Betta Stothart: "Trump made me angry enough to steal 40 Trump signs"

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Come onto my property lady, and expect to be stopped from committing your crime.

How angry does Donald Trump make me? Angry enough to steal 40 Trump signs.

Special to The Washington Post

FALMOUTH, Maine - I committed a crime this month, along with two of my friends. I'm not the lawbreaking type. In fact, as a 52-year-old mom, my life is pretty predictable and boring. But this election, a particular candidate's boasts about women pushed me over the edge.

In the suburban, upper-middle-class part of Maine where I live, Republicans and Democrats live together mostly in harmony. In every election cycle, there's some tension. But the 2016 presidential campaign has been different. Tensions in my town are running at a fevered pitch.

Which is how three middle-aged moms came to be running down the road, tearing up the Donald Trump signs along our version of Main Street. We'd been talking about the infamous Billy Bush tape and the women who have since come forward to share their own stories of abuse. We were angry. Getting Trump's name off our median strip seemed like the best way to express our rage.

In retrospect, I realize I shouldn't be proud of my transgression. Hanging out with a bunch of moms, we started grousing about the proliferation of signs. Can you believe someone would put that many Trump signs so close together on our roads? It's so rude. Who is this jerk? We felt assaulted by the number of signs. The idea of "cleansing" our streets seemed like the fastest way to restore balance and alleviate our election stress - at least, that night it did.

Come onto my property lady, and expect to be stopped from committing your crime.

FALMOUTH, Maine - I committed a crime this month, along with two of my friends. I'm not the lawbreaking type. In fact, as a 52-year-old mom, my life is pretty predictable and boring. But this election, a particular candidate's boasts about women pushed me over the edge.

In the suburban, upper-middle-class part of Maine where I live, Republicans and Democrats live together mostly in harmony. In every election cycle, there's some tension. But the 2016 presidential campaign has been different. Tensions in my town are running at a fevered pitch.

Which is how three middle-aged moms came to be running down the road, tearing up the Donald Trump signs along our version of Main Street. We'd been talking about the infamous Billy Bush tape and the women who have since come forward to share their own stories of abuse. We were angry. Getting Trump's name off our median strip seemed like the best way to express our rage.

In retrospect, I realize I shouldn't be proud of my transgression. Hanging out with a bunch of moms, we started grousing about the proliferation of signs. Can you believe someone would put that many Trump signs so close together on our roads? It's so rude. Who is this jerk? We felt assaulted by the number of signs. The idea of "cleansing" our streets seemed like the fastest way to restore balance and alleviate our election stress - at least, that night it did.

She's pretty stupid.....did something illegal and immoral and told people about it publically. Needs to pay the price.

Perhaps she'll pay double the fine so as to have payed for the next time in advance.

Individuals, regardless of which candidate they support, seem to lack the intelligence to understand that no one votes for a candidate based upon simply seeing a sign in a yard. The sign merely shows that their neighbor or individual living somewhere in their community happens to support that particular candidate. Taking the sign from his or her yard, does not diminish his or her support for the candidate. All registered voters with an address which can receive mail, receive voter's pamphlets in the mail and by reading them, along with following the candidates history or televised appearances, make their decisions on such matters, not based on any sign in a yard. All they are doing by removing the signs is simply committing a crime and solving nothing.

Forum List

Back