Bezerkly bans natural gas in new homes and businesses.

WTF!!!
Who the Hell wants to cook on an electric range or oven?
They claim it's for stopping climate change yet natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel available.
I'd be looking to see who profits by going all electric.
Berkeley becomes first U.S. city to ban natural gas in new homes
/—-/ That link requires a subscription. Try this one: Berkeley bans natural gas piping in new buildings
Sound like the City counsel is looking for campaign donations from the gas company. Look for court challenges.

Works fine for me.

WTF!!!
They claim it's for stopping climate change yet natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel available.

I have electric and if I lived in earthquake country, I sure as hell would have electric
were i lived the gas company had devices installed on gas meters to your house that shut down during a decent quake....

Yea we were always told in our city that the gas meters had a system built in to shut down during leaks. I stopped believing them when 3 houses went up AFTER they had investigated and told residents they could remain in their homes
a leak is different than a tremor shutting it down....you were talking earthquakes...now its leaks....

I am pretty sure earthquakes can cause leaks if they can collapse bridges
well i have been through quite a few and dont remember any major leaks...this last one they had minor leaks....you may not believe this but after every quake in California they learn more and more about what works and what dont.....gas lines are made from some pretty resilient piping....much different than what they were 50-60 years ago....

WTF!!!

I have electric and if I lived in earthquake country, I sure as hell would have electric

It's nice to have a choice. you can always turn off your gas valve as well, in the case of an earthquake.

Assuming it is not too late. I have natural gas heat because it is cheaper than electric and electric does not do too well once the temps get into the 20's. I really would not want that if we were in earthquakeland. In the mean time, I have had gas stoves. I do not like them. The ovens are horrible to try to bake in.

with a gas stove you can control the heat instantly while with an electric range top, the burner stays hot even after you turn it down. Plus the fact you cant see the flame makes it more likely to accidentally lay a towel on top and start a fire. If you have a convection gas stove with a fan that circulates the heat the ovens work great.

My ass. Cook something on high heat on your gas top, turn it down, and then put your hand on the grate and tell me about how instant that cool down was.

The main reason restaurants use gas is the ease of temp control.

Natural gas is not needed to run a home. The intent is to create more solar power from the roof top.

Oh, sheesh. Solar power is not "needed" to run a home either. Once again liberal radicals take it upon themselves to deny people reasonable options because of their extremist, uninformed ideology.

It's nice to have a choice. you can always turn off your gas valve as well, in the case of an earthquake.

Assuming it is not too late. I have natural gas heat because it is cheaper than electric and electric does not do too well once the temps get into the 20's. I really would not want that if we were in earthquakeland. In the mean time, I have had gas stoves. I do not like them. The ovens are horrible to try to bake in.

with a gas stove you can control the heat instantly while with an electric range top, the burner stays hot even after you turn it down. Plus the fact you cant see the flame makes it more likely to accidentally lay a towel on top and start a fire. If you have a convection gas stove with a fan that circulates the heat the ovens work great.

My ass. Cook something on high heat on your gas top, turn it down, and then put your hand on the grate and tell me about how instant that cool down was.

Any gourmet Chef is going to prefer open flame. Its just the way its done.

WTF!!!

Mm, I kind of see the wisdom here. When I was a kid I was down that way when Loma Prieta hit. Lots of fires happened from busted gas lines. Now I don't think it's an issue because lots of places went to this plastic gas lines. But I wholly agree that cooking on electric sucks balls. Can't get consistent heat.

Natural gas is not needed to run a home. The intent is to create more solar power from the roof top. If you had any brains this would be clearly understood.
Its the cleanest form of energy there is....
As long as fracking is not needed to extract it.

Fracking is a safe and environmentally friendly way to extract natural gas. Our Governor, a Far Left Progressive Democrat, loves it because of all the tax revenue it provides, and all the high paying jobs it creates. It is HIGHLY REGULATED here.
But but matt damon and susan sarandon really hate it......

Along with the rest of the students majoring in Arts and Letters at Berkeley.

Sooooo.....

It must be all bad and stuff.

