Beware police now have a super strength camera which can spot drivers using mobile phones nearly 1 m

Police have unveiled their new weapon – a camera that can produce clear images of people inside a car almost a mile away and dubbed ‘The Long Ranger’.

Beware: Police now have a super-strength camera which can spot drivers using mobile phones or speeding nearly a mile away
-----------------------------------------------------

YOu are the criminal, you are guilty until proven innocent psychological warfare used on the masses who aren't able to pick up on it become the victims of their own stupidity they ignore the warnings, ignore the information and it all goes in one ear and out the other.

Knowing more than a little bit about optics and imaging, in order to do what is being claimed would take no less than a telescope, and that is exactly what they show. In this case what most people would consider a very big super-telephoto. No real surprise there, I can see in great detail what people are doing a half mile away with 15X binoculars. Still, their camera will be hard pressed due to vibration, weather, heat waves, reflections off the windshields, etc., not to mention the fact that many phones fit into the hand to be almost invisible. As to speeding, they will have to have markers and computer processing to estimate speed by how long it takes to get from A to B and will be limited to non-parallax conditions where the traffic is at a right angle to the camera.

Basically, it isn't enough anymore to just catch people committing crimes as you see them, now they want to be watching you all the time under every condition because they just know you must be doing SOMETHING illegal! America! The Police State.

So you want your privacy, so you can break the law?

If you don’t like this, don’t drive on public roads.

Ok...if it is against the law to talk on your cell phone while driving, WHY THE FUCK IS THIS BAD?

OMG Cops are bad for enforcing the law! Shame on them!

Good. I know this maybe shocking to many people, but being behind the wheel of an automobile is about driving. It’s not an opportunity to respond to the idiots on here, Facebook, and Twitter. Put your phone down and drive.
I second this and to those who drive while wearing ear buds, good luck with hearing honking horns and on coming trains.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Police have unveiled their new weapon – a camera that can produce clear images of people inside a car almost a mile away and dubbed ‘The Long Ranger’.

Beware: Police now have a super-strength camera which can spot drivers using mobile phones or speeding nearly a mile away

YOu are the criminal, you are guilty until proven innocent psychological warfare used on the masses who aren't able to pick up on it become the victims of their own stupidity they ignore the warnings, ignore the information and it all goes in one ear and out the other.

It's illegal to use your cell phone in your hand while in control of a motor vehicle in most if not all states. In control of a vehicle means even if you're driving and you're stopped at a light. It's illegal to touch your phone. Yet, almost a day doesn't go by where I don't see someone with their phone up to their ear yakking away or, which is much worse, with their eyes glued to the phone and not looking outside the vehicle when they're driving down the road at 40 miles an hour.

If there is a way to spot someone doing this from a mile away, I'm all for it. I've never seen anything like this in my department, but if it ever appears, it would be a useful tool.

Police didn't write those laws, the people you elect to your state congress do. But, I don't have a problem enforcing it because, unlike many BS laws, this one actually has a point. Holding a phone in your hand, or texting while driving reduces your ability to control you vehicle. If you're driving 2,000 pounds of steel, aluminum, glass, plastic, and human bodies down the road at 40 MPH past my kid's school, you had better be so focused on driving that vehicle that you wouldn't notice if your nose fell off. Know what I is sayin'?

If you don't want the citation, or if you don't want to lose your license, put down the phone. Or, better yet, buy a Bluetooth, legal to use while driving in most states.
Yet cops find it totally safe, and acceptable to fuck around on their computers while driving.

It's illegal to use your cell phone in your hand while in control of a motor vehicle in most if not all states. In control of a vehicle means even if you're driving and you're stopped at a light. It's illegal to touch your phone. Yet, almost a day doesn't go by where I don't see someone with their phone up to their ear yakking away or, which is much worse, with their eyes glued to the phone and not looking outside the vehicle when they're driving down the road at 40 miles an hour.

If there is a way to spot someone doing this from a mile away, I'm all for it. I've never seen anything like this in my department, but if it ever appears, it would be a useful tool.

Police didn't write those laws, the people you elect to your state congress do. But, I don't have a problem enforcing it because, unlike many BS laws, this one actually has a point. Holding a phone in your hand, or texting while driving reduces your ability to control you vehicle. If you're driving 2,000 pounds of steel, aluminum, glass, plastic, and human bodies down the road at 40 MPH past my kid's school, you had better be so focused on driving that vehicle that you wouldn't notice if your nose fell off. Know what I is sayin'?

If you don't want the citation, or if you don't want to lose your license, put down the phone. Or, better yet, buy a Bluetooth, legal to use while driving in most states.
Yet cops find it totally safe, and acceptable to fuck around on their computers while driving.

One drives, one works the MDT and comms. That's how it works.

That’s not what I’ve witnessed countless times, rolling down I-20...

This is what iI don't understanding. If driving while texting or anything else that causes distracted driving is equivalant to driving while under the influence then why are vehicle manufacturers equipping their vehicles with all kinds of gadgetry which facilitates distracted driving? It's not simply holding or looking at the phone, it's not paying attention to your driving because you're engaged in a conversation which takes portions of your brain away from driving safely.

Then make a report. If they are violating departmental policy then they will be disciplined. Be aware, in most states, police are given exception to the driving rules if "it is operationally necessary to do so".

In other words, they will have to justify their actions. If they were on a coffee run, they aren't exempt. It's like parking. Police vehicles are exempt from most parking restrictions when operational.

However, department policies are typically quite strict about illegal parking for lunch or any personal business just because it sends a very bad message.

Be aware, in most states, police are given exception to the driving rules if "it is operationally necessary to do so".

Now isn’t that convenient? It’s only unsafe, if a non cop is doing it... LOL!

Be aware, in most states, police are given exception to the driving rules if "it is operationally necessary to do so".

To be fair, there is a difference between a police officer doing on duty and John Bloggs heading down to Taco Bell for take away.

Police receive different driver training than civilians and are allowed to use those extra privileges ONLY when operationally necessary.

What you may not realize is, cops in police vehicles get speeding tickets all the time. If a police vehicle is caught on a speed camera, they will check the time of the violation against his log book and if he wasn't involved in a job that required urgent duty driving, he not only pays the ticket and receives the points, he has to explain to the LT why he violated the law. If the violation is flagrant, he gets a reprimand and it goes in his file.

To be fair, there is a difference between a police officer doing on duty and John Bloggs heading down to Taco Bell for take away.

Police receive different driver training than civilians and are allowed to use those extra privileges ONLY when operationally necessary.
To be fair... No there isn’t any difference. The danger is the same. And the outcome is the same. As far as training goes there are a wide variety of skill levels present on the roadways at all times. From the 16 year old, to the professional race car driver. And everything in between. Which makes any training a cop may have behind the wheel irrelevant, when fucking around on his computer...

To be fair... No there isn’t any difference. The danger is the same. And the outcome is the same. As far as training goes there are a wide variety of skill levels present on the roadways at all times. From the 16 year old, to the professional race car driver. And everything in between. Which makes any training a cop may have behind the wheel irrelevant, when fucking around on his computer...

So, I will repeat, if you seem him doing it, report it.

Remember, police don't grant themselves exemption from the driving laws. Only elected officials, the ones you vote for, can do that. If you're unhappy with those exemptions, the ones to whom you express your complaint is your local Congressperson.

Forum List

Back