Bible question

no1tovote4 said:
Many Christians believe that this would be because of the New Covenant that released the people from the old laws so that they may go among all the people to preach the gospel. The new covenant was predicted in Jeremiah.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=30&chapter=31&verse=31&version=31&context=verse

And spoken of often in the New Testament.

The old laws were made to keep the people as pure as possible, and that they might make themselves pure through sacrifice so that the Lord would not turn away from them. By the New Covenant you are made pure by the blood of Christ and through that one sacrifice you were given the gift of salvation.

The "new covenant" seems to be mostly in Hebrews, with a disputed mention in connection with the Last Supper in 2 Gospels - have I missed some important passage?

Doesn't Matt 5:17 suggest that the new covenant would maintain the commandments of the existing Jewish law? If not, where do we find which things are gone and which remain?

mrsx said:
The "new covenant" seems to be mostly in Hebrews, with a disputed mention in connection with the Last Supper in 2 Gospels - have I missed some important passage?

Doesn't Matt 5:17 suggest that the new covenant would maintain the commandments of the existing Jewish law? If not, where do we find which things are gone and which remain?

If you look in Acts, you will see that the New Covenant is often spoken about without using the words "new covenant".

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=10&version=31

In this particular Chapter it speaks of the whole Kosher thing, which were laws as serious as any other.

Peter's Vision
9About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles of the earth and birds of the air. 13Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14"Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything impure or unclean."

15The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

By changing many of the laws He made it understood that the laws that people had used previously to cleanse themselves, make them more pure before sacrifices made them pure enough to enter the presense of God, were no longer required, that God had made them clean through His sacrifice.

mrsx said:

There was a difference between commandments and laws used to make them more "pure", such as not cutting the four corners of the hair, or eating kosher, or how to cleanse themselves specifically before certain things. The Commandments, would remain the same, thus things specifically mentioned as sins (commandments) are still sins, but those things that were mentioned that would make one "unpure" or "unclean" would not.

Your original question was about homosexuality, that sin is also specifically mentioned in the New Testament portion of the Bible. It would not be a good example of this particular line of questioning.

Arabian said:
hi friend
actually if u notice the link JOb sent to you you will see that the name of the site is
answering islam
so its what other think about islam,, not what muslims says about islam,, or let us say what qur'an says about islam and other religion,,
u can read these links it could help you

http://www.answering-christianity.com/contra.htm
http://saifur.tripod.com/muslimview.html
http://www.answering-christianity.com/ac.htm
read the left links in this page

and what i do believe in
how could any christian be sure that the message of jesus came to them complete and without any corruption,, if they do believe that they followers change and edit some passage,, though they dont belive that they followers are prophets,, and there are lots of copies of bible,, and they all arent the same,, i dont mean in translation but in its content too,,,
thats what i believe in friend,,, but i didnt study it in my school
Thank you for the links. There is a lot to think about here. I am especially interested in the commentary on Matthew 15:24. I wonder why I never noticed these things before! I would like to ask you about the Holy Koran. I can only read in English translation, but Surah 110, "The Unbelievers" seems to teach ignoring those who will not accept Islam, perhaps like Matt 10:14. My question is: when is the tolerance of Surah 110 used to guide a Moslem?

mrsx said:
I would like to ask you about the Holy Koran. I can only read in English translation, but Surah 110, "The Unbelievers" seems to teach ignoring those who will not accept Islam, perhaps like Matt 10:14. My question is: when is the tolerance of Surah 110 used to guide a Moslem?

In that case, might I suggest a "Koran Question" thread?

no1tovote4 said:
If you look in Acts, you will see that the New Covenant is often spoken about without using the words "new covenant".

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=51&chapter=10&version=31

In this particular Chapter it speaks of the whole Kosher thing, which were laws as serious as any other.

By changing many of the laws He made it understood that the laws that people had used previously to cleanse themselves, make them more pure before sacrifices made them pure enough to enter the presense of God, were no longer required, that God had made them clean through His sacrifice.
Yes, I can see that. Jesus says as much Himself in Matt 15:11. What else is out besides Kosher?

gop_jeff said:
In that case, might I suggest a "Koran Question" thread?
Sounds good to me. I hope interested posters will repair to "Koran Question"
thanks

mrsx said:
Yes, I can see that. Jesus says as much Himself in Matt 15:11. What else is out besides Kosher?

Read the post again, I added to it with the edit feature to make it clear. However I will repeat here as well.

Things that are directly commanded against as it is sinful would still be commandments, things that were laws to make them more pure or pure enough to give sacrifice so that they would be pure enough to be in God's presence would no longer be required as His sacrifice was made so that those laws would no longer be.... (not cutting four corners of hair, washing specific ways, sacrifice itself, eating kosher).

Hence the New Covenant.

I also would like to point out that your original question was speaking about homosexuality which was specifically mentioned as a sin in the New Testament as well, this would not be a good example of Commandments not mentioned in the New Testament.

mrsx said:

Laws about food, clothes, etc. are out, since they were designed to keep Israel ceremonially clean. Because Christ's blood is what makes Christian clean, there's no more need for the ceremonial cleanliness laws. However, laws about morality (adultery/fornication, blasphemy, etc.) are still in effect.

gop_jeff said:
Laws about food, clothes, etc. are out, since they were designed to keep Israel ceremonially clean. Because Christ's blood is what makes Christian clean, there's no more need for the ceremonial cleanliness laws. However, laws about morality (adultery/fornication, blasphemy, etc.) are still in effect.
Good! I understand now. Thank you.

no1tovote4 said:
Read the post again, I added to it with the edit feature to make it clear. However I will repeat here as well.

Things that are directly commanded against as it is sinful would still be commandments, things that were laws to make them more pure or pure enough to give sacrifice so that they would be pure enough to be in God's presence would no longer be required as His sacrifice was made so that those laws would no longer be.... (not cutting four corners of hair, washing specific ways, sacrifice itself, eating kosher).

Hence the New Covenant.

I also would like to point out that your original question was speaking about homosexuality which was specifically mentioned as a sin in the New Testament as well, this would not be a good example of Commandments not mentioned in the New Testament.
Thank you. I think I understand New Covenant now.

mrsx said:
Thank you. I think I understand New Covenant now.

No problem. It was fun. (Pretty good for a Buddhist, if I do say so myself. Man those childhood hours at church really paid off!)

Forum List

Back