clips, my Lemond (Campy Record equipped) has Speedplay pedals with Sidi shoes.

Bicycle traffic does not mix well with automobile traffic at all. In San Francisco we have agressive bike messengers who constantly run lights and come zipping down the sidewalks and flying off curbs right into heavy traffic. If anybody gets into an argument with them, they ride up behind them at the next stop light and kick out their taillight.

I have seen bicylists get reamed by city busses and run over by big-rigs. All laws pertaining to car traffic apply exactly the same to bicycles, including riding on sidewalks. Enforcement is rare.

Now for those damn motorcycles on the freeway: No two wheeled vehicles should be allowed on a freeway. They are a nuisance, especially when they go shooting between cars.They should be resticted to speeds under 45 MPH and there should be a sound test for their exhaust pipes.

But this is America and everybody knows how sacred the Biker Cult is here.

i've never seen a cyclist stopped. it's basically considered like jaywalking. (which we don't get tickets for here, either).

although the city just launched a series of ads with paulina porizkova about "don't be a jerk" which is aimed at cyclists

NYC DOT - Launch of "Don't Be A Jerk" Bike Safety Ad Campaign

I understand that bikes are supposed to get respect on the road, share the road and all that, but why on earth do the idiots insist on riding back roads in the middle of the lane? Am I just supposed to drive along at 10 mph until they feel like moving? I dont think so. and like I tell my wife, when you come around that turn in the road at the speed limit of 45 mph and there is suddenly a bike right in front, slow down if you can, but if it means hitting the bike or hitting another car head on? I choose the bike.
Now, I drive a 3500 pickup with the diesel engine (duramax rules) and I have it programmed. When I step down hard on it, it will belch out tons of black soot, carbon if you will. So what I like to do to the bikers in the middle is to slow down behind them, if they dont get the idea to pull to the side I drop it down a gear and let the turbo spool up, then when clear I stomp on it to pass. I bet it takes them a week of showers to get all that black off of them.

This works well on the convertible BMWs that have idiot drivers in traffic too. Ive blacked out more than one of them.. God made the diesel because he loved man.

The above post illlustrates something that I have noticed many times....a lot of hatred out there for bicyclists.....some drivers from the safety of their cars will shout and holler obscenities....but I will admit that some bicyclists can do things to piss off automobile drivers...thus the need for bicyclists to be very careful...especially of unattended dogs not on a leash.....I always carry pepper spray...can come in handy and not just for violent dogs...I also carry as in carry a concealed weapon/with permit...a lot of psychoes out there...cases of bicyclists being attack for no reason other than that they are on a bicycle...which truly pisses off people that think only cars should be allowed to travel the streets...another good reason to stay on the sidewalk.

Forum List

Back