Bias on Display

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Ravi, Aug 22, 2008.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,822
    fwiw...

Over the past few days I've seen the usual suspects on both sides of the aisle betray their partisan bias and ignore basic sense in a mad scramble to pour criticism and derision on the other "guy." The most glaring examples are Obama's "paygrade" response and McCain's inability to deliver a precise answer to the question of homes owned. The same people that defend, excuse or dismiss Obama's comment are all over McCain for being an "elitist" and "out of touch" with the common man because he doesn't know the exact number of homes he and his rich wife own. To me that's just silly. There are far more important things I'd like our potential future leader to be fully abreast of than every last asset in his investment portfolio. Had he given an exact number, and been spot on, I'd find that a lot more worrisome. And likewise, the same people that defend McCain's non-response, are all over Obama's paygrade comment, suggesting that it's a flippant response and not respectful enough of an issue that's so important to many people. That's equally silly to me. While there is definitely a vocal minority on both extremes of the abortion issue that consider the issue a no-brainer and want their candidate to echo their extreme, I think I speak for the moderate majority when I say that the issue is complicated, conflicting and very personal. Obama's response echoed this sentiment gracefully and articulately IMO.

I've made no secret about my support for Obama, even though I don't agree with many of his positions. If I thought there was even one person here that was honestly undecided, I might consider someday articulating my reasons for this decision. But I've also made no secret about the fact that I like McCain too and for the first time in my life I'm voting FOR one candidate instead of AGAINST another. Regardless of who wins I'm optimistic about our future once we put the last eight years behind us.

That's enough soap-boxing for now. And I know this won't do anything to curb the rampant partisanship polluting these election debates but I just felt like it needed to be said.

Peace and Profits,

Your friendly neighborhood manifold

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    OK who swiped Mani's ID ????? :lol:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,846
    Nice post, Mani, though it would be more believable if you weren't guilty of the same partisan BS yourself other times.

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,822
    Nobody's perfect.

5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,215

I liked the McCain that ran against Bush. McCain has the ability to change his position so that he disagrees with what his opponents position is. Now he is everything Bush was in 2000. Flip flop.

6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,822
    I don't buy it.

Politics is what it is and boyscouts don't get elected. I'm not in a hurry to be overly critical of a candidate for simply doing what is necessary to win a few key votes. I know "pandering" is a dirty word to some, but I'd rather a guy who panders to the extremes of the republican party than a guy who actually agrees with them.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,822
    Follow up: If McCain picks Romney as his running mate, I'll be extremely disappointed.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    what about when he actually gives them what he promised?

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,822
    I don't believe he will. Just like Clinton never followed through on universal healthcare. :cool:

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    If we were voting on who will be homecoming King, instead of who will be driving American foreign and domestic policies, I'd understand that position more.

I like McCain (as far as anyone can like a public personality) too.

His policy positions, however, are entirely another matter.