Best states for math and science have high rate of teacher unionization

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
Unions | Teachers Union Facts

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

All of the "well above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate.

All of the "above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate except Virginia.

Of the 9 "far below" average states, 6 have a unionization rate below 45%.

Clearly its not the unions causing schools to do poorly in math and science. Any suggestion that they are doesn't doesn't jive with the facts.

Ever wonder why lefties love illegal aliens who don't know a word of English? It's an excuse for the failure of the union based school system. Look at the map. Border states make the worst union based education look good.

You know that's all relative right?

American Education is shit and has been shit for quite some time. Not even in the top 10 of industrialized nations.

"Well Above Average" takes on a whole new meaning when you realize that.

Ever wonder why lefties love illegal aliens who don't know a word of English? It's an excuse for the failure of the union based school system. Look at the map. Border states make the worst union based education look good.

Wow. Everything is always about illegal immigrants and abortion with you right wing nutties.

You know that's all relative right?

American Education is shit and has been shit for quite some time. Not even in the top 10 of industrialized nations.

"Well Above Average" takes on a whole new meaning when you realize that.

So you'd prefer below average because BWAAHHGH unions still gotta be the cause no matter what the data says.

Got it.

It looks like when a state has a high rate of unionization, the parents resort to private schools which increases the scores in math and science.

My cousin and her Husband both held jobs with the Army Corp of Engineers, they both left their Jobs and moved to Massachusetts to teach, her husband to teach Science and she took a mathematics job, on the Cape, in Massachusetts....they were from New York State. This town on the Cape was hurting for Math and Science teachers, so they offered my cousin and her husband, no property taxes on their home in their community for 5-10 years if they came to teach there, along with a lot of other perks, like excellent salaries.

The town that we lived in Massachusetts had the number 1 school rating in the county....Matt and I were never able to have children, but we chose to live in this town because we felt the resale value of the home would be greater when we went to sell it. Property taxes were outrageous there....for a small 1600 sq ft home they were nearly $4000 a year....We did get that money back and some when we did sell it, so our hunch was right.

Good schooling does matter in the northeast/New England...people do and will pay for better teachers and they recruit for the best of the best across State lines up here...

I know that has nothing to do with Unions, other than the pay structure and getting the best of the best with that pay structure, along with other things to attract good teachers like giving free property taxes.... I believe for a while the State or maybe it was the city of Boston, offered no income taxes for teachers willing to work in Boston....so they could attract teachers...

I personally know (unlike most of the unionphobes on here) the "union" is an invisible nothing in the day-to-day running of a classroom.

It basically means if you don't think the latest greatest teaching method (like group work) is garbage and say so, the principal won't be able to exact revenge.

It promotes good honest dialog and keeps your nose from the manditory turning brown.

And these "new" theories come and go like cold fronts in the plains, usually promoted by a teacher that bailed out and is now out selling the theory like used cars.

Wow. Everything is always about illegal immigrants and abortion with you right wing nutties.

Well duh, does the left ignore every fact and every aspect of modern civilization or just the ones that tend to disprove their crazy theories?

All of the "well above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate.

All of the "above average" states for math & science have > 75% unionization rate except Virginia.

Clearly its not the unions causing schools to do poorly in math and science. Any suggestion that they are doesn't doesn't jive with the facts.

Parents are the reason our kids are failing or succeeding. They don't learn at home they don't learn at school. The teachers club affilation doesn't make any difference.

Interesting that you draw a conclusion without taking all of the data into account. Do you still want me to believe you are an astrophysicist, or are you going to claim to be a teacher now?

First, the obvious problems here. Your data on unionization is from 2008-2009, and the data on Math and Science is from 2011. Since they are from different years it requires us to make unwarranted assumptions about the data. Let us go ahead and make the assumption that the unionization rates remain more or less constant and see what we can determine.

The best test scores are in Massachusetts, which happens to have a high unionization rate. The worst is Mississippi, which has a low unionization rate. So far, so good. Unfortunately, for you, the data shows that CA, NV, OR, WA, and KS, among others, also have a high unionization rate, and have test scores in Math and Science that are from below average to far below average. It also shows that Virginia, which has a very low unionization rate, has high test scores.

That makes your conclusion full of shit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN_9oXi1o6U&feature=related]Fox and Friends Ignorance exposed regarding coca and cocain. Dumb americans? - YouTube[/ame]

I personally know (unlike most of the unionphobes on here) the "union" is an invisible nothing in the day-to-day running of a classroom.

It basically means if you don't think the latest greatest teaching method (like group work) is garbage and say so, the principal won't be able to exact revenge.

It promotes good honest dialog and keeps your nose from the manditory turning brown.

And these "new" theories come and go like cold fronts in the plains, usually promoted by a teacher that bailed out and is now out selling the theory like used cars.

I'm a sped teacher.

One of the trends is " individualized instruction for all students"

in my first period class and 5th period class I have 10 students

20 students X 287 days = 5740 different lesson plans

That does not include 2nd, 3rd, 6th ,7th and 8th periods when I have fewer students.

I wish the new trend would be giving us time to implement the new trend

I'm a sped teacher.

One of the trends is " individualized instruction for all students"

in my first period class and 5th period class I have 10 students

20 students X 287 days = 5740 different lesson plans

That does not include 2nd, 3rd, 6th ,7th and 8th periods when I have fewer students.

I wish the new trend would be giving us time to implement the new trend

They now expect us to do that for EVERY student (meeting the individual student's needs).

I saw about 150 students per day-
150 x 180 days = 27,000 individual lesson plans per school year

If they gave us enough time to create and implement this, the individual students would be 3 grades past us by the time the lessons were ready.

Under Indiana's new evaluation system, to get a good one you must be spending time outside of the classroom with students on a regular basis.
If I hadn't retired this year, I was planning on grilling steaks every Thursday evening and having the troublemakers over (just kidding-I couldn't afford to replace all the silverware that often)

It's gotten so ridiculous..

Interesting that you draw a conclusion without taking all of the data into account. Do you still want me to believe you are an astrophysicist, or are you going to claim to be a teacher now?

First, the obvious problems here. Your data on unionization is from 2008-2009, and the data on Math and Science is from 2011. Since they are from different years it requires us to make unwarranted assumptions about the data. Let us go ahead and make the assumption that the unionization rates remain more or less constant and see what we can determine.

The best test scores are in Massachusetts, which happens to have a high unionization rate. The worst is Mississippi, which has a low unionization rate. So far, so good. Unfortunately, for you, the data shows that CA, NV, OR, WA, and KS, among others, also have a high unionization rate, and have test scores in Math and Science that are from below average to far below average. It also shows that Virginia, which has a very low unionization rate, has high test scores.

That makes your conclusion full of shit.

The following is still true:

Clearly unions don't prevent states from become above average or well above average in math & science.

Forum List

Back