Best way to express my opinion to my representatives

Mishra

Rookie
Mar 22, 2011
I have a simple question.

What is the best way to reach out to my representatives and make my voice heard?

I would like to express the gross misinterpretation of federal government power, and to return more power to the states. I don't want to sit in an online forum and discuss what my views are at this time.

I simply want my representatives to hear more "That isn't constitutional" from a citizen and to do my part to remove federal power and reduce spending that will do harm to our United States.

I'm not interested in spending much time (like the time it takes to protest) but I would like to do more than read and think.

Thanks.

What is the best way to reach out to my representatives and make my voice heard?

I would like to express the gross misinterpretation of federal government power, and to return more power to the states. I don't want to sit in an online forum and discuss what my views are at this time.

I simply want my representatives to hear more "That isn't constitutional" from a citizen and to do my part to remove federal power and reduce spending that will do harm to our United States.

I'm not interested in spending much time (like the time it takes to protest) but I would like to do more than read and think.

Thanks.

Put your opinions clearly and politely in writing on paper, sign it put that in an envelope with a return address and mail it to your rep and both senators. Follow-up within a few weeks and keep it up. Encourage others to do the same thing. If you are married, have your spouse write a seperate letter and send it.

Last edited:
Your cause is noble. You have my respect sir.

I suspect...

You've been told by pundits, books, magazines, and blogs that the political universe is populated by two animals: 1) liberals who use the coercive power of government to burn money we don't have trying (and failing) to solve problems beyond their moral and legal mandate; and 2) conservatives who want to return power and freedom to the people by way of tax cuts and markets, which reward things like individual excellence and effort.

Son you've been lied to. Words like "freedom" and "the people" and "free market" are actually hindrances to the later stages of monopoly capitalism. The people who say they care about small government, fiscal discipline, and individual freedom have created a corrupt subsidy, bailout, and monopoly system that makes the final days of the Roman Empire look like a church bake sale. They've looted the country son -- and they've given you a distorted picture of the disease and cure.

I'm here to help.

Lesson #1.

When government is strong enough to steal your father's pharmacy, the medicine is Ayn Rand, and plenty of it.

When the pharmaceutical company is strong enough to steal government (and thus replace your vote with their lobbying), the medicine is not Ayn Rand, that is, your beef is no longer with Government, it's with the concentrated corporate powers who own it. Understand this, and you will be free.

Last edited:
Although I wish this topic was filled with multiple replies of users arguing about how they have stood up and voiced their word and tried to change the minds of their senators, this doesn't seem to be the case.

The general consensus is to send a letter but it just doesn't seem strong enough thus why I asked here. If I was a house member and read a letter telling me to completely change my beliefs, it probably wouldn't do much to entice me. On the other hand, if someone walked up to my door and explained their thoughts and opinions, it would at least stimulate my mind more than a dull letter.

If you all say this is the best method, then I will do what is necessary to express my concerns.

Your cause is noble. You have my respect sir.

I suspect...

You've been told by pundits, books, magazines, and blogs that the political universe is populated by two animals: 1) liberals who use the coercive power of government to burn money we don't have trying (and failing) to solve problems beyond their moral and legal mandate; and 2) conservatives who want to return power and freedom to the people by way of tax cuts and markets, which reward things like individual excellence and effort.

Son you've been lied to. Words like "freedom" and "the people" and "free market" are actually hindrances to the later stages of monopoly capitalism. The people who say they care about small government, fiscal discipline, and individual freedom have created a corrupt subsidy, bailout, and monopoly system that makes the final days of the Roman Empire look like a church bake sale. They've looted the country son -- and they've given you a distorted picture of the disease and cure.

I'm here to help.

Lesson #1.

When government is strong enough to steal your father's pharmacy, the medicine is Ayn Rand, and plenty of it.

When the pharmaceutical company is strong enough to steal government (and thus replace your vote with their lobbying), the medicine is not Ayn Rand, that is, your beef is no longer with Government, it's with the concentrated corporate powers who own it. Understand this, and you will be free.

Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like you are curious where I am forming my opinion so I will explain a little. First, hearing the all-so-famous titles thrown around in politics really irritates me. I can't stand to argue "left,right,center,democrat,progressive,libertarian,conservative,on-and-on-and-on" in any means. The world is just too unique to sit there and argue a semi-solid state of rules and beliefs.

Second, I simply see our government spending money it doesn't have. I can't go into credit card debt at home or I will dig myself a hole I may never get out of. Same with our government. Our representatives in Congress aren't doing enough to really cut out all the fat that we can't support. Take a look at this: gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BUDGET-2012-BUD/pdf/BUDGET-2012-BUD-25.pdf
As wonderful as it sounds, you can't install a new environmental sink in your house when you are 700k in credit card debt. It's just common sense. We just CAN'T do this stuff... And I'm normally for environmental/clean energy spending.

Third, I believe that any central body of power that has the power to do just about anything will be abused. It's all debatable, which you can read plenty of the debates around this forum to get your fix... But I believe the best system, and one some of the founding fathers wanted to see, is one where individual states are given all the power. This makes it where California may be doing crazy things that you don't agree with and debate about all the time, so you simply move.

Which by the way, since our population has grown so much, I think we should add to the constitution a way to break up states into smaller states when population gets over certain amounts. This makes it easier to move and easier for states to control everything in general. This is another debate however. :)

I hate to say this, but there is only one way to get them to listen and that is to sign a check with a very, very, very large number in the amount line. Other than that, you are wasting your time.

Immie

Thanks.

you can always email your representative. but i'm thinking your opinion of what is and isn't constitutional isn't particularly relevant.

just sayin

I hate to say this, but there is only one way to get them to listen and that is to sign a check with a very, very, very large number in the amount line. Other than that, you are wasting your time.

Immie

which still would have zero impact in terms of this person's *opinion* as to what is constitutional.

so he should probably keep his money since those issues are determined by the Court anyway.

Buy a megaphone and wander down to your representatives local office. Stand right outside the door and scream into the megaphone at full volume.

Also, while talking into the megaphone, ask passers-by for spare change.

Immie

which still would have zero impact in terms of this person's *opinion* as to what is constitutional.

so he should probably keep his money since those issues are determined by the Court anyway.

Oh, but at least she/he will get a thank you for your opinion letter in the mail... of course, along with it will be a "send more" note.

Immie

Immie

If I can waste my time in a forum, I can waste my time writing a letter. :) If 5,000,000 letters from the people showed up to a senators door, I think it would have an affect... I will do what I can.

Immie

If I can waste my time in a forum, I can waste my time writing a letter. :) If 5,000,000 letters from the people showed up to a senators door, I think it would have an affect... I will do what I can.

Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you. :lol:

Immie

I've sent emails and letters. Surprisingly enough..I generally get responses. And not form letters either..real deal responses.

I've sent emails and letters. Surprisingly enough..I generally get responses. And not form letters either..real deal responses.

I got a response from President Clinton once. I'm sure he never read my letter, but it was obvious that one of his staff members had. Same with other letters and emails I've sent.

Immie

I can tell you the top ways:

Write them

Talk to them in person.

Good luck.

What is the best way to talk to them? I'm not real interested in screaming out something I don't like while they pass by in public. It would be awesome if I could somehow schedule a discussion.

Immie

Contributions can open doors but unless it's a whopper, you'll not likely get an invite for a personal audience. It's about access and building relationships and developing familarity.

Politicians keep offices within their districts and sometimes meet with constituents. Call and see if you can set something up. Writing letters and sending emails is not a waste of time. Doing nothing is a waste.

If there's an organization or group of people with similar views, see if you can join with them. There's strength in numbers. Last month I spent 3 days in DC with about 80 others in my industry. Our association had set up meetings with over 100 congressmen and senators. We had a time table, addresses, and an agenda.

Good luck.

I don't want to sit in an online forum and discuss what my views are at this time.

I trust you have a good reason for saying this. When you think the time is right, this message board could be quite helpful. You'll most likely get some support, but you're going to get opposing views too. You may get downright flamed.

Politicians like statistics, data, and succinctly expressed views. Being specific helps.

When they aren't personally available, you'll meet with a member of their staff. Some deal with specific issues. These folks can run the gamut though depending on their experience, exposure to the issues, and years of service.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back