Bias on Display

fwiw...

Over the past few days I've seen the usual suspects on both sides of the aisle betray their partisan bias and ignore basic sense in a mad scramble to pour criticism and derision on the other "guy." The most glaring examples are Obama's "paygrade" response and McCain's inability to deliver a precise answer to the question of homes owned. The same people that defend, excuse or dismiss Obama's comment are all over McCain for being an "elitist" and "out of touch" with the common man because he doesn't know the exact number of homes he and his rich wife own. To me that's just silly. There are far more important things I'd like our potential future leader to be fully abreast of than every last asset in his investment portfolio. Had he given an exact number, and been spot on, I'd find that a lot more worrisome. And likewise, the same people that defend McCain's non-response, are all over Obama's paygrade comment, suggesting that it's a flippant response and not respectful enough of an issue that's so important to many people. That's equally silly to me. While there is definitely a vocal minority on both extremes of the abortion issue that consider the issue a no-brainer and want their candidate to echo their extreme, I think I speak for the moderate majority when I say that the issue is complicated, conflicting and very personal. Obama's response echoed this sentiment gracefully and articulately IMO.

I've made no secret about my support for Obama, even though I don't agree with many of his positions. If I thought there was even one person here that was honestly undecided, I might consider someday articulating my reasons for this decision. But I've also made no secret about the fact that I like McCain too and for the first time in my life I'm voting FOR one candidate instead of AGAINST another. Regardless of who wins I'm optimistic about our future once we put the last eight years behind us.

That's enough soap-boxing for now. And I know this won't do anything to curb the rampant partisanship polluting these election debates but I just felt like it needed to be said.

Peace and Profits,

Your friendly neighborhood manifold

fwiw...

Over the past few days I've seen the usual suspects on both sides of the aisle betray their partisan bias and ignore basic sense in a mad scramble to pour criticism and derision on the other "guy." The most glaring examples are Obama's "paygrade" response and McCain's inability to deliver a precise answer to the question of homes owned. The same people that defend, excuse or dismiss Obama's comment are all over McCain for being an "elitist" and "out of touch" with the common man because he doesn't know the exact number of homes he and his rich wife own. To me that's just silly. There are far more important things I'd like our potential future leader to be fully abreast of than every last asset in his investment portfolio. Had he given an exact number, and been spot on, I'd find that a lot more worrisome. And likewise, the same people that defend McCain's non-response, are all over Obama's paygrade comment, suggesting that it's a flippant response and not respectful enough of an issue that's so important to many people. That's equally silly to me. While there is definitely a vocal minority on both extremes of the abortion issue that consider the issue a no-brainer and want their candidate to echo their extreme, I think I speak for the moderate majority when I say that the issue is complicated, conflicting and very personal. Obama's response echoed this sentiment gracefully and articulately IMO.

I've made no secret about my support for Obama, even though I don't agree with many of his positions. If I thought there was even one person here that was honestly undecided, I might consider someday articulating my reasons for this decision. But I've also made no secret about the fact that I like McCain too and for the first time in my life I'm voting FOR one candidate instead of AGAINST another. Regardless of who wins I'm optimistic about our future once we put the last eight years behind us.

That's enough soap-boxing for now. And I know this won't do anything to curb the rampant partisanship polluting these election debates but I just felt like it needed to be said.

Peace and Profits,

OK who swiped Mani's ID ????? :lol:

Nice post, Mani, though it would be more believable if you weren't guilty of the same partisan BS yourself other times.

fwiw...

Peace and Profits,

I liked the McCain that ran against Bush. McCain has the ability to change his position so that he disagrees with what his opponents position is. Now he is everything Bush was in 2000. Flip flop.

I liked the McCain that ran against Bush. McCain has the ability to change his position so that he disagrees with what his opponents position is. Now he is everything Bush was in 2000. Flip flop.

I don't buy it.

Politics is what it is and boyscouts don't get elected. I'm not in a hurry to be overly critical of a candidate for simply doing what is necessary to win a few key votes. I know "pandering" is a dirty word to some, but I'd rather a guy who panders to the extremes of the republican party than a guy who actually agrees with them.

I don't buy it.

Politics is what it is and boyscouts don't get elected. I'm not in a hurry to be overly critical of a candidate for simply doing what is necessary to win a few key votes. I know "pandering" is a dirty word to some, but I'd rather a guy who panders to the extremes of the republican party than a guy who actually agrees with them.

what about when he actually gives them what he promised?

But I've also made no secret about the fact that I like McCain too and for the first time in my life I'm voting FOR one candidate instead of AGAINST another.

If we were voting on who will be homecoming King, instead of who will be driving American foreign and domestic policies, I'd understand that position more.

I like McCain (as far as anyone can like a public personality) too.

His policy positions, however, are entirely another matter.

If we were voting on who will be homecoming King, instead of who will be driving American foreign and domestic policies, I'd understand that position more.

I like McCain (as far as anyone can like a public personality) too.

His policy positions, however, are entirely another matter.

Then we are in agreement that Obama should be the first choice.

So long as it's not under oath! :D
Really? So how do you know what they are lying about, then? Or how do you trust them to keep their word on anything?

For instance, tell us one policy you think Obama will implement and why you think he isn't lying about it.

Really? So how do you know what they are lying about, then? Or how do you trust them to keep their word on anything?

For instance, tell us one policy you think Obama will implement and why you think he isn't lying about it.

Like I said, if I believed that even one person here was honestly undecided, I might consider articulating my reasons. But...

btw: I'm assuming that you are aware of the reality that our next president will be either McCain or Obama. It's one or the other, "binary" if you will. :D

Like I said, if I believed that even one person here was honestly undecided, I might consider articulating my reasons. But...

btw: I'm assuming that you are aware of the reality that our next president will be either McCain or Obama. It's one or the other, "binary" if you will. :D

I'm undecided. I'm either writing in Hillary or voting for Obama. I honestly don't think you have a coherent reason on why you support Obama because you've never once stated a policy he has that you agree with. But whatever.

You didn't answer my question.

I'm undecided. I'm either writing in Hillary or voting for Obama. I honestly don't think you have a coherent reason on why you support Obama because you've never once stated a policy he has that you agree with. But whatever.

You didn't answer my question.

You're right about one thing, I have never once stated an Obama policy that I agree with. However, I have stated at least one, maybe twice, that my decision this time around is less based on the issues and more on the individual.

And I don't believe you are undecided either.

You're right about one thing, I have never once stated an Obama policy that I agree with. However, I have stated at least one, maybe twice, that my decision this time around is less based on the issues and more on the individual.

And I don't believe you are undecided either.
I can't help that. The next lie I tell you will be the first one. ;)

So you are picking, out of two candidates that lie, the one you feel lies less? I guess that's one way to pick a candidate. But, again, if they lie to pander to one group....how do you know they aren't lying to pander to all groups?

So you are picking, out of two candidates that lie, the one you feel lies less?

I'm not sure where you got that idea. I simply said I'm not going to criticize McCain for doing a little pandering in order to secure the Republican nomination.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. I simply said I'm not going to criticize McCain for doing a little pandering in order to secure the Republican nomination.

You certainly did.

I don't buy it.

Forum List

Back