Bible Linked to Reported Militia Plans to "War" Against US

Right wing christians increasingly quote the Old Testament. Jesus was far too peaceful for their tastes.

I'm a Right wing Christian - and i believe a "true" Christian that studies their Bibles will NOT quote passages from the old testament. We're to spread the LOVE of God, which is what the NT is all about.

I'm sorry, let's be clear...are you claiming you reject the teachings of the OT? That you reject the very scripture Jesus taught? Doesn't that seem a little odd? And a slamming indictment against Judaism.

No, i don't reject anything the Bible teaches. Real Christians know that the only way to God and Heaven is through his son Jesus Christ. The difference between us and the Jews is that they don't believe the Messiah has come yet, they don't believe the NT so they only study the OT. We believe (and know) that the Messiah has already come. I would never put the Jews down for what they believe, because i believe they are Gods chosen. But many are blind, and many are moving toward the Christian belief also. I don't reject anything that Jesus taught, but He taught us through the NT, not the OT.

Right wing christians increasingly quote the Old Testament. Jesus was far too peaceful for their tastes.

They've always liked to quote the OT when convenient - for example, they'll pull out the old homosexuals are an "abomination" line on the one hand while skipping over the eating of shellfish (also an abomination)...not to mention rehashing the 10 Commandments when convenient even though Jesus himself had a much better unified theory of Commandments.

If you read the NT - go to Roman 1:18 and 1 Corinthians 6:9, these BOTH talk about homosexuality being a sin. The NT says NOTHING about foods that you can't eat (that's only in the OT - which that law was abolished in the NT). There are many laws that are mentioned in both the New and Old Testaments - but laws like what you can't eat or making sacrifices are no longer laws, Jesus made that happen. So, homosexuality in BOTH testaments is an abomination. Also, even though they don't talk about the 10 commandments in the NT, Jesus gave us these same commandments in the NT, just worded differently.

Any one can quote scriptures out of context.

I believe that was the point. Surely you can't claim that the Koran can't be quoted out of context too? The Koran says many things that can be interpreted as "evil." So can the Bible. Or the Tao te Ching, or the Vedas, etc. Cherry picking from a holy book does not mean that most, or even any, belivers of that religion share the interpretation gleaned from the out of context quotes.

I'm not well read on the Koran but I am on the Bible. And when I see idiots post quotes without putting them in proper context it proves that that person is truly an idiot.

Amazing, another example of twisted news slamming the Bible after all the terrorist acts committed in the name of..........let's see what's a nice Politically Correct line of 'BullKrap', The Quran, as I recall, has a long list of SURA's calling for the death's of the non-believers, Oh those nasty infidels.

For example to the best of my knowledge:
Sura72:15 “The disbelievers are the firewood of hell.”

Sura 5:51: “O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he among you that turns to them for friendship is of them.” This friendship makes any Muslim a enemy of their own and deserving of the same fate as the unbeliever. This is because God does not guide an unjust people.

Too many to list....What are we, as the so called infidels by these people, are we supposed to believe, that they all want PEACE? Someone enlighten me.

And this looks as if this thread may be heading for the 'Religion & Ethics' section.

Wow...I just love the accuracy of out-of-context cherry picked quotes. We can play the same game with the Bible of course but that's been done over and over.

Out of context?
Get a copy of the Quran, in fact get a couple, I have them and there are three interpretations,(tafsir's), all meaning the same thing.......NEXT? I am however, open to enlightenment of the virtues of the Quran. And YES, I know the Bible 'out of context' quotes and sayings, I think we all are are aware of them being used many times.

You have copies of he Quran? And all you've gotten from them is the violent part? Have you taken the time to read 'the rest of it'? It's a shame if you haven't. Because if you had, I think you would have discovered that the Quran is a lot like the Bible. That the vast majority of it simply outlines a lifestyle for a people. I'd imagine that since humans are seemingly innate violent creatures, both books have passages that teach their people to make war. Maybe one day you'll stop being angry long enough to read the rest of it and see why there are 1.2 billion muslims on the planet today.

As for Christianity, like Islam, it has some followers who simply can't get to the portions of their books that teaches tolerance and living together. I guess there is a side of human nature that manifests itself in some of us that draws us to the dark side of everything.......even religion..

