Biblical evidence of a premortal existence of man

onefour1

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2014
LDS believe that the spirits of all men existed before coming to this world. We weren't just created in this life but lived as spirit children of God before coming here.

Before the earth was created, there was a war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against Satan. 1/3 of the hosts of heaven followed Satan and the other 2/3 followed God.

Revelation 12:3-4, 7-12
3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

In these verses we see that there was a war in heaven between Michael and Satan (v 7). We learn that Satan wasn't alone but had his angels (v 7,9). Michael was also not alone but had his angels (v 7). Satan and his angels were cast out of heaven into the earth (v 9). Who were these beings in heaven that were warring? Verse 10 has a being exclaiming that Satan was accusing our brethren before God day and night. The brethren were those on the side of Michael who fought against Satan and his angels. Verse 11 is the interesting verse. It tells us that these brethren, who fought on the side of Michael, overcame Satan and his angels by the blood of the Lamb. The Lamb is Jesus Christ who shed his blood as an atonement for our sins. But who is in need of the blood of the Lamb? Is it not the sinners? Sinners do not exist in heaven with God. Once Adam and Eve sinned they were no longer allowed in the presence of God. So these brethren who fought on the side with Michael came down to this earth as mortals and needed the blood of the Lamb to overcome Satan. These very beings who existed before the world was and fought valiantly with Michael for the cause of righteousness, came down to this earth to overcome Satan eventually by the blood of the Lamb. The war in heaven, before the foundation of this earth, was a war between Satan and his angels and those of us who have come to earth and received a body. We all were among the valiant in heaven who fought against the devil. We existed before this world was created as the spirit children of our Father in heaven.

To the prophet Jeremiah, the Lord said:

Jeremiah 1:4-5
4 Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Jesus' disciples once asked him:

John 10:1-2
1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

This verse implies that in order for the disciples to question whether the man himself sinned in order that he was born blind, they had to believe that the man existed before he was born.

Ecclesiastes 12:7
7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

If a spirit is to return unto God, it must have been there before.

Hebrews 12:9
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Fathers of the flesh are differentiated from the Father of spirits. God is the literal Father of our spirits.

In the book of proverbs we read about wisdom.

Proverbs 8:22-31
22 The Lord possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no fountains abounding with water.
25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills was I brought forth:
26 While as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the highest part of the dust of the world.
27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:
28 When he established the clouds above: when he strengthened the fountains of the deep:
29 When he gave to the sea his decree, that the waters should not pass his commandment: when he appointed the foundations of the earth:
30 Then I was by him, as one brought up with him: and I was daily his delight, rejoicing always before him;
31 Rejoicing in the habitable part of his earth; and my delights were with the sons of men.

Job 38:1-7
1 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

LDS believe that the spirits of all men existed before coming to this world. We weren't just created in this life but lived as spirit children of God before coming here.

Before the earth was created, there was a war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against Satan. 1/3 of the hosts of heaven followed Satan and the other 2/3 followed God.

3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.

7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.

11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

In these verses we see that there was a war in heaven between Michael and Satan (v 7). We learn that Satan wasn't alone but had his angels (v 7,9). Michael was also not alone but had his angels (v 7). Satan and his angels were cast out of heaven into the earth (v 9). Who were these beings in heaven that were warring? Verse 10 has a being exclaiming that Satan was accusing our brethren before God day and night. The brethren were those on the side of Michael who fought against Satan and his angels. Verse 11 is the interesting verse. It tells us that these brethren, who fought on the side of Michael, overcame Satan and his angels by the blood of the Lamb. The Lamb is Jesus Christ who shed his blood as an atonement for our sins. But who is in need of the blood of the Lamb? Is it not the sinners? Sinners do not exist in heaven with God. Once Adam and Eve sinned they were no longer allowed in the presence of God. So these brethren who fought on the side with Michael came down to this earth as mortals and needed the blood of the Lamb to overcome Satan. These very beings who existed before the world was and fought valiantly with Michael for the cause of righteousness, came down to this earth to overcome Satan eventually by the blood of the Lamb. The war in heaven, before the foundation of this earth, was a war between Satan and his angels and those of us who have come to earth and received a body. We all were among the valiant in heaven who fought against the devil. We existed before this world was created as the spirit children of our Father in heaven.

