Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Bible taught in school
to ACLU's chagrin
300 public districts nationwide
filling 'gap in education

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com
Although the ACLU has declared the practice unconstitutional, the Bible is being used as a textbook in classes taught in 300 school districts nationwide, according to a curriculum provider.

About 1,000 high schools in 35 states are using material produced by the North Carolina-based National Council On Bible Curriculum In Public Schools in classes during regular school hours.

The organization says that while the ACLU is "up in arms" about it, there have been no complaints from administrators, teachers, students or parents.

NCBCPS says 93 percent of all the school boards it has approached to implement the curriculum have accepted it.

"This paradigm shift is not only taking place in the Bible Belt but in school districts in Alaska, California, across the board to Pennsylvania and down to Florida," the organization says.

Elizabeth Ridenour, the NCBCPS's president, explained to WND that people have been duped into believing that when the Bible was "removed" from public schools in 1963, that meant it couldn't be used in any form.

But the U.S. Supreme Court consistently has upheld the teaching of the Bible as literature, as long as it is not employed for devotional purposes or indoctrination.

Mike Johnson of the Alliance Defense Fund told WND that, nevertheless, the ACLU is trying to intervene when any district considers the curriculum.

"They routinely will send a letter to the board and try to imply that what [the schools] are considering is unconstitutional," Johnson said. "Of course, they know that is untrue."

Johnson said the ACLU, and its ally People for the American Way, have cited a 1998 court ruling on a Bible curriculum used in Lee County, Florida.

But Johnson points out that curriculum was a modified version of NCBCPS's that added elements making it unconstitutional, according to the court.

The organization's elective class, "The Bible in History and Literature," examines many aspects you wouldn't expect to find in a Sunday School class, Ridenour said, such as how the Bible influenced America's founding fathers, art, music and literature, including Shakespeare.

"There has been a gap in education," she said. "Unless you have a working knowledge of the Bible, it's difficult to understand our nation's history."

Ridenour notes, for example, that a secular research institute found that 94 percent of the documents that shaped the founding of the United States were based on the Bible. Among those documents, 34 percent of the contents were direct biblical quotations.

The NCBCPS, which has been working with school districts since 1994, says it's "amazed at the snowball effect that is taking place across America" as more districts adopt the material.
more

http://www.wnd.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43903

no1tovote4 said:
So when are they going to include the Dhammapada?

:tng:

Well I'm sure we can find some good historical value in that so why not...As long as it pisses off the ACLU Im happy!! :)

in Germany a quite secular state they teach religion in school
to those interested. It comes in Cathlic, Protestant, Muslim variety
and Philosophy for those not into religion.

Should work for everyone. With the many protestant churches in the
US I assume it would hard for them to agree on a curriculum.

Perfect example of the ACLU when they are insane.

I would love to see the overall scores (grades) of these schools as compared to the schools that stay away from the subject.

GotZoom said:
Perfect example of the ACLU when they are insane.

I would love to see the overall scores (grades) of these schools as compared to the schools that stay away from the subject.

Afterall isn't it the Liberals that stand for diversity of thought and inclusion of all that is academic??? :p:

Nosarcasm....Should work for everyone. With the many protestant churches in the
US I assume it would hard for them to agree on a curriculum.

Not if they stick to basics, this would be a good chance for them to come together for a common good. We may see more of this if successful numbers come in.

They did this at my school for Humanities.
I wasn't cool with it at the time so they let me slide
on that protion of the class and I got to go to the lybrary for an hour
everyday for the duration of that course.

JOKER96BRAVO said:
They did this at my school for Humanities.
I wasn't cool with it at the time so they let me slide
on that protion of the class and I got to go to the lybrary for an hour
everyday for the duration of that course.

Ummmmmm......

Bonnie said:
Bible taught in school
to ACLU's chagrin
300 public districts nationwide
filling 'gap in education

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

more

http://www.wnd.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43903

Now WHY would the ACLU be against teaching the Bible in a historical context when they are just fine with the schools teaching about the Koran in the same context??? Maybe a lib here could explain it. :smoke:

Forum List

Back