Best Rock Rhythm Sections?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
So who tops your list of best rock drummer/bass player teams?

IMO, Neil Peart/Geddy Lee get top honors. Probably Keith Moon/John Entwistle a close second.

And then in no particular order

Tool (Don't know their names :redface:)
Steve Harris/Nicko McBrain
John Bonham/John Paul Jones

phil lesh/bill kreutzman/mickey hart
charlie watts/bill wyman
mick fleetwood/john mcvie
ginger baker/ jack bruce
jack casidy/spencer dryden
noel redding/mitch mitchell

i'd put the Dead boys first and the rest close behind.

rush does nothing for me, although my son the drummer thinks a lot of peart.

My personal favs

Santana - Dave Brown, Mike Shrieve, Coke Escovedo, Peter Escovedo
The Who - John Entwistle, Keith Moon
Cream - Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker

My personal favs

Santana - Dave Brown, Mike Shrieve, Coke Escovedo, Peter Escovedo
The Who - John Entwistle, Keith Moon
Cream - Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker

No shit! The original Santana band was incredible, when they added Neal Schon they were perfect.

Little Jose Chepito Areas was also an integral part of the percussion section, his timbales work was outstanding.

Always loved this video, the whole band is so intense.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnamP4-M9ko]YouTube - Santana - Soul Sacrifice (Woodstock 1969)[/ame]

• Banned
charlie watts/bill wyman
ginger baker/ jack bruce

Wow. I've seen the Dead a couple times and while I enjoyed myself, I think you overrate them considerably... and then some. But to each his own. And good call on redding/mitchell and baker/bruce.

charlie watts/bill wyman
ginger baker/ jack bruce

Wow. I've seen the Dead a couple times and while I enjoyed myself, I think you overrate them considerably... and then some. But to each his own. And good call on redding/mitchell and baker/bruce.

well, there's no accounting for taste, especially mine. :lol:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9N2LPHnKT4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9N2LPHnKT4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

berry oakley, jai johanny “jaimoe” johanson and butch trucks

dusty hill and frank beard

chris layton and tommy shannon

and more recently

pino palladino and steve jordan

there is no contest. there is no best ... fortunately for us, there is lots of wonderful

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I would almost call Maiden, with Harris and McBrain, the lead section.. considering the complexity of Harris' bass lines... but if you are just using the bass/drums combo, I would say that are at or near the top of the list, as Harris is the best bass player, hands down, that is alive today

I would almost call Maiden, with Harris and McBrain, the lead section.. considering the complexity of Harris' bass lines... but if you are just using the bass/drums combo, I would say that are at or near the top of the list, as Harris is the best bass player, hands down, that is alive today

Speaking of Maiden, I just watched a couple specials about them on Palladia over the weekend. As I was watching many performances from their recent tour I couldn't help cracking up over one poster's insistence a little while back that they're not as good as Metallica. :rofl:

If you want to include Jazz-Rock Fusion

Curt Cress and Wolfgang Schmidt

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vkIEG1M4ZA]YouTube - Passport ~ Ostinato[/ame]

Stanley Clarke and Gerry Brown

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctTX2M_mmp8&feature=PlayList&p=7919B1853C30B89F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5]YouTube - School Days - Stanley Clarke[/ame]

Speaking of Maiden, I just watched a couple specials about them on Palladia over the weekend. As I was watching many performances from their recent tour I couldn't help cracking up over one poster's insistence a little while back that they're not as good as Metallica. :rofl:

Got a kid that would strongly disagree with that. :lol:

Disagree with which part?

Now you've gone and done it, Cynic. Jazz is "off topic" -- but since you went there, drums are a percussion instrument (up in the OP), so here ya go....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thLCAi4jNWA]YouTube - The Bishop of Jazz (Rio Clemente) 2004[/ame]

Disagree with which part?

That they're not as good as Metallica of course. He's majoring in music, BTW.

So who tops your list of best rock drummer/bass player teams?

IMO, Neil Peart/Geddy Lee get top honors. Probably Keith Moon/John Entwistle a close second.

And then in no particular order

Tool (Don't know their names :redface:)
Steve Harris/Nicko McBrain
John Bonham/John Paul Jones

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Forum List

Back