Best Gunship

Best Attack Helicopter

• Agusta A129 Mangusta (Italy)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AH-64 Apache (United States)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Kamov Ka-52 Alligator (Russia)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat (United Kingdom)

• Eurocopter Tigre (European)

• CAIC WZ-10 (China)

• Bell AH-1Z Viper (United States)

• Mil Mi-28 (Russia)

• AgustaWestland T129 (Italy/Turkey)

• Denel Rooivak (South Africa)

• Total voters

Onyx

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2015
All heavy attack helicopters. I included the most prolific today. I excluded some gunships which are in limited service, being phased out, have specialty roles, ect.

I chose the Havoc gunship (Mil Mi-28) because it improved upon the legendary Mi-24 hind's attack capabilities in almost every way. It's fast and maneuverable. It is heavily armored and has an advanced electronic surveillance and targeting system. It is highly weather resilient and produces low noise for night operations. Furthermore, it has a 3 seat passenger compartment for transporting specialty units and rescue missions.

All heavy attack helicopters. I included the most prolific today. I excluded some gunships which are in limited service, being phased out, have specialty roles, ect.

The best, by far, is the AH 56 Cheyenne which lost out to the Apache for political reasons.

AH-56-Cheyenne-Airborne1.jpg

I chose the Havoc gunship (Mil Mi-28) because it improved upon the legendary Mi-24 hind's attack capabilities in