“Between 6,000 and 10,000 churches in the U.S. are dying each year”

There’s just too much access to information and freedom of thought for religions to fool and indoctrinate everybody anymore.

Empty-Church-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is this good or bad?

Today, nearly four in ten (39%) young adults (ages 18-29) are religiously unaffiliated
—three times the unaffiliated rate (13%) among seniors (ages 65 and older). While previous generations were also more likely to be religiously unaffiliated in their twenties, young adults today are nearly four times as likely as young adults a generation ago to identify as religiously unaffiliated. In 1986, for example, only 10% of young adults claimed no religious affiliation.

And it’s even worse in Europe where many empty churches are being converted to Muslim mosques.

At one time, churches provided a loci of social belonging as much as a religious base. Now, as many young people are losing the agenda of close, personal, face-to-face relatonships, such social gatherings no longer meet their personal goals.

What do you think?

More of this
@ "Between 6,000 and 10,000 churches in the U.S. are dying each year" - and that means that over 100 will die this week

What's going to fill that vacuum?
Welcome To Londonistan: 423 New Mosques; 500 Closed Churches

Bible prophesy calls it

The Falling Away of the Church

It happens in the End Times, before Christ's return

And during the Tribulation period,

When the Antichrist is in power, and rules. :eek:
Cool the Rapture is the cure for global warming poverty and unemployment

Could be. If people stopped praying to an image of Jesus that isn't real, believing in a past that never existed and hoping for a future that will never come, maybe they will start dealing with reality?

More than likely they will find something else to believe in, something probably more vindictive.

Just look at modern progressives, they have placed religion with political theory.

Political theory? You mean like the so called moral majority?

Actually the current progressive left has more in common with the old 80's moral majority than they do with the true liberal left.

Belief in things like AGW has replaced religion for some people, if you don't believe it, just see how some AGW proponents react when questioned, it's like the questioner is a heretic, not a critic.

Bible prophesy calls it

Could be. If people stopped praying to an image of Jesus that isn't real, believing in a past that never existed and hoping for a future that will never come, maybe they will start dealing with reality?

More than likely they will find something else to believe in, something probably more vindictive.

Just look at modern progressives, they have placed religion with political theory.

Actually the current progressive left has more in common with the old 80's moral majority than they do with the true liberal left.

Belief in things like AGW has replaced religion for some people, if you don't believe it, just see how some AGW proponents react when questioned, it's like the questioner is a heretic, not a critic.

I know that's what right wing talking heads tell you, but it's not true.

I know that's what right wing talking heads tell you, but it's not true.

It's what I observe on a regular basis, and it's been pointed out by old school Liberals as well.

Again, some AGW proponents believe that any other opinion can even be criminal. If that's not dogmatic thinking I don't know what is.

There’s just too much access to information and freedom of thought for religions to fool and indoctrinate everybody anymore.

Nah, that's the job of progressive lefties now.
The magical superbeing you have zero evidence for should be able to handle this, right?

It figures someone like you can't grasp the concept of faith.

I'm a lapsed Catholic at best. What I am not is some egomaniacal atheist twat who believes they have an answer no one really has.

The magical superbeing you have zero evidence for should be able to handle this, right?

I'm a lapsed Catholic at best. What I am not is some egomaniacal atheist twat who believes they have an answer no one really has.

Or a maniacal religious zealot that believe he has the answers no one else really has ?

There are extremes in all aspects of human belief and behavior

Or a maniacal religious zealot that believe he has the answers no one else really has ?

There are extremes in all aspects of human belief and behavior

Oh I agree. But on these boards you tend to have what I call "Asshole Atheists". Typical signs include use of terms like "cloud fairy" and "invisible beard guy".

Belief in God provides a structure to the mind that can't be replaced with anything else. Without God, there is no hope for anything better than the meager offerings of materialistic gain in this life. That's nothing to base a life on, though many people have tried.
I disagree
That's OK.

However, I do believe that faith in God is what has kept me alive, when things were really bad for me.

Bible prophesy calls it

In our day, that could have been the beginning of the Falling Away... When the so called Moral Majority decided to get in bed with the Republicans.... it made no sense that so called religious leaders would reach a pact with dirty rotten politicians... it spoiled their faith, took them away from Christ's teachings.... and He taught, a separation of Church and State...

"Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's".

