Beware of "average'

onecut39

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2008
I got an email from my congressman in response to my opposition to the tax cut extensions. He said he didn't like it but he HAD to vote for to save taxes from going up for everyone. He said taxes for the AVERAGE family would have gone up $3000 a year.

Anyone get the lie in that statement? It is all in the term "average".

You take three bums and Bill Gates and you 'average" their wealth you will find that these four individuals have an "average wealth" of 15 billion bucks. Anything misleading about that?

Beware the term "average", it can hide a multitude of lies.

But it's completely correct if it's an average. I don't see how it's a lie per se. It just assumes people arent stupid.

What they should use is the mean. It would give a clearer picture.

Regardless though, income taxes should be going down on everyone. Unfortunately, they arent.

I got an email from my congressman in response to my opposition to the tax cut extensions. He said he didn't like it but he HAD to vote for to save taxes from going up for everyone. He said taxes for the AVERAGE family would have gone up $3000 a year.

Anyone get the lie in that statement? It is all in the term "average".

You take three bums and Bill Gates and you 'average" their wealth you will find that these four individuals have an "average wealth" of 15 billion bucks. Anything misleading about that?

Beware the term "average", it can hide a multitude of lies.

Are you upset that the government isn't taking more money from you?

Forum List

Back