Bible most shoplifted book of all time

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/books/review/Rabb-t.html

At BookPeople in Austin, Tex., the rate of theft has increased to approximately one book per hour. I asked Steve Bercu, BookPeople’s owner, what the most frequently stolen title was.
“The Bible,” he said, without pausing.

Apparently the thieves have not yet read the “Thou shalt not steal” part — or maybe they believe that Bibles don’t need to be paid for. “Some people think the word of God should be free,” Bercu said. As it turns out, Bibles are snatched even at the Parable Christian Store in Springfield, Ore., the manager told me, despite the fact that if a person asks for a Bible, they’ll be given a copy without charge.

irony-4_zpsc8a636df.jpg

I'm guessing it is also the most widely available free book. Many churches around here offer free paperback Bibles now and then at various 4-way-stop intersections.

I'm also guessing that the shoplifters go for the leather bound versions.

Mormons send out gazillions of theirs as well. And, as a kid, I remember our church giving children little white New Testaments.

I hadn't thought of it but you may well be right that the stolen copies are the most expensive ones.

Why does luddy post topics that are anti-religion? I am not a christian but i dont hate them, you and few other liberals on this board go out of your way to attack christians, dont deny it, so why do you hate god?

I'd be okay with my bible being stolen. If that's the only way a person can get their hands on one then so be it.
They probably need rolling papers...and the Bibles are easier to steal than rolling papers...

As a teen I rolled a joint with a bible page. First of all it was awful. Worst joint ever. And now I feel sick to my stomach that I ever thought it was okay to do that in the first place.

I'd be okay with my bible being stolen. If that's the only way a person can get their hands on one then so be it.
They probably need rolling papers...and the Bibles are easier to steal than rolling papers...

As a teen I rolled a joint with a bible page. First of all it was awful. Worst joint ever. And now I feel sick to my stomach that I ever thought it was okay to do that in the first place.

I used toilet paper and then cried when it went up in flames and I lost the weed. I was 3 hours from home and couldn't get another...

Good to hear. Maybe those shoplifters will read it sometime and repent of their sins.

Maybe you will too.

Why does luddy post topics that are anti-religion? I am not a christian but i dont hate them, you and few other liberals on this board go out of your way to attack christians, dont deny it, so why do you hate god?

What a crock.

I've been very clear in my opinions that what others choose to believe is fine with me as long as they don't try to shove their beliefs down my throat.

Its simply not possible to hate something I don't believe exists.

If you want to lie about me, why don't you take it the flame zone and stop trying to hijack this thread with lies.

Thanks.

I used toilet paper and then cried when it went up in flames and I lost the weed. I was 3 hours from home and couldn't get another...

I would think printed paper would taste awful and tp? That would be one little POOF!

I threw out a bible once. Does that mean I'm going to imaginary hell? Will that pedophile Santa Claus be there? :D

This topic is not anti-religion. In fact, it's extremely pro-Christianity to the extent that it serves as another proof that Luddly is an extremist right-wing conservatard that hates strong, independent womyn and wants lybyrylysm, and fymynysm along with it, to die out.

Hyr OP is merely a copy and paste of an article that is overtly pro-Bible, and thus anti-reason. She has not criticized it, and thus leaves standing the article's criticism of those that steal the Bible--presumably with the intention of burning it--which gives the impression that she believes that churches and their hateful books should be protected, rather than vandalized and/or banned.

Luddly is trolling you, NLT. She's a fundamentalist Christ-stain that won't stop until everyone here has come to hate the true enlightened lybyryls here, the ones that have rejected all religion as false, backwards, and bigoted.

This topic is not anti-religion. In fact, it's extremely pro-Christianity to the extent that it serves as another proof that Luddly is an extremist right-wing conservatard that hates strong, independent womyn and wants lybyrylysm, and fymynysm along with it, to die out.

Hyr OP is merely a copy and paste of an article that is overtly pro-Bible, and thus anti-reason. She has not criticized it, and thus leaves standing the article's criticism of those that steal the Bible--presumably with the intention of burning it--which gives the impression that she believes that churches and their hateful books should be protected, rather than vandalized and/or banned.

Luddly is trolling you, NLT. She's a fundamentalist Christ-stain that won't stop until everyone here has come to hate the true enlightened lybyryls here, the ones that have rejected all religion as false, backwards, and bigoted.

Oh dang.

You outted me.

:cuckoo:

How about you make your case here:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/threads/how-far-left-do-you-have-to-be.374443/

I threw out a bible once. Does that mean I'm going to imaginary hell? Will that pedophile Santa Claus be there? :D

Was it an imaginary bible?

Since there's no such thing as hell and no such thing as god or Santa, my bet is you won't have to worry about the Easter bunny and tooth fairies either.

Oh dang.

You outted me.

An admission of guilt at last.

Once again, I have been proven correct. The latest in my unending string of victories.

Forum List

Back