Bible scholar tells the truth about Christianity

"Did Jesus exist" is something an Evangelical could quote from to defend the historical existence of Christ. So maybe there are some positives to come out of Ehrmans long dark night of the soul. But until he comes out the other side of this dark and distrustful cloud, he seems to live under, most of what he says is rather boring really and little to do with Jesus. That is assuming he ever does come out the other side- as I pray he will. I would be interested to hear what he says about Jesus when he finally meets him for real. His thoughts right now are not worthy of the intellect God gave him. That he is lauded as a great bible scholar when he in fact does little if any biblical theology and far more in the way of historical criticism would be funny if it were not so sad and typical of so many theological institutions these days.

I would hardly compare Eherman to John of the Cross who first used those words - Dark night of the Soul - because Eherman does not appear to have any acquaintance with suffering whereas John of the Cross was defined by it - his most famous stanza - Oh living flame of love - how tenderly you wound - this was a man intimate with Christ and suffering. Ehrman? Not so much. Unless we consider someone forced to read his writings - that would surely qualify as suffering!

"A BRIEF REVIEW

To recap briefly, the Romans had driven an iron shaft into the
stone face of the tomb to stop the 13-foot seal-stone from
being rolled to the side and the tomb being opened.

Their purpose: that no one could ever remove the body.

The record states that the stone was then “sealed”. (Matthew
27:60,66)

It would be impossible to bend this 35 centimetre (1.4 inch)
thick shaft, much less snap it off, simply by pushing the
seal-stone against it.

As noted, to move the great stone even one inch, the shaft must
first be taken out.

However, when we examined the hole that held the metal shaft, we
found that the shaft was still in there! What was left of it,
that is.

It was sheared off, level with the wall.

The appearance of the metal was consistent with its having been
sheared off when struck with a tremendous force from the
right-hand side.

According to an engineer, the shear strength of this peg was
approximately 60 to 80 tons.

To put it another way, a metal peg of such thickness would
withstand 60 to 80 tons’ pressure before it actually snapped off."

Archaeology Answers About Ancient Civilizations Indus River Valley Ancient Maps of the World Ancient India Civilizations Ancient China Civilization Strange Pictures Dead Men s Secrets Lost Technology and more...

"Did Jesus exist" is something an Evangelical could quote from to defend the historical existence of Christ. So maybe there are some positives to come out of Ehrmans long dark night of the soul. But until he comes out the other side of this dark and distrustful cloud, he seems to live under, most of what he says is rather boring really and little to do with Jesus. That is assuming he ever does come out the other side- as I pray he will. I would be interested to hear what he says about Jesus when he finally meets him for real. His thoughts right now are not worthy of the intellect God gave him. That he is lauded as a great bible scholar when he in fact does little if any biblical theology and far more in the way of historical criticism would be funny if it were not so sad and typical of so many theological institutions these days.

I would hardly compare Eherman to John of the Cross who first used those words - Dark night of the Soul - because Eherman does not appear to have any acquaintance with suffering whereas John of the Cross was defined by it - his most famous stanza - Oh living flame of love - how tenderly you wound - this was a man intimate with Christ and suffering. Ehrman? Not so much. Unless we consider someone forced to read his writings - that would surely qualify as suffering!

You are right it does not really appear to be a painful experience for him and in fact his deceived self perception is of someone who brings light rather than darkness. I just hope he comes out the other side cause then I would be interested to hear what he had to say about Jesus.

Forum List

Back