Votes: 4 30.8%
  • All In The Family

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Married With Children

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simpsons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting that The Cosby Show is not mentioned. Not even in the top ten? Come on.

I think M*A*S*H was a cut above, combining humor with an occasional dose of reality.

If I may be grumpy for a moment, 'All In The Family" was grotesque, if watched closely. The characters were absurd caricatures. Archie Bunker was basically, an "elite" New York Jew's impression of what a working-class Protestant was like. Archie Bunker didn't exist and no one like him ever existed.

Mike Stivic was a shallow piece of garbage whose life and views were so counter to a typical working-class Polish man as to be insulting. Again, Norman Lear and his cronies obviously had no clue about what normal people are like, so invented this caricature and convinced a gullible public that it was realistic.

The whole thing was a Liberal wet dream - made up working-class people who could be made the butt of a perpetual stream of snide jokes and innuendo. What better way to make fun of people with whom you disagree?

Interesting that The Cosby Show is not mentioned. Not even in the top ten? Come on.

I think M*A*S*H was a cut above, combining humor with an occasional dose of reality.

If I may be grumpy for a moment, 'All In The Family" was grotesque, if watched closely. The characters were absurd caricatures. Archie Bunker was basically, an "elite" New York Jew's impression of what a working-class Protestant was like. Archie Bunker didn't exist and no one like him ever existed.

Mike Stivic was a shallow piece of garbage whose life and views were so counter to a typical working-class Polish man as to be insulting. Again, Norman Lear and his cronies obviously had no clue about what normal people are like, so invented this caricature and convinced a gullible public that it was realistic.

The whole thing was a Liberal wet dream - made up working-class people who could be made the butt of a perpetual stream of snide jokes and innuendo. What better way to make fun of people with whom you disagree?
Your critique of AITF clearly gets an F in literary and film criticism and 'boo on you' as cultural misanthrope. Mash indeed was a cut above.

Hard to name just one

Seinfeld
MASH
Honeymooners
Everyone loves Raymond
All in the Family
Bob Newhart Show
Andy Griffith

I don't consider The Simpsons to be Sitcom...it is more parody

you've got some esplaining to dooo...

latest

The 20 best TV sitcoms of all time – readers' choice

Agree that for the first season or two, All in the Family was basically caricatures. Archie was a bigot, Edith was a dingbat, Mike was a meathead

As the show went on, the writers were given more latitude. Archie was not just a bigot but a product of his generation, an icon of a time long past clinging to his values. Edith was one of the finest human beings ever on a sitcom. Beyond dumb there was a basic goodness to her. Mike was as much a product of his times as Archie was of his. Mike was not as bright as he thought and developed a loving relationship with Archie as a father. Gloria grew up from hotpants girl to a modern woman

The show was outstanding with great writing and character development

It has aged well

Last edited:

It was actually just a list, not a Top 10 - I missed I Love Lucy also....

I really liked the office...
Unless you understand big city life, not sure how you could understand Seinfeld.
Growing up 5 miles from the DC border, totally got it.. yet, was never really a fave of mine.....

I really liked the office...
Unless you understand big city life, not sure how you could understand Seinfeld.
Growing up 5 miles from the DC border, totally got it.. yet, was never really a fave of mine.....

If you don't understand big city life....there is always Green Acres

I also like Mike and Molly. That show is pretty funny. Still, none of the newer shows are nearly as funny as Seinfeld, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond. Those are three of my favs, and no others seem to be able to compare to them, IMO.

There is It's Always Sunny, which is good and funny, but that is a completely (and much more raunchy) type of comedy. Seinfeld, King of Queens, etc., were more "wholesome" types of sitcoms.

I also like Mike and Molly. That show is pretty funny. Still, none of the newer shows are nearly as funny as Seinfeld, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond. Those are three of my favs, and no others seem to be able to compare to them, IMO.

There is It's Always Sunny, which is good and funny, but that is a completely (and much more raunchy) type of comedy. Seinfeld, King of Queens, etc., were more "wholesome" types of sitcoms.

For the life of me, I do not get Big Bang Theory

I find it more annoying than anything else, really. :lol: There is a REASON why people find nerds annoying. It's because they ARE annoying.

I started watching The Big Bang Theory because I had recognized "Leonard" on the show as "David" from Rosanne. Remember Rosanne? That was another really funny sitcom. The chemistry between the characters in Rosanne was so realistic too! You would have thought Dan and Rosanne were really husband and wife. :)

I started watching The Big Bang Theory because I had recognized "Leonard" on the show as "David" from Rosanne. Remember Rosanne? That was another really funny sitcom. The chemistry between the characters in Rosanne was so realistic too! You would have thought Dan and Rosanne were really husband and wife. :)

Roseanne was well written, but mean spirited
After a while, it turned me off

Roseanne was well written, but mean spirited
After a while, it turned me off

I loved Roseanne. I only got turned off to that show towards the end when they won the lottery and all that added story line. It totally changed the dynamics of the show!

I don't think Sitcoms are very good in general, but, there have been a few that have been exceptional ... which is your favorite? And why?

Close together = "70s" = Barney Miller
"80s" = Cheers.

Barney Miller - Jack Soo made Barney Miller. I loved the opening sequence and the shot of the city in the opening. The antics and comedy was original for the 70s.

Cheers. Easy. = George Wendt made Cheers.

Woody = "Hey Norm. Hows life in the fast lane?"
Norm = " I don't know, I can't find the onramp.

Shadow 355
I liked "Hey Norm what's shakin?"
Norm: "4 cheeks and 2 chins but thanks for askin"

Forum List

Back