I say 'in our day' only because history seems to repeat itself....

the Church and politics were also convoluted and mixed during the Roman Empire as well, after Constantine.... and this too was a corrupt period.

Belief in God provides a structure to the mind that can't be replaced with anything else. Without God, there is no hope for anything better than the meager offerings of materialistic gain in this life. That's nothing to base a life on, though many people have tried.
I disagree
That's OK.

However, I do believe that faith in God is what has kept me alive, when things were really bad for me.

Things go really bad for a lot of people who don't have faith in god and I'm sure quite a few of them are still alive too.

Personally I do not believe in the biblical god.

If there is a supreme being and I'm not convinced there is or isn't I don't think we could ever truly understand it.

We do not understand 95% of the matter and energy in the universe and quite frankly we may be utterly incapable of understanding much as a dog is incapable of performing mathematical calculations.

Empty-Church-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is this good or bad?

Today, nearly four in ten (39%) young adults (ages 18-29) are religiously unaffiliated
—three times the unaffiliated rate (13%) among seniors (ages 65 and older). While previous generations were also more likely to be religiously unaffiliated in their twenties, young adults today are nearly four times as likely as young adults a generation ago to identify as religiously unaffiliated. In 1986, for example, only 10% of young adults claimed no religious affiliation.

And it’s even worse in Europe where many empty churches are being converted to Muslim mosques.

At one time, churches provided a loci of social belonging as much as a religious base. Now, as many young people are losing the agenda of close, personal, face-to-face relatonships, such social gatherings no longer meet their personal goals.

What do you think?

More of this
@ "Between 6,000 and 10,000 churches in the U.S. are dying each year" - and that means that over 100 will die this week
Face to face meetings of any sort are down. People are on their damn phones all the time they have no time for other people. This has not only effected church but clubs of all kinds where people actually meet in person. People are so lazy I have a hard time finding some one to fish with. I find my self driving two hours two three times a week to meet with my childhood best freind because he is one of two people willing to get off the couch. The other person is my 15 year old nephew. With out those two I would go crazy all any one does now a days is sit around the living room and chat. Half the time they are chatting on their phone when I attempt that. I was at frosties the other day which use to be a gathering place for hunters and fisherman. The week of thanksgiving I used to run into scores of people their with hunting and fishing stories of the day. It was just me and two other guys in there. They were older than me and were pheasant hunting. Not one deer hunter in there. Hunting an d fishing is th eonly reason to live in the area, there is nothing else there. Fucking phone,tv,and computer is making every one lazy. I would be hiunting right now if I had some one to go with. I will likely fuck around a little more and go by myself. I started a huning and fishing thread on here asuming I would get 2nd ammendment guys with photos of their hunting and fishing. All I got was guys who use to hunt and fish but are now to old and Herewegoagain with actual photos of camping and fishing. I will get better about photo documentation of my hunting and fishing as I may be one of the last men in the woods these days. Mike and I were always more about filling the pan than taking photos but that has to change. People need to know how humans lived when they did things other than sit around the living room.

Bible prophesy calls it

More vindictive? Replaced religion with political theory? Like whoever said this?

" I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

isn't that a good thing?

Bible prophesy calls it

More vindictive? Replaced religion with political theory? Like whoever said this?

" I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

isn't that a good thing?

No, more like "Believe in AGW or you are an evil heretic and must be burned upon the stake via Twitter"

Churches are turning from God so people are turning from church. Churches thought they would attract more people if they became more secular. They promoted homosexuality and celebrated same sex marriage. Now they are failing.

Bible prophesy calls it

isn't that a good thing?

No, more like "Believe in AGW or you are an evil heretic and must be burned upon the stake via Twitter"

Ok, thats messed up. I'll give you that. But that doesn't change the fact that people really need to deal with reality in order to survive.

The writing is on the wall.

Do you really wan't to be that old geezer refusing to heed the warnings saying, "I ain't afraid of no volcano"?

isn't that a good thing?

Ok, thats messed up. I'll give you that. But that doesn't change the fact that people really need to deal with reality in order to survive.

The writing is on the wall.

Do you really wan't to be that old geezer refusing to heed the warnings saying, "I ain't afraid of no volcano"?

A volcano is an obvious hazard, all that lava and ash.

And when you are asked to deal with a volcano, you are told to RUN AWAY, not to change how you live your life.

Plus the consequences of not running away are pretty obvious, and immediate.

Forum List

Back