Bettis has class

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
Not all players are 100% about greed. This is why I like the Steelers, they always seemed to have a family like environment there and you'll see a lot of their players doing this kind of stuff. I know you'll see this on other teams too but this is normal for the Steelers organization. Although I think Bettis is on his decline, he could have signed a big paycheck elsewhere.

Bettis takes big pay cut to return to Steelers

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Jerome Bettis, the sixth-leading rusher in NFL history, agreed Monday to take a significant pay cut to return to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bettis and the Steelers worked out a one-year contract that will pay him $1 million, with the chance to earn an additional $1 million in incentives.

Bettis was to have made $3,757,000, plus a $750,000 roster bonus, as part of the $30 million, six-year contract he signed in 2001. That deal included a $6 million signing bonus, but there is no signing bonus in his newest agreement.

Bettis and agent Lamont Smith spent the last several weeks trying to work out a restructured deal that would keep the 32-year-old Bettis in Pittsburgh, where he is the No. 2 rusher in team history.

``I still think I can get it done. I still think I can play this game,'' Bettis said.

Bettis said late last season he was amenable to redoing his contract so he could finish his career in Pittsburgh, where he has gained 9,262 yards since being traded by St. Louis in 1996.

Bettis is the third Steelers player in the last two weeks to restructure his contract, joining offensive tackle Marvel Smith and linebacker Joey Porter. The Steelers were about $4.5 million over the salary cap in mid-February and needed to make adjustments to get under the cap by this week's deadline.

By reworking those contracts and cutting veteran cornerback Dewayne Washington and tight end Mark Bruener, the Steelers shaved more than $6.5 million off the cap and are approximately $2.75 million under the cap. They sought to clear the cap room to give them maneuverability as the NFL free agency signing period begins Wednesday.

Bettis' return not only gives him a chance to add to his career rushing total of 12,353 yards, it buys the Steelers time as they seek his replacement -- most likely in the April draft. They own the No. 11 pick and could very well use it on a running back, perhaps Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...A--?slug=ap-steelers-bettis&prov=ap&type=lgns

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Um, I think this is what you call Brains! 12 year vet is not going to get much in the open market!

Not a 50 million dollar contract extension, but he could have landed a hefty one year deal. Also, this isn't the first time he has restructured.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Ok, The Bus has some class! Think I would of kept Zeroue for the just in case!

They'll grab someone in the draft. They say they may look at Kevin Jones from VT. I watched all their games because of the wifey. This guy is great. I'd be happy if they got him. He's quick and cuts extremely well, and still powerful enough to take them up the middle.

Forum List

Back