Best states for math and science have high rate of teacher unionization

Unions | Teachers Union Facts

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

All of the "well above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate.

All of the "above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate except Virginia.

Of the 9 "far below" average states, 6 have a unionization rate below 45%.

Clearly its not the unions causing schools to do poorly in math and science. Any suggestion that they are doesn't doesn't jive with the facts.

Parents are the reason our kids are failing or succeeding. They don't learn at home they don't learn at school. The teachers club affilation doesn't make any difference.

I'll take it a step further and say kids are the reason kids are failing or succeeding.

What ever happened to blaming the student for their success of lack thereof? In my day if I got a bad grade it was my fault - not my parents fault, and certainly not the teacher's fault.

All of the "well above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate.

All of the "above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate except Virginia.

Clearly its not the unions causing schools to do poorly in math and science. Any suggestion that they are doesn't doesn't jive with the facts.

Interesting that you draw a conclusion without taking all of the data into account. Do you still want me to believe you are an astrophysicist, or are you going to claim to be a teacher now?

First, the obvious problems here. Your data on unionization is from 2008-2009, and the data on Math and Science is from 2011. Since they are from different years it requires us to make unwarranted assumptions about the data. Let us go ahead and make the assumption that the unionization rates remain more or less constant and see what we can determine.

The best test scores are in Massachusetts, which happens to have a high unionization rate. The worst is Mississippi, which has a low unionization rate. So far, so good. Unfortunately, for you, the data shows that CA, NV, OR, WA, and KS, among others, also have a high unionization rate, and have test scores in Math and Science that are from below average to far below average. It also shows that Virginia, which has a very low unionization rate, has high test scores.

That makes your conclusion full of shit.

The following is still true:

Clearly unions don't prevent states from become above average or well above average in math & science.

If Virginia has a well above average rate for Math and Science scores, and no teachers unions, doesn't that make your statement wrong? Isn't that why you ended up modifying it after I pointed out the flaws in your argument? Why not, for once in your life, admit you were wrong? You claim to be a scientist, act like one.

Interesting that you draw a conclusion without taking all of the data into account. Do you still want me to believe you are an astrophysicist, or are you going to claim to be a teacher now?

First, the obvious problems here. Your data on unionization is from 2008-2009, and the data on Math and Science is from 2011. Since they are from different years it requires us to make unwarranted assumptions about the data. Let us go ahead and make the assumption that the unionization rates remain more or less constant and see what we can determine.

The best test scores are in Massachusetts, which happens to have a high unionization rate. The worst is Mississippi, which has a low unionization rate. So far, so good. Unfortunately, for you, the data shows that CA, NV, OR, WA, and KS, among others, also have a high unionization rate, and have test scores in Math and Science that are from below average to far below average. It also shows that Virginia, which has a very low unionization rate, has high test scores.

That makes your conclusion full of shit.

The following is still true:

Clearly unions don't prevent states from become above average or well above average in math & science.

If Virginia has a well above average rate for Math and Science scores, and no teachers unions, doesn't that make your statement wrong?
This statement?
No.

This statement:

No.

Isn't that why you ended up modifying it after I pointed out the flaws in your argument? Why not, for once in your life, admit you were wrong? You claim to be a scientist, act like one.

I didn't modify shit. The first statement above is copied verbatim from the OP. My argument isn't that unions cause schools to be better at math&science - if that were my actual argument, the fact that Virginia is above average would in fact prove my argument wrong. My argument is that unions don't prevent schools from being good at math&science. Do you even understand the difference?

Last edited:

Parents are the reason our kids are failing or succeeding. They don't learn at home they don't learn at school. The teachers club affilation doesn't make any difference.

I'll take it a step further and say kids are the reason kids are failing or succeeding.

What ever happened to blaming the student for their success of lack thereof? In my day if I got a bad grade it was my fault - not my parents fault, and certainly not the teacher's fault.

i would like to rep you for that, but i don't have the reps to do it right now

i would like to rep you for that, but i don't have the reps to do it right now

Good reps I hope!

About the Center for Union Facts

The Center for Union Facts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization supported by foundations, businesses, union members, and the general public. We are dedicated to showing Americans the truth about today's teachers unions.

CUF is not part of any political campaign, and we don't support candidates for office. We are about education (and we wish teachers unions could consistently say the same thing).

If you are part of the media and would like to schedule an interview, call 202.463.7106.

obvious lobbyists are obvious.

The Center for Union Facts is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization supported by foundations, businesses, union members, and the general public. We are dedicated to showing Americans the truth about today's teachers unions.

CUF is not part of any political campaign, and we don't support candidates for office. We are about education (and we wish teachers unions could consistently say the same thing).

If you are part of the media and would like to schedule an interview, call 202.463.7106.

obvious pecker is obvious ^

obvious pecker is obvious ^

tissue?

They are unionized where I am. And I have yet to meet a teller who can count change without a calculator. If that's above average the rest of you are screwed.

There really are people out there who are against middle class people making a decent wage. Most of em live down south.

They are unionized where I am. And I have yet to meet a teller who can count change without a calculator. If that's above average the rest of you are screwed.

I never made the claim that unions cause students to be good at math and science, only that they clearly don't prevent it - as the data in the OP shows. It would appear that the presence of unionized teachers has little to do with how well their students do.

BTW, I'm pretty sure bank tellers are required to use the calculator on every transaction.

Last edited:
Both my boys went to private school. Our family wasn't interested in free condoms, the removal of "God" from the pledge and lessons on same-sex filth taught by tenured lazy asses who whine about how poorly they're paid, yet get every fucking summer off.

Both my boys went to private school. Our family wasn't interested in free condoms, the removal of "God" from the pledge and lessons on same-sex filth taught by tenured lazy asses who whine about how poorly they're paid, yet get every fucking summer off.

i don't know about the public schools in your area but in the school disctict I teach

there were no free condoms, the pledge still has "God " in it, no same sex taught in sex ed and we haven't had a raise in four years.

This past summer I have taken a workshop required by the school district and needed to take 6 credits at the MA level to keep my job.

What did you do while on vacation?

Forum List

Back