Bible trivia? Or how about the Koran?

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
Can anyone repeat a basic rundown on what the Bible says about borrowing and lending?

For those who know the Koran. Does the Koran say anything about borrowing and lending?

I'm not especially familiar with the specifics of Islamic banking and finance. Basically, the Qur'an permits borrowing and lending so long as interest isn't collected on loans.

O you who believe, devour not usury, doubling and redoubling, and keep your duty to Allah, that you may be successful. - 3:130​

And whatever you lay out at usury, so that it may increase in the property of men, it increases not with Allah; and whatever you give in charity, desiring Allah’s pleasure -- these will get manifold. - 30:39​

Last edited:
Believe it or now, despite what Shogun would tell you, debt forgiveness was pat of the Jewish system

every seven years, if I recall

true.

that's where the statute of limitations on suit for contract came from (at least in NY), I believe...after the end of the sixth year (and start of the seventh), the debt is forgiven.

Believe it or now, despite what Shogun would tell you, debt forgiveness was pat of the Jewish system

every seven years, if I recall

All debts are to be forgiven in the year of the Jubilee; every fifty years.

A Hebrew may sell himself into servitude for a period not to exceed seven years, or the year of the Jubilee, whichever comes first. He may redeem himself or be redeemed by a kinsmen at any time.

Many of this country's original settlers payed for their passage to America by selling themselves into bonded servitude for seven years.

Forum List

Back