TAAAAX MAAAAN thinks it is bad and stuff too.

Soooo....

I wish we could have the old incandescent lightbulbs back as well, but they banned those too! to save the planet.

WTF!!!

For cooking, I prefer a gas cooktop and an electric oven.

Gas heat and water heater every time!

An electric oven is not uncommon even for people with gas cook tops. While I theoretically would have gas hot water if I could, I really wouldn't for more practical reasons--the location of the tank in my house is not a good place for a gas unit
Of course, that's always a consideration. Sometimes retrofit just isn't practical.

If my landlord had installed a line to the laundry alcove, I'd have bought a gas clothes dryer. Dryers are the single biggest consumers of electrical power.

The main reason they use gas is because it is cheaper. Gas has horrible temperature control at lower heat.

were i lived the gas company had devices installed on gas meters to your house that shut down during a decent quake....

Yea we were always told in our city that the gas meters had a system built in to shut down during leaks. I stopped believing them when 3 houses went up AFTER they had investigated and told residents they could remain in their homes
a leak is different than a tremor shutting it down....you were talking earthquakes...now its leaks....

I am pretty sure earthquakes can cause leaks if they can collapse bridges
well i have been through quite a few and dont remember any major leaks...this last one they had minor leaks....you may not believe this but after every quake in California they learn more and more about what works and what dont.....gas lines are made from some pretty resilient piping....much different than what they were 50-60 years ago....

My city has been in the process of replacing every gas line in the city to go to flex piping instead of metal up to the meter, but they still have a ways to go. They realized they were pumping a lot more through than they was reaching the end consumers' meters so it might be time to do some infrastructure.

Natural gas is not needed to run a home. The intent is to create more solar power from the roof top.

Oh, sheesh. Solar power is not "needed" to run a home either. Once again liberal radicals take it upon themselves to deny people reasonable options because of their extremist, uninformed ideology.

Any gourmet Chef is going to prefer open flame. Its just the way its done.

Gourmet is a virtually meaningless term and flamed red meat is a tiny part of high end dining.

WTF!!!

But...but... not only is natural gas the cheapest form of heating energy, not only is it the best method for cooking, but we are a major supplier so using it supports US industry and jobs! Man, the stupid Left just can't help stepping in dog shit hurting and insulting Americans with EVERY STEP THEY TAKE.

Last edited:

An electric oven is not uncommon even for people with gas cook tops. While I theoretically would have gas hot water if I could, I really wouldn't for more practical reasons--the location of the tank in my house is not a good place for a gas unit
Of course, that's always a consideration. Sometimes retrofit just isn't practical.

If my landlord had installed a line to the laundry alcove, I'd have bought a gas clothes dryer. Dryers are the single biggest consumers of electrical power.

I have a dryer and a clothesline I use weather and will permitting. This time of year, the line will dry about as fast as the dryer. Just about everyone in my subdivision I know has complained at some point about the location of their hot water heater. The developer stuck them all behind doors in small rooms/closets on the opposite ends of the houses from where most of the water gets consumed. I was going to do on-demand, but the guy who sells them said that wouldn't fix the location problem so I would need some expensive replumbing for that

I have a dryer and a clothesline I use weather and will permitting. This time of year, the line will dry about as fast as the dryer. Just about everyone in my subdivision I know has complained at some point about the location of their hot water heater. The developer stuck them all behind doors in small rooms/closets on the opposite ends of the houses from where most of the water gets consumed. I was going to do on-demand, but the guy who sells them said that wouldn't fix the location problem so I would need some expensive replumbing for that
Bad house design, but not much you can do about it. I'd use a clothesline, but I don't have one, and I couldn't in the spring. Everything would wind up yellow.

Bad house design, but not much you can do about it. I'd use a clothesline, but I don't have one, and I couldn't in the spring. Everything would wind up yellow.
There are areas, mostly in Yuppivilles that don't allow clothes lines unless they're the retractable kind with restrictions on how long clothes can be hanging outside. Many homeowner associations in large suburban areas back east have banned clothes lines altogether. At least that was the case when I lived in Northern Virginia.

Forum List

Back