Best part of the day (working day)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
On a working day, what is your favorite part of the day?

Mine is between 2pm-4pm... I am at the office between 5-5:30am...I leave between 1:30-2pm.
Except a couple folks that are retired, my whole neighborhood is still at work...nice and peaceful...no lawn mowers/weed eaters... nice.

Starting early and finishing early rocks!

It's funny how this has worked for me...in my entire career (I am 51) I have never had a 9-5 job...I think I would go insane getting off that late. I beat morning and afternoon rush hour...if I need something from the store...walk right up to the cashier line...I hardly ever stand in line for anything!

Starting early and finishing early rocks!

It's funny how this has worked for me...in my entire career (I am 51) I have never had a 9-5 job...I think I would go insane getting off that late. I beat morning and afternoon rush hour...if I need something from the store...walk right up to the cashier line...I hardly ever stand in line for anything!

That's how working 3rd shift is. No rush hour traffic. If I have to stop at the store, no lines. Get home (when I work at the hospital), or finish work (when I'm working at home), take a nap and then I have pretty much the whole day to myself.

I love working those hours. At first I hated it, but now that I'm used to it, I like it a lot more than working during the day.

It's whatever you get used to.
I have been asked a zillion times "how do you get up that early"?!! I always say I have been doing it so many years it doesn't bother me at all...I am no more or less tired when I wake up as you.
But my work time has those benefits...waaay less traffic..and it is peaceful as heck for the first few hours I get home everyday.

I love working those hours. At first I hated it, but now that I'm used to it, I like it a lot more than working during the day.

I have been asked a zillion times "how do you get up that early"?!! I always say I have been doing it so many years it doesn't bother me at all...I am no more or less tired when I wake up as you.
But my work time has those benefits...waaay less traffic..and it is peaceful as heck for the first few hours I get home everyday.

I have tonight off! :2up:

I can take off pretty much when I want. A big part of what I do now is estimating and pricing projects, which I can do from anywhere. During warm months I leave after lunch a few times a week and work on the laptop out here where I am now on the patio. I bring in a lot of $$ to the company so no one says much to me!

I can take off pretty much when I want. A big part of what I do now is estimating and pricing projects, which I can do from anywhere. During warm months I leave after lunch a few times a week and work on the laptop out here where I am now on the patio. I bring in a lot of $$ to the company so no one says much to me!

I can't do that, but I do have PTO, so I get paid when I do decide to take time off.

I can't do that, but I do have PTO, so I get paid when I do decide to take time off.

..PTO..boy the old way was a lot better.. (vacation days plus sick days)
Just yet another thing corporations have taken away from employees...combining sick/vac..which basically means eliminated paid sick time.

Just yet another thing corporations have taken away from employees...combining sick/vac..which means basically eliminated paid sick time.

I like it. I have a ton of PTO built up! More than 100 hours now. What I don't like is that they will only carry over so many hours into next year. I can't remember how many. I think it's like 30 or 40 hours, so I have to be sure to use most of it before the end of the year. I do have a vacation coming up in June for a week, so that's 40 hours. My hospital job doesn't give me anything because it's only a part-time job. :(

Just yet another thing corporations have taken away from employees...combining sick/vac..which means basically eliminated paid sick time.

I like it. I have a ton of PTO built up! More than 100 hours now. What I don't like is that they will only carry over so many hours into next year. I can't remember how many. I think it's like 30 or 40 hours, so I have to be sure to use most of it before the end of the year. I do have a vacation coming up in June for a week, so that's 40 hours. My hospital job doesn't give me anything because it's only a part-time job. :(
Unfortunately that is not typical. Both my kids are in the medical field so that seems common in that industry. All too many companies have the "use it or lose it" policy. (not illegal in my state) You cannot bank any hours at all.
Before PTO, most companies allowed 50% bank sick leave...meaning you can bank half of whatever sick time you did not use in a given year to a maxed number. For years I had 360 sick hours...which was the max. When I had an operation 10 years or so ago I was off 6 weeks and was paid the full 100% wage and did not have to use one minute of VAC pay. Companies also use to allow percentage banking of VAC time or option of cashing in...that is gone for many also.

Unfortunately that is not typical. Both my kids are in the medical field so that seems common in that industry. All too many companies have the "use it or lose it" policy. (not illegal in my state) You cannot bank any hours at all.
Before PTO, most companies allowed 50% bank sick leave...meaning you can bank half of whatever sick time you did not use in a given year to a maxed number. For years I had 360 sick hours...which was the max. When I had an operation 10 years or so ago I was off 6 weeks and was paid the full 100% wage and did not have to use one minute of VAC pay. Companies also use to allow percentage banking of VAC time or option of cashing in...that is gone for many also.

I think if they aren't going to let you carry it over into the next year, you should get $$ instead. Lol. :D

Forum List

Back