This is prophecy - not a review of history. Satan at this writing has permission to go before God and accuse the brethren. He is going to be cast out - in the future - where he will no longer have access to God to accuse the Brethren. This has not yet happened. (See Job 2:1-7) It is going to happen. That is why it is called "prophecy". You are being misled by the false teachings of the Mormons. Joseph Smith was an occultist. Not a prophet of the LORD.

This is prophecy - not a review of history. Satan at this writing has permission to go before God and accuse the brethren. He is going to be cast out - in the future - where he will no longer have access to God to accuse the Brethren. This has not yet happened. (See Job 2:1-7) It is going to happen. That is why it is called "prophecy". You are being misled by the false teachings of the Mormons. Joseph Smith was an occultist. Not a prophet of the LORD.

Nowhere in Job 2:1-7 does it say that Satan was allowed back into heaven. It only states:

1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.
2 And the Lord said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

The sons of God on earth were presenting themselves before God and Satan came among them also. All happening on the earth. The Lord appeared before Satan and allowed him to do what happened to Job. Man presenting himself before God was common and such is the case also in the following verses:

Job 1:6
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

Leviticus 14:11
11 And the priest that maketh him clean shall present the man that is to be made clean, and those things, before the Lord, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:

Leviticus 16:7
7 And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the Lord at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

Jeremiah 42:9
9 And said unto them, Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel, unto whom ye sent me to present your supplication before him;

Jeremiah 36:7
7 It may be they will present their supplication before the Lord, and will return every one from his evil way: for great is the anger and the fury that the Lord hath pronounced against this people.

Daniel 9:20
20 And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God;those things, before the Lord, at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation:

Last edited:
We are the literal offspring of God:

Acts 17:28
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Acts 17:29
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Genesis 1:27
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

We know from the story of the Garden of Eden that Satan was already in the earth at that time. He had already been cast out of heaven into the earth. Revelations 12:8 tells us that he would never again be in heaven.

Revelation 12:7-8

2 Timothy 1:9
9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

This verse tells us that we were given holy callings in Christ Jesus before the world began.

Ephesians 1:3-5
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

This verse tells us that we were blessed with spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ and that we were chosen in him before the foundation of this world and predestinated to become his children through the principle of adoption in this world. We become the children by receiving his gospel in this life and following his teachings.

It's obvious you refuse to accept as scripture what your mind cannot grasp

Joseph Smith's most significant work is the Book of Mormon and I haven't seen anything close that would resemble the occult in that work

non-LDS bible scholars have discovered that there is a divine council of gods. See thedivinecouncil.com by Dr. Michael Heiser. Although this is a recent discovery by some, Joseph Smith spoke of this back in 1844.

"In the beginning, the head of the Gods called a council of the Gods; and they came together and concocted a plan to create the world and people it. When we begin to learn this way, we begin to learn the only true God, and what kind of a being we have got to worship." - King Follett Discourse
It is believed by the LDS that we were part of the council of gods before coming to this earth. Those who die may reunite with the heavenly council and those who have not yet been born are now a part of the heavenly council.

Although those in the council are called gods, they are not worshipped and have not reached perfection. Only the head God is worshipped. The rest are subordinate to the head of the gods. Psalms 82:6 tells us that those gods are actually the children of God.

Psalms 82:6
6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

As children of God they are called gods. Gods beget gods. Although Heiser doesn't make this connection, he does realize that there is and was a council of the gods. This just another example of the evidence of a premortal existence of man.

Consider the source. A madman no one wanted around so they exiled him to a tiny island. Hard to imagine how they very nearly excluded his writings from the Canon.

I have. John was called by Jesus, "the beloved". Hand picked by the Lord himself. Jesus, knowing his disciples more than we know ourselves, I trust his judgment. John truly was an Apostle of the Lord. John and the other Apostles went through the persecutions that Jesus suffered. You shouldn't always trust the establishment.

It is a beautiful belief of the LDS. Parents talk about their children as souls called out of heaven and entrusted to them. I don't have any strong inclinations either way, but I do love this about the Mormons, this belief of theirs.

may as well believe in Zeus and Thor

There is much evidence that Christ himself existed prior to coming to this earth.

John 17:1-5, 24
1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.
. . .
24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

John 1:1-3,14
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
. . .
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1 Peter 1:19-20
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Forum List

Back