Better Call Saul

Were you a fan of Breaking Bad? If not, you probably don't get it. The first season was mostly about developing the character's back story. I can see where someone who never really watched Breaking Bad would not like the show. I enjoyed it tremendously, but I was a big BB fan.

I tried with BreakingBad too and just couldn't get in to it.

I tried with BreakingBad too and just couldn't get in to it.

I actually expected not to like it. I heard about it coming out and I thought it was going to be a movie. I thought, well... maybe it will make a good movie? Then I discovered it was to be a series and my thoughts were... this will never fly! I couldn't see how such a plot would ever have enough weight to carry a series. So I really started watching skeptically and thinking it would fail.

What really impressed me was Bryan Cranston's acting ability. That, and the writing was superb. Each week, it was like watching a movie instead of a television show. After about the 5th episode I was hooked. I still think it is one of the best produced, written and directed shows ever on t.v.

I don't think Better Call Saul is as good but it's interesting to me because I loved his character in Breaking Bad. It has been kind of cool to see his backstory and how he became that character.

So Saul is the younger Breaking Bad guy?

Nope. Saul is the sleazy lawyer they conspire with. The younger BB guy is Jesse Pinkman. I think one of their street peddlers gets busted and they are afraid he may rat them out if they don't get him out of jail... so Walter is contemplating hiring a "criminal lawyer" and Jesse takes him to Saul. Walter is not very impressed because the guy is kind of sleazy... runs these outrageous ads on tv... has a giant inflatable statue of liberty outside his strip mall office... just not very professional. Pinkman tells him... "For something like this, you don't need a criminal lawyer, you need a CRIMINAL lawyer!" In any event, he ends up getting the guy sprung and then goes on to help them set up big drug deals with kingpins he knows and such.

I loved Breaking Bad and I just finished the first season of Saul. Loved it, too.

SPOILER ALERT!!

Question for Saul fans: I don't understand why he chose not to take the law firm partner offer at the end of the last show of the first season. It was just dangling there, right in front of him, big bucks.

Any insight?

I loved Breaking Bad and I just finished the first season of Saul. Loved it, too.

SPOILER ALERT!!

Question for Saul fans: I don't understand why he chose not to take the law firm partner offer at the end of the last show of the first season. It was just dangling there, right in front of him, big bucks.

Any insight?

You kinda need to watch Season 2 to get it. It's about feeling comfortable in his own skin. He was never going to get to be himself and he is forever stuck living in the shadow of his brother.

I just finished Season 2 and it was awesome. I can't tell you more or it'll spoil it for you... just watch!

SPOILER ALERT!!

Any insight?

You kinda need to watch Season 2 to get it. It's about feeling comfortable in his own skin. He was never going to get to be himself and he is forever stuck living in the shadow of his brother.

I just finished Season 2 and it was awesome. I can't tell you more or it'll spoil it for you... just watch!
Excellent, thanks. That was my guess, but I wondered if I was missing something.

I'm on it!

I started it on Netflix but couldn't get past episode 3. Dumb.
I watched about fifteen minutes of the first episode and realized it was a failed attempt to capitalize on the essence of Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad was one of the best-written programs ever on television. The acting was world class, as evidenced by the slew of awards. Most fans will tell you it's the best television show of all time. If you actually think the spin-off, Better Call Saul was trying to capture that essence... it's no wonder you were disappointed. No one ever expected it to be another Breaking Bad. Are they capitalizing on the HUGE fan base of Breaking Bad? Sure they are, it's what Hollywood does, isn't it?

Again, if (like Gracie) you never really cared for Breaking Bad... you probably won't care for Better Call Saul. If you were anticipating Breaking Bad II.... again, you're probably going to be disappointed. But on it's own merits as a show, it's not bad. It's not The Walking Dead, but it has it's fan base who enjoy it.

Forum List

Back