Bickering over gun control and what it MAY cost you...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Grampa Murked U, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,740
    Let me start off by saying two things...

I support your right to own whatever firearm you choose short of fully automatic death machines.

I also believe this is more a mental health issue than a gun contro issue.

Having said that I also realize something else. Something more important. Something that most of you don't seem to be considering.

Congress doesn't care about solving the problem. They care about twothings, their agenda and most Iimportantly getting reelected. And to get reelected they aren't going to want to appear to be seen on the wrong side of this issue by the public. Recent polls have suggested that opposing gun control at this point is the wrong side of the issue.

So rather than simply arguing to the point of no return on gun control and tossing in issues that congress WILL mostly ignore why not TRY to beat them to the punch by proposing sensible measures that BOTH sides will see as a concession? I truly believe that despite my personal feelings on the issue this isn't going to be swept under the rug like it always is. To many the safety of their children is more important than their right to own a weapon. Right or wrong that sentiment will beat your ardent rights argument because the only ones that have to be convinced are the weasels in DC.

Don't get left behind because you won't bend. You don't have to lose anything if you can put forth a reasonable idea that both sides in DC can grasp onto. There are many ideas out there from the extreme to nothing at all. Once the major polls start rolling in congress will be forced to act so beat them to the punch with ideas. Or sit back and watch your rights be whittled into nothing over time.

I have tossed out some ideas and most of you shoot them down for trivial reasons like criminals will find a way around biometrics. While probably true that analogy suggest that we shouldn't even bother locking our doors to begin with. Its a terrible excuse and excuses like that will cost you this battle.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,263
    One. The assault weopons are created for one purpose only, to kill a large number of people rapidly. Require the same license for a semi-automatic rifle as for a fully automatic one. After all, what is the differance? 30 shots in under ten seconds with a semi-auto in a crowded mall or a school room is hardly any differant that a fully automatic. If someone is caught outside their home with an AK or AR with no license, the weopon is confiscated and destroyed, and the person faces jail time.

Two. If you store you guns, of any type, carelessly, and someone takes one and uses it in a crime, you own that crime.

Three. Somehow, we have to address the problem of the mentally ill in our population. After they have committed a crime, it is far too late. Too late for the victim, too late for the mentally ill person.

3. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,740
    Most pistols can be fired just as fast as a semiautomatic AR.

Where do you draw the line then?

Banning asault rifles won't stop murders so what is the point?

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,263
    Would you note that I did not say ban. I said that you have to pass some stringent requirements to own or purchase one. And if you are caught without that license with one of these weopons, the weopon is confiscated and destroyed, and you face jail time.

These pistols with 15 shots or more should have the same laws as we do for hunting shot guns. You plug the magazine so that there is a maximum of six shots. If you cannot defend yourself with that amount, you should not have the weopon.

5. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,740
    Fair enough.

6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,263
    It is time for sane gun owners to come together and pass laws that would prevent most of the atrocities with have seen in the last decade.

We have the insane claiming that what is needed are even more guns. And that is what we have seen for the last decade. Ever more weopons out there. And ever more atrocities committed by the crazies that the NRA has armed.

Time for an end to the insanity.

7. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,740
    What would you suggest the requirements be to be licensed for an AR?

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,263
    Same as a fully automatic weopon.

9. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,713
    I am of the opinion that this problem cannot be attacked on the gun control angle and it is foolish to try, already too many dangerous combat weapons in circulation and driving them underground is hardly going to help anything. I do not feel there is an actual solution but there are a lot of ways to attack this from a mental health/law enforcement angle that might not make the gun nuts close ranks and freak out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. 9thIDdoc

9thIDdoc Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,663
    You suggested almost nothing that is constitutional.
    What guns I have and how much ammo they can hold is none of your damn business.