Best military jet 1945-1970

Discussion in 'Military' started by Firehorse, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Firehorse

Firehorse Free Thinker

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I was really pained about where to break the block of time up, it seemed that "great" aircraft were being made and made obsolite in about 5 years ... So I decided to group everything together and let the best craft win

nominees ...

Mig-17 and 21
    Too many F designs by the us to put to number, from the Phantom, to Saber to Thunderchief to Starfighter ... And then the ultimate darkhorse, the one without the "F" ... B-52

So .... Let the debate begin

2. mawlarky

mawlarky Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Hawker Harrier is a clear winner in my book, such a versitile aircraft used throughout the world with an excellent durability and service record. This Jet proved its worth during the Falklands war.

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    Well I was gonna' go with the F-15 but I see it didn't enter service until 1975. So I'll have to say the F-86 followed closely by the F-4.

4. earlycuyler

earlycuyler Extra long Bad Ass Cut.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,183
    Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet ? My old Boss used to fly them in the Navy and said they were the best . They sure look formidable.

5. namvet

namvet Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,815
    ill nominate the sky raider. ww2, korea and nam

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Firehorse

Firehorse Free Thinker

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I did cut the date to '70 to avoid the derailing the next thread "modern jets" which would include the 15, 18, 22, Su-27 etc ... The harrier was a great find entering service just under the deadline in '69...

I think the harrier was revolutionary and the idea is still effecting current designs. I think that in terms of the block of time, I'm not sure if the revolutionary aspect of the Harrier is enough to push it past the flexability and longevity of the F-4. It was (arguably of course) the best pure air supremecy fighter in it's day and as the airframe aged, took on more attack and wild-weasels roles.

The time block is just massive. The F-86 during it's prime swept the Migs from the air. It's role over Korea cannot be overstated in proving that the leagions of Mig-17 were not as big a problem as they at first appeared.

The thunderchief is actually a fav of mine. The supersonic medium bomber had a good look about her with the internal bomb bay. And there are few planes during the times slot that could boost about more toughness.

Then we get the B-52 ... This plane first flew IN THE '50 and was still a factor 50+ years later in Iraq. That is a SERIOUS amount of longevity when you concider the it was built to face the Mig-17 and in Iraq was deployed against the inept forces in Iraq which included the Mig-29. It's even being talked about turning the stratofortress into a air supiriority weapons platform, loading it with as many long range air to air missiles it could carry and let a small number of F-22 Raptors guide all those air to air missiles to their targets ... Two Raptors and a B-52 in this configuation in a standoff position would carve whole squardrons of enemy aircraft from the sky.

As mush as my Naval heart wants me to vote for the Phantom, the B-52 has a sevice record that has no equal

7. mawlarky

mawlarky Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not sure if the B52 was all that, granted it did see a fair bit of active service but when compare to the Avro Vulcan it was and still is stone age as well as being not much quicker than the Russian "Bear", the Vulcan had a higher capacity in terms off useable bomb load and was a hell of a lot faster capable of reaching mach 1, though the Vulcans never saw any active combat bar the Falklands they were light years ahead of the B52 IMO.

8. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    didn't we just do this? :eusa_eh:

for me, F -105, the Thud.

9. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756