Best teotwawki...

The reason I asked about how many rounds people have stored is I wonder whether running out of brass is going to be an issue for anyone over 40.

If you fire 10 rounds a day for a year, that is only 3650 a year. Salvage the brass and get 3 reloads out of it, if you have 20k rounds stored, you potentially have 80k rounds. That is 21 years worth of ammo.
In the day, I got 20 reloads.

20? Wow. That is some tough brass

You might want to re-think that.

After a few years of TEOTWAWKI, supplies of modern powder will be exhausted and you'll have to start reloading with locally manufactured black powder.

The reason revolving rifles / shotguns never caught on back in the day was something called ... chain fire. While a bad thing for pistols, it's disastrous for longarms ... think about your hand on the fore-stock.
By that time primers will be gone as well and we'll all be looking for flintlocks.

Or bows

Metal cartridge ammo was originally made with 19th century machine tools and common metals.

Percussion primers have been around since the 17th Century.

Many people today are quite capable of recreating that process.

Make friends with them.
Cartridge ammo takes an industry, not an individual.

It can be done by an individual. I wouldn’t load the cases to the max. But it can be done.
Making primers is supped to be pretty finicky. Of course I've never tried or even researched it be we are talking about manufacturing quantities of impact detonated explosive.

But I suppose it could be done if someone were determined enough.
Tm 31-210 Improvised Munitions Handbook v3 | Gunpowder | Explosive Material

Page 69

The reason I asked about how many rounds people have stored is I wonder whether running out of brass is going to be an issue for anyone over 40.

If you fire 10 rounds a day for a year, that is only 3650 a year. Salvage the brass and get 3 reloads out of it, if you have 20k rounds stored, you potentially have 80k rounds. That is 21 years worth of ammo.
Which brings us to consensus as to what constitutes ‘teotwawki.’

To my mind teotwawki means cities are destroyed, your home likewise destroyed – no food, no water, no power, no LE, no hospitals, no nothing; just what you can carry on your back.

Cities, towns, and neighborhoods are abandoned, you’re heading out on foot into the wilderness to get away from whatever caused the end of the world.

In this manifestation of teotwawki your reloading room is gone – no dies, no press, no brass, no powder, no primers.

That’s why having guns chambered in common, easy to find ammo is vital.

In the day, I got 20 reloads.

20? Wow. That is some tough brass

I'd say a lot depends on what you're reloading. I'd imagine straight walled low pressure brass would last a long time...especially if you were only neck sizing.

To my mind teotwawki means cities are destroyed, your home likewise destroyed – no food, no water, no power, no LE, no hospitals, no nothing; just what you can carry on your back.

Cities, towns, and neighborhoods are abandoned, you’re heading out on foot into the wilderness to get away from whatever caused the end of the world.

In this manifestation of teotwawki your reloading room is gone – no dies, no press, no brass, no powder, no primers.

Agreed...although the Lee Loader is still available...so you could conceivably reload on the move...

But I agree...The Road...

The-Road-001.jpg

Teotwawki can be any number of things. It could be a large meteor hitting the planet and wiping out all life. I don't have a plan for that. Don't need one.

But a societal collapse can be caused by many things. It could be running out of oil, revolution, epidemics ect. If it is nuclear war, I probably won't survive the first volley, and neither will my kids. So no biggie.

Heading out into the wilderness for many means going to a specific place where they have stashed some stuff. Or to a vacation/getaway spot where they have stored provisions and supply. My gun safe will likely survive just about anything.

...firearm?

Eat fun for the end of the world as we know it.... Hm, I figure the one you have on hand most likely. Can’t beat any shot gun really. A good .22 would be real nice. .410 gets no respect! But I have this little Remington that I would feel just fine with. But for the sake of the topic Glock 17 because I got one and an AR 15 because I have one whole one and bits and pieces of at least 1 1/2 more. I would shoot that thing right next to any street legal AK with 1,000% confidence.

Forum List

Back