Best Science Fiction shows that are Not Star Trek

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
here's my short list.

Firefly- Way too short of a run, but they got a lot into 14 episodes.

Babylon 5- A sprawling, epic Space Opera. Great drama, characters with real depth, and Deep Space Nine spent seven season trying to rip it off.

Farscape- A great universe, and some interesting characters.

Doctor Who- The British never get enough credit.

Blake's Seven- Special effects look like they were done in a Nerd's basement, but the story telling more than made up for it.

B5

And why did they never finish Crusade?

btw Gene Roddenberrys widow was on B5 and not on Voyager or DS9.

Twilight Zone
X-Files
Wild Wild West

(I cheated. Found a list of 50 and used it to remind me of some faves. :))

Dr. Who is #1 with a bullet. Even the old series is good schlocky fun as well as some REALLY well written stuff.

BSG, the remake is great, but the old stuff is good too.

Farscape. Original, imaginative, well produced with great quirks

Buck Rodgers. Season One, Awesome 1970's Sci Fi, but the second season was crap save for a few good episodes. Cancelled too soon due to stupid show direction choices.

Blake's 7. Product of it's era, but it's still fun AND it has one of the best series ends of all time. Too bad Terry Nation couldn't get the BBC to let him use his creation The Daleks in it.

Max Headroom. Come on now. Till NBC over-kibbitzed, the show was great, edgy TV that harpooned it's own medium.

Honorable Mention to the short lived Fox series "War of the Worlds" which did a novel spin on the martian invaders that blended many classic sci fi tropes. Once the popular military lead left, the show just didn't have the same impact.

For animated Sci Fi:

Ghost in the Shell: SAC. The best, by far. The mind bending of Phillip K. Dick with the heart of Bruce Lee and Masamune Shiro's heart.

Filmation's Flash Gordon. The first season, very true to the original. The second season... again... MORONS!

Futurama. Lampoons the genre in lovable ways.

Twilight Zone
X-Files
Wild Wild West

(I cheated. Found a list of 50 and used it to remind me of some faves. :))
Twilight Zone, X Files, Night Gallery, The Stand mini series.

the Stand was really well done, but I don't like director Mick Garris' clean style.

Majel Barrett reprised the Lwaxana Troi role in two episodes of DS9.

Anyway, I'll second the remake of BSG (though with the Ron Moore influence it feels like watching DS9 sometimes) and, of course, Futurama.

I'll toss out Quantum Leap for '90s nostalgia.

>

FireFly (One more season to the characters to develop and it really would have had long legs).

Stargate (not the spin offs)

And I still like Fringe and Being Human

Oh, BSG

>>>>

Last edited:
I'm sure to forget some shows here.

Firefly
Farscape
X-Files (I'll list Fringe here as well, since it's sometimes like a remake of X-Files lol)
Highlander (if you want to call it sci-fi)
Misfits (again, not sure if it really fits in the sci-fi genre)
Space Above and Beyond
Defying Gravity
Torchwood (I've only seen the US version, but I enjoyed it)
Terminator: TSCC

For animations, I loved Robotech when I was young.

Too many good sci-fi shows get cancelled early, it seems. I suppose it's just not a genre that enough people want to watch (or at least not enough Neilsen people).

In no particular order...

Fringe

Quantum Leap

The Jetsons

Firefly

The Outer Limits

Sliders

Just a few among many...

In no particular order...

Fringe

Quantum Leap

The Jetsons

Firefly

The Outer Limits

Sliders

Just a few among many...
I forgot Outer Limits also. I like The Mentalist but that may not be sci fi. It appears to me to have supernatural elements.

B5

And why did they never finish Crusade?

She did the computer voice in every series and all the movies, that makes her the only person who was in every episode and movie.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oDuGN6K3VQ]Twin Peaks Intro - YouTube[/ame]

Not exactly science fiction, but out there.

Forum List

Back