Maybe one day we will out grow the need for invisible gods, and a morality enforced from the outside. Maybe one day we will be our morality will originate from the inside.

I am SHOCKED that those who Find it Offensive to Point out that the Jihadists who are Responsible for about 99% of the ACTUAL Terror on this Planet belong to Islam and do it in the Name of Islam, are Suddenly Silent when the AP and US Government Link this Group's ALLEGED Plans to the Bible and Christianity...

The Silence Speaks VOLUMES.

Thanks for the Illustration.

:)

peace...

To be honest, most people are silent because you're coming across as borderline something really bad. You accusations are so far from any reality that most of us have observed, that people may be unwilling to engage that sort of dillusional thinking, even in cyberspace. Maybe if you made an arugment that isn't so blatantly untrue on its face, you'd be able to attract some debaters.

People that only take passages from the OT to show how mean God is really has not read the entire Bible and should study the New Testament all the way through.

Ditto the Quran!!

I am SHOCKED that those who Find it Offensive to Point out that the Jihadists who are Responsible for about 99% of the ACTUAL Terror on this Planet belong to Islam and do it in the Name of Islam, are Suddenly Silent when the AP and US Government Link this Group's ALLEGED Plans to the Bible and Christianity...

The Silence Speaks VOLUMES.

Thanks for the Illustration.

peace...

To be honest, most people are silent because you're coming across as borderline something really bad. You accusations are so far from any reality that most of us have observed, that people may be unwilling to engage that sort of dillusional thinking, even in cyberspace. Maybe if you made an arugment that isn't so blatantly untrue on its face, you'd be able to attract some debaters.

What "Accusations"?...

Be Specific.

Quote me... It's being Documented. ;)

peace...

I'm a Right wing Christian - and i believe a "true" Christian that studies their Bibles will NOT quote passages from the old testament. We're to spread the LOVE of God, which is what the NT is all about.

I'm sorry, let's be clear...are you claiming you reject the teachings of the OT? That you reject the very scripture Jesus taught? Doesn't that seem a little odd? And a slamming indictment against Judaism.

No, i don't reject anything the Bible teaches. Real Christians know that the only way to God and Heaven is through his son Jesus Christ. The difference between us and the Jews is that they don't believe the Messiah has come yet, they don't believe the NT so they only study the OT. We believe (and know) that the Messiah has already come. I would never put the Jews down for what they believe, because i believe they are Gods chosen. But many are blind, and many are moving toward the Christian belief also. I don't reject anything that Jesus taught, but He taught us through the NT, not the OT.
Then you have to clarify how saying that Christian should NOT quote the OT and that the OT does NOT tell Christians how to live their lives is not a rejection of those teachings. Christians most certainly reject the dietary and other laws from the OT, that's basic Christian teaching and I'm not sure how you can say otherwise.

Then you have to clarify how saying that Christian should NOT quote the OT and that the OT does NOT tell Christians how to live their lives is not a rejection of those teachings. Christians most certainly reject the dietary and other laws from the OT, that's basic Christian teaching and I'm not sure how you can say otherwise.

I didn't say that Christians "should not" quote from the OT, i said true Christians "will not" quote from the OT. If you are truly a Christian, you know that when Jesus came He made some changes to some of the old laws (like sacrifices). If i want to know what Jesus feels about a certain situation, i go to the NT. The NT tells us everything we need to know to live our lives the way He wants us to. The OT is very interesting (sometimes) to read and learn about God. God used to actually speak to people...now since Jesus came and was risen, Jesus is the only way to God. We also have the Holy Spirit in us (if you're truly a believer in Jesus) which is Gods way of speaking to us and helping to keep us in line.

AP NEWS on MEDIA SITES

Recharging debate, Obama expands offshore drilling
Pope sees sex scandal as test; bishops urge reform
New England flooding drowns homes and dreams
Chechen militant claims Moscow subway blasts

Hmmm...

"Chechen Militant"...

I wonder if they are "Muslim"?...

I wonder why the AP REFUSES to Headline "Muslim", but nearly tripped over their own Dicks to Report "CHRISTIAN Militia" Obsessively in the Headlines...

peace...

Forum List

Back