Best movies EVER?

Favorite scary move: The Bad Seed.

The only horror movie that seems plausible.

That is a fantastic movie - intelligent script and dialogue, wonderful cast.

Other favorites:

All About Eve
Quo Vadis
Rebecca
Laura
Vertigo
Rear Window
Spartacus
Ben Hur

Is it also just me? Or is Jack Sparrow the most flamboyantly gay excuse for a pirate ever.

No. Johnny Depp is very good looking.

Not arguing that. Just saying that his character's mannerisms, walk, etc. were so damn effeminate.

Like the way he would flail is hands up when he ran or talked, and that "accent"

Just saying.

johnny depp based jack sparrow's mannerisms, walk, etc, on keith richards.

"The Usual Suspects" with Kevin Spacey and Chazz Palminteri (among others) is one of my favs.

Check it out, it 's got a great twist.

And in 45 years the only movie scene that made me tear up like a little girl goes to:

I have to admit...the closing scene of Lawrence of Arabia gets me 'almost misty':eusa_whistle:.

if you have not seen it, it won't mean much.....at all over, they have used him, wrung him dry and hes peremptorily dismissed because he has now become inconvenient to have around due to Arab sympathies...... and the arabs don't want him around anymore, so hes thrown a bone, a promotion, "well done" , and a "godspeed ", he is resigned to it but crushed.......................as hes driven away hes sees some Bedouin on horseback he passes on the side of the road, he stands, look's...the longing...then as they recede into the distance the tremendous sense of loss, for all intent and purposes his life is over...and he knows it and he communicates that oh so very well.

Off the top of my head--

Fight Club
Saving Private Ryan
Scarface
Godfather 1
Wall Street
Layer Cake
Crash
Dumbo
The Emperor's Club
Goodwill Hunting

In no particular order and as much as I can recall on the fly:

A Few Good Men
Down Periscope
Final Countdown
Dante's Peak
Pirates of the Caribbean - Curse of the Black Pearl. The sequels weren't as good.
Chocolate
The Wedding Date
Crocodile Dundee I & II
Open Range
Moonstruck
My Cousin Vinny
The Jazz Singer (the one with Neil Diamond)
An Officer and a Gentleman
Schindler's List
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
The Towering Inferno
Twister
Six Days Seven Nights
Ghost
Where Eagles Dare
Titanic
The Devil Wore Prada
Armageddon
As Good as it Gets
Sister Act
The King and I
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The Sound of Music
Oklahoma
Shall We Dance
The Mask of Zorro
Gran Torino
You've Got Mail
Sleepless in Seattle
The Terminal
Driving Miss Daisy
Fried Green Tomatoes
Steel Magnolias

Just a few in my personal inventory that I can watch again and again and again. There are other great movies but I don't want to see them again and again as I do the above. There's probably a lot more that belong on that list too.

Apocalypse Now
Serenity
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Spartacus
Brazil
Empire of the Sun
Reservoir Dogs
Always
Unforgiven

These are movies I can watch over and over and over so in my book that makes 'em very good.

Le Grand Illusion
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The 5th Element
Serenity
The Godfather
La Femme Nikita (the original by Luc Besson)
Blade Runner
12 O'clock High
The Winter War
Das Boot
The Road Warrior
El Dorado
Thief
Red Sun
The Seven Samurai (the full version)
The Great Escape
Sharkeys Machine
Dr. Strangelove
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Monty Pythons Life of Brian
Apocolypse Now
Le Mans
Valdez is Coming

I can go on for a few more pages but that would keep me happy for a long time!

Shop around the Corner
Mr Smith Goes to Washington
Rear Window
Arsenic and old lace

Right now I like Tangled a whole lot.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy7Mw5JyMpU&feature=related"]things getting hairy[/ame]

Gods and Generals
The Godfather
The Usual Suspects
Kelly’s Heroes
M*A*S*H
Lawrence of Arabia
Arsenic and Old Lace
Casablanca
Outlaw Jose Wales
Dr. Zhivago
Star Wars
The Magnificent Seven
Dr. Strangelove
North by Northwest
The Sting
Gardens of Stone
The Maltese Falcon
Bad Day At Black Rock
Silverado
Airplane
The Big Sleep
Zorro The Gay Blade
Young Frankenstein
The Sand Pebbles
Laura
Chinatown
Dial M for Murder
The Thin Man
The Rear Window
The General
Mulholland Falls
Bridge Over River Kwai
Operation Petticoat
A Bridge Too Far
The Great Escape
Paths of Glory
Johnny Got His Gun

Last edited:
"The Pawnbroker" with a brilliant performance by Rod Steiger, a professor who is a victim of Nazi Germany.

What "Scheindler's List" showed happening to millions of Jews, "The Pawnbroker" showed how a single Jew lost everything he ever loved and became a miserable human being in the aftermath of WW2, while living as a survivor in New York's Harlem.

The film has scenes of flashbacks to the concentration camp where he is a witness to his friends being killed and his wife forced to work as a whore for the Nazis.

It also is the first movie to be allowed the use of nudity and still be shown in theatres of the 1960's.

Probably the most depressing movie ever, yet the most social redeeming.

An important movie that never really received the credit it deserved which is why most real actors don't see the Academy Awards as a real test of a films quality but mostly a political or marketing tool.

In the Heat of the Night

Steiger is the only guy I've ever seen in a movie to wear the bus driver hat that didn't make me think he was about to start shouting orders in German.

Last edited:
Is it also just me? Or is Jack Sparrow the most flamboyantly gay excuse for a pirate ever.

No. Johnny Depp is very good looking.

Not arguing that. Just saying that his character's mannerisms, walk, etc. were so damn effeminate.

Like the way he would flail is hands up when he ran or talked, and that "accent"

Just saying.
His "mannerisms" were characterized after Keith Richards from the Rolling Stones. That's why Richards did a cameo playing Jack Sparrows dad.

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Tombstone
Star Wars - the series
Harry Potter - the series
The Wizard of Oz
One Night at McCools
Gettysburg

Last edited:
I like lots of movies. Too many to have a real favorite but a couple I like a lot are:

(1) Keeping the Faith
(2) Where the Red Fern Grows.

Also any movie where somebody gets shot is a good movie. Something about seeing people get shot in movies makes 'em good to me.

"The Victors"

The scene where the French lieutenant and his men refuse to let a group of German soldiers in a pill box surrender is priceless.

The line to the American sergent whose squad witnessed the event is priceless to: "If you feel you must report this, just pray your country is never occupied!"

Amadeus

The Birdcage

Capote

Wilde

Body Heat

Someone To Watch Over Me

Fried Green Tomatoes

Seabiscuit

L.A. Confidential

Les Miserables

A Christmas Carol

Great Expectations ( Gwyneth Paltrow )