best M1911A1

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
anyone know the most reliable 9mm/.45 compact M1911A1 for CC?
I've researched it but there are so many different opinions

Those aren't CC guns.
Get a series 70 Commander and have some proper sights, trigger and barrel bushing/link fitted up. A gun show will probably have some "souped up" ones available.

Those aren't CC guns.
Get a series 70 Commander and have some proper sights, trigger and barrel bushing/link fitted up. A gun show will probably have some "souped up" ones available.
Bullshit. I carry the SA in an alien Gear holster and no one knows I have it.
I didn't say it WASN'T concealable. I can conceal my Redhawk too. My carry choice is a Charter Bulldog 44 sp

It's kind of strange that the U.S. Military abandoned the venerable 1911 semi-auto pistol for a foreign made 9mm while it seems that federal officers went to the 1911 pistol. NATO requirements dictated a universal pistol for NATO members but my guess is that the 90 pound female military recruits broke a nail every time they fired the big hard kicking .45 1911 pistol.

Those aren't CC guns.
I've fired the 1911A1 in the military, so I figured I'd be more comfortable with it

It's kind of strange that the U.S. Military abandoned the venerable 1911 semi-auto pistol for a foreign made 9mm while it seems that federal officers went to the 1911 pistol. NATO requirements dictated a universal pistol for NATO members but my guess is that the 90 pound female military recruits broke a nail every time they fired the big hard kicking .45 1911 pistol.
...I took my teen daughters to shoot at a range....they did say the 1911A1 might be to much for them.....I never thought of how much of a kick it had since I never had problems
...I took my wife one time and she's not big at all......it's been so long, but I thought we used the 1911A1 at that time..but she's stronger than she looks

I really like my 1911A, wouldn't trade it for anything, much less a 9mm... If I had one, that is...

I can't speak to compact models, sorry. Mine's a standard Colt... If I had one...

I really like my 1911A, wouldn't trade it for anything, much less a 9mm... If I had one, that is...

I can't speak to compact models, sorry. Mine's a standard Colt... If I had one...
yes, from what I'm reading some say the smaller-shorter action isn't ''good''
but then others say it's ok
I just want something reliable-compact 1911A1 that is
one of the compact 1911A1s has 2 recoil springs [ if I recall correctly ] instead of one--that I don't like .....

I have time on quite a few different handguns. Here is my assessment

The 1911A1 takes some range time to get really good with it. It's much more complicated than, say, the Glock or the Ruger. But it's also safer. It's less prone to just go off accidently. But it's also larger in .45 cal than the Glock in 9mm. The Glock 9mm is smaller and you can pick it up and be on target faster. meaning, your first shot will be more likely be on target faster.

My personal weapon fires a 45 ACP. I Prefer the 45 ACP but I am aware that it will never be a CC and know that I need to spend at least a little time on the range to be proficient with it on the first shot. I do know that a lighter person might have problems with it. I am a svelt and trim 260 lbs of lean bacon so I can handle just about anything out there. But even I don't care for the bruising that a 44 or a 41 mag gives my poor punkin arms. If I need something concealable in the over 40 cal range I believe one person came up with the best of the best and that was the 44 special bulldog 5 shot.

The 1911A1 takes some range time to get really good with it. It's much more complicated than, say, the Glock or the Ruger. But it's also safer. It's less prone to just go off accidently. But it's also larger in .45 cal than the Glock in 9mm. The Glock 9mm is smaller and you can pick it up and be on target faster. meaning, your first shot will be more likely be on target faster.

My personal weapon fires a 45 ACP. I Prefer the 45 ACP but I am aware that it will never be a CC and know that I need to spend at least a little time on the range to be proficient with it on the first shot. I do know that a lighter person might have problems with it. I am a svelt and trim 260 lbs of lean bacon so I can handle just about anything out there. But even I don't care for the bruising that a 44 or a 41 mag gives my poor punkin arms. If I need something concealable in the over 40 cal range I believe one person came up with the best of the best and that was the 44 special bulldog 5 shot.
A 1911 is much more complicated? 45 ACP never will be CC? wtf are you talking about?

Good God I hope you're wrong about the reason they're moving away from the 1911. I'm not an expert by a long shot, but I've put a few hundred rounds through a S&W M1911 and it didn't seem to kick much harder than my XD, which is basically a generic Glock. I figured it was probably due to the length and weight of the barrel counteracting the greater force of the .45 round, but holding it like an amateur and letting it fall back into place with every shot, it struck me as a similar amount of movement to my plastic 9mm. Anyone who can't handle that pistol is in NO shape to be a professional combatant. That's fuckin insane.

I carry my full size 1911 in this:

Alien-Gear-1.jpg

Very comfortable.

A 1911 is much more complicated? 45 ACP never will be CC? wtf are you talking about?

You with the lump in your pants, please sit back down :funnyface:

I carry my full size 1911 in this:

Alien-Gear-1.jpg

Very comfortable.
would you say the full size is ''almost'' as easy to CC as a compact?
do you conceal carry it?
..sorry all for my previous post about 2 springs....I probably meant one of the compacts has 2 retainers

Forum List

Back