Bible criticism

It was a lot of work to preserve works of literature in ancient times. There had to be some motivation to protect them. Again. Nobody is going to preserve the stuff that sucks.

The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. they took great pains to ensure accurate translations.

Are you talking to me?
Are you listening? :)

I agree. The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. They took great pains to copy it. That was the job of a scribe.

My point is that exceptional books were copied. Excellent books, great books, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked were forgotten. This includes the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Now you're just being stupid.

Sorry I said that wrong. The Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh were both exceptional books that were not forgotten. Only excellent books, great book, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked become forgotten. The Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible are still here. They are both exceptional books.
Please do provide concrete examples of how the Bible (OT) is exceptional reading.

Are you talking to me?

I agree. The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. They took great pains to copy it. That was the job of a scribe.

My point is that exceptional books were copied. Excellent books, great books, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked were forgotten. This includes the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Sorry I said that wrong. The Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh were both exceptional books that were not forgotten. Only excellent books, great book, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked become forgotten. The Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible are still here. They are both exceptional books.
Please do provide concrete examples of how the Bible (OT) is exceptional reading.

I'd love to. Stand by.

I'd love to. Stand by.
Why does this sound familiar?

Genesis 34

Dinah is raped. Her brothers conspire to obliterate the entire village of the rapists. They convince the whole village to undergo circumcision. While they are still in pain they kill them all. Very sneaky. Very creative.

Judges 9:8-16

The olive trees, the fig trees and the grape vine refuse an opportunity for power. The brambles and the briers as the least qualified accept the position and destroy the whole forest even the great Cedars of Lebanon.

Ezekiel 4:12-15

God tells Ezekiel to eat cakes made of human dung. Through prayer Ezekiel is able to change God's mind and instead is asked to use cow dung instead. Very powerful use of prayer.

There is much much more but I am trying to watch the presidential debate right now.

I'd love to. Stand by.
Why does this sound familiar?

Are you seriously going to go there?

They would consider it a mortal sin to lie about or change one letter of Scripture.

if that were so why were non of their scriptures etched in stone, free of interpretation and corruption from the very beginning.

Are you talking to me?

I don't have any examples for you.

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers.

A circle is not a sphere. The bible probably means a flat circular disk.
Really? Where did you get your Divinity degree? Are you fluent in the original languages the Bible was written in? If not, then you should refrain from commenting on that which you are completely ignorant of.

According to Jeremiah (the poster) the king James translation is the perfectly preserved word of God, so I don't need to study Aramaic and Hebrew to know what the bible says.
The King James translation is perfect? Again more ignorance.

The King James translation is perfect. If not then no translation is a standard. That means English speaking people can pick and choose which Bible they like. The English people can pick the Bible that best presents their own point view. The King James Bible and the New International Version have some vast differences.

Which English Bible is perfectly accurate? If none then I don't understand how anybody can be certain of anything. The only translation of which I am aware that is accused of being perfect is the King James Bible. If there is another then I would like to know about it.

Besides Dajjal didn't say the King James Bible was perfect. He said that Jeremiah said the King James Bible was perfect.
The group of men who put together the KJV did a great job, but there are no unicorns nor did they play bagpipes. There is a long list of verses in the KJV were other words would have been better and more accurate. The problem for every translation is that Greek has more words than English, and Hebrew has many meanings for single words. So the translator must attempt to create sentences that make sense in English.
A good read is Gods Secretaries, about the writing of the translation.

Really? Where did you get your Divinity degree? Are you fluent in the original languages the Bible was written in? If not, then you should refrain from commenting on that which you are completely ignorant of.

According to Jeremiah (the poster) the king James translation is the perfectly preserved word of God, so I don't need to study Aramaic and Hebrew to know what the bible says.

The King James translation is perfect. If not then no translation is a standard. That means English speaking people can pick and choose which Bible they like. The English people can pick the Bible that best presents their own point view. The King James Bible and the New International Version have some vast differences.

Which English Bible is perfectly accurate? If none then I don't understand how anybody can be certain of anything. The only translation of which I am aware that is accused of being perfect is the King James Bible. If there is another then I would like to know about it.

Besides Dajjal didn't say the King James Bible was perfect. He said that Jeremiah said the King James Bible was perfect.
The group of men who put together the KJV did a great job, but there are no unicorns nor did they play bagpipes. There is a long list of verses in the KJV were other words would have been better and more accurate. The problem for every translation is that Greek has more words than English, and Hebrew has many meanings for single words. So the translator must attempt to create sentences that make sense in English.

An unicorn is a one horned rhinoceros. Websters Dictionary 1828 - Webster's Dictionary 1828 - unicorn

The word dinosaur was not even a word in 1828. Websters Dictionary 1828 - Related

Does that mean no English translation is a standard? I have only heard of one translation accused of being the standard. No other English translation has been accused of being the standard.

That leaves two options. All Bibles that we read in English are wrong or the King James Bible is accurate.

Does that mean no English translation is a standard? I have only heard of one translation accused of being the standard. No other English translation has been accused of being the standard.

That leaves two options. All Bibles that we read in English are wrong or the King James Bible is accurate.
Every translation has issues, there is no 'standard'. It's about understanding those issues for whatever translation you prefer. Just because people 500 years ago didn't fully understand some things and believed unicorns existed and bagpipes were played does not make the KJV wrong, it simply shows the job of translation between Greek and Hebrew into other languages is difficult. Another example of the KJV wording is Thou shall not kill. Well, you step on an ant and you've killed. But the original Hebrew is thou shall not murder. Big difference but the message is still there.
The Khmer translation has difficulties, but it represents the message very well.

You should never get hung up on which Bible is the best. It's what's best for you. KJV, NKJV, NIV are all great translations. But none are perfect in wording but all keep the message intact.

Every translation has issues, there is no 'standard'. It's about understanding those issues for whatever translation you prefer. Just because people 500 years ago didn't fully understand some things and believed unicorns existed and bagpipes were played does not make the KJV wrong, it simply shows the job of translation between Greek and Hebrew into other languages is difficult. Another example of the KJV wording is Thou shall not kill. Well, you step on an ant and you've killed. But the original Hebrew is thou shall not murder. Big difference but the message is still there.
The Khmer translation has difficulties, but it represents the message very well.

You should never get hung up on which Bible is the best. It's what's best for you. KJV, NKJV, NIV are all great translations. But none are perfect in wording but all keep the message intact.

Most Christians ignore the Bible and rely on the Holy Spirit.

Only those that think they are Christian but wish to remain worldly sinners ignore the Bible.

Only those that think they are Christian but wish to remain worldly sinners ignore the Bible.

Only those that think they are Christian but wish to remain worldly sinners ignore the Bible

only those who read the bible could be christian, sinners or not those who read it can not be the same as those who do not. there can not be christianity as a visual religion.

theirs is a visual, spoken religion as is meant to be.

Forum List

Back