Betelguese's bizarre dimming has astronomers scratching their heads

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Over the last few weeks, Betelgeuse, the bright reddish star in the constellation Orion, has dimmed to the faintest it's been in a century. Astronomers have been buzzing with excitement about the event, discussing the star over social media and speculating what might be going on.

$

Artist's impression of Betelguese ,surrounded by the gas it expels and adorned with a gigantic bubble bubbling on its surface, as suggested by recent observations by telescope. On the left, the size scale in rays of Betelgeuse. Right, in astronomical units (the Earth-Sun distance).

One of the night sky's brightest stars is now the faintest it's been in a century. Astronomers aren't sure what it means.

Betelguese's bizarre dimming has astronomers scratching their heads

I read an article it is might be about to go super nova.
We can only hope, it would be the greatest celestial show in man's history. If so it will be as bright as a full moon for sometime.

We can only hope, it would be the greatest celestial show in man's history. If so it will be as bright as a full moon for sometime.

We can only hope,

A supernova that big, that close.....could be seriously bad for us.

We can only hope,

Not according to two articles I read, the blast area is well-well-well out of range, we should have no effects at all save for a serious light show.
In fact at 640 light years away it could have already happened in the 15 century and we wouldn't know it yet.

We can only hope,

Not according to two articles I read, the blast area is well-well-well out of range, we should have no effects at all save for a serious light show.
In fact at 640 light years away it could have already happened in the 15 century and we wouldn't know it yet.

A near-Earth supernova is an explosion resulting from the death of a star that occurs close enough to the Earth (roughly less than 10 to 300 parsecs (30 to 1000 light-years) away[2]) to have noticeable effects on Earth's biosphere.

Historically, each near-Earth supernova explosion has been associated with a global warming of around 3–4 °C (5–7 °F). An estimated 20 supernova explosions have happened within 300 pc of the Earth over the last 11 million years. Type II supernova explosions are expected to occur in active star-forming regions, with 12 such OB associations being located within 650 pc of the Earth. At present, there are six near-Earth supernova candidates within 300 pc.[3]

Near-Earth supernova - Wikipedia

We can only hope,

A near-Earth supernova is an explosion resulting from the death of a star that occurs close enough to the Earth (roughly less than 10 to 300 parsecs (30 to 1000 light-years) away[2]) to have noticeable effects on Earth's biosphere.

Historically, each near-Earth supernova explosion has been associated with a global warming of around 3–4 °C (5–7 °F). An estimated 20 supernova explosions have happened within 300 pc of the Earth over the last 11 million years. Type II supernova explosions are expected to occur in active star-forming regions, with 12 such OB associations being located within 650 pc of the Earth. At present, there are six near-Earth supernova candidates within 300 pc.[3]

AHAAAA!!!!.... that explains global warming!!

We can only hope,

From what I have read, there is no danger to life or even any danger of any appreciable warming from a Betelgeuse supernova

The extreme ranges given in the excerpt posted above may apply, but Betelgeuse is nowhere near in size to the most massive stars in the universe. It will be just a bit brighter than the full moon, at supernova. Do you feel the warmth of a full moon, at night? Nope...

It is just a passing intergalactic vessel plugged in for recharging.

We can only hope,

From what I have read, there is no danger to life or even any danger of any appreciable warming from a Betelgeuse supernova

The extreme ranges given in the excerpt posted above may apply, but Betelgeuse is nowhere near in size to the most massive stars in the universe. It will be just a bit brighter than the full moon, at supernova. Do you feel the warmth of a full moon, at night? Nope...
I sincerely hope it began it's supernove some 600 years ago, then we would be able to see it. All we will see is a very bright star for a few weeks...but imagine how light it will be out if it happens within a full moon. It will be like dusk in the middle of the night.

I've read that if it blows, not only will it be the brightest light at night, but will also be visible in the daytime. And also that it poses no harm to us.

That would certainly be something to see in our lifetimes...

It will be awesome, but it would be almost 650 years before the people on Earth see the explosion.

Forum List

Back