Better bargain, "bang for buck": Government or Private sector???

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bucs90, Oct 6, 2012.

1. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Which use of your dollar gives you the most value? The most bang for the buck? Lets discuss:

Government: Most people pay between 25%-50% of their salary on taxes (local, county, state, sales, federal, etc). What do we get for it? Here it is:

- Roads that are passable, in relatively ok shape, so we can drive.
    - Military protection: The US hasn't been invaded by a foreign nation since....well, ever. The Brits lost in 1776. Japan never attempted an invasion.
    - Police protection: You have somehwere near you, at all times 24/7, an armed cop willing to risk his life to protect yours anytime if you dial 911. As close to a personal bodyguard as one can get without paying for it.
    - Fire protection: If your home catches fire, a truck comes with brave men on it who will save your ass and try to save your house.
    - Schools- Some suck, some dont. But we have public schools that everyone has access to.
    - A social safety net: YES, it has issues and money trouble. But bottom line is....our people dont starve to death or have to fight wars for water. Our poor are fat for God's sake.

I feel like...if Im being honest...that we taxpayers are getting a pretty good deal overall. 90% of us are getting back WAY MORE from the govt than we put into it. Now...we should fix the problems for sure.

Private sector: For the sake of the length of this thread, I wont list every single thing the private sector provides. Basically everything thats not listed above.

HOWEVER....there is one kick: They are FOR PROFIT. Meaning...whatever money you give them...you're getting LESS in return. Otherwise they'd go broke. I pay Comcast $75 a month. I dont get $75 worth of product in return. I pay Best Buy $60 for the new Madden NFL video game. That game did NOT cost Best Buy $60.

So...basically, the private sector is built on the idea that people give them money, and they give them a product or service that is worth a little bit less than the money they gave, or a LOT less. Thats how profit works.

And the government...provides 90% of people far more in return than they put in. Which may not be sustainable at all much longer, but is great for 90% of people. And the other 10%? Well, its payback for taking our money in the private sector and not returning teh same amount hahaha!

2. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    I feel like it's a lot more complicated than that.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,687

HOWEVER....there is one kick: They are FOR PROFIT. Meaning...whatever money you give them...you're getting LESS in return. Otherwise they'd go broke. I pay Comcast $75 a month. I dont get $75 worth of product in return. I pay Best Buy $60 for the new Madden NFL video game. That game did NOT cost Best Buy $60.

You really don't have to pay Comcast and you really didn't have to buy Madden football...
    You don't like the price ...Don't buy it.
    They will only be able to charge what the market will allow.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,294

I don't know where to begin.

5. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    That's not how profit works at all. If you paid Best Buy $60 for the new Madden video game then you valued that video game more than you valued the $60, whereas Best Buy valued the $60 more than the video game. If this were not the case then neither of you would have agreed to the sale. The truth is that you both profited from the exchange.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Standard Medicare costs less than Medicare Advantage.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    But food, energy and medical care are different beasts.

8. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Not true. That game aint worth 50 bucks. BUT...I cant get it anywhere else for cheaper. So I suck it up and take the loss because I want the game.

Kinda like taking a really hot chick you just met out to an expensive dinner, movie, etc, dropping a couple hundred bucks.....just to try to get some. She aint worth that, neither is one night of hook-up, but, we do it anyway.

Some stuff is technically optional, like Comcast. But reality is....some shit is simply mandatory to live a civil, responsible life. Like a car, power, water, food......all sold at way higher prices by the private sector than what it costs to produce. AND IM FINE WITH THAT. I'd do it too. Just trying to spark some conversation here.

9. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,687
    Business for the most part is there for the good of the business.
    Let's hold off on Medical companies for a minute.
    Business is not there to "take care of people" by providing a job for the community.
    If the company is publicly owned they have a duty to shareholders to return profit on their investments.

Government can provide stuff and lose millions along the way and stay in business.

I think this is pretty basic stuff...No?

10. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Value is subjective, so you can't say what it's worth objectively as you seem to try to be doing when you say the game isn't worth $50. To me, that game would most certainly not be worth $50. It wouldn't even be worth $5. I don't particularly enjoy video games so I would never spend $50 on it. However, the simple fact is that if you pay $50 for the game, then the game was worth MORE than the $50 to you. You wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. Or you would have waited until the price went down, but that introduces time preference which tells us that goods in the present are worth more than goods in the future. By buying the game when it was just released for $50 you're saying that the game was worth more than $50 to you at the time. Now, how you feel about the game after the fact is irrelevant in discussing value and profit. The same principles apply to your scenario of dating a woman, and anything else you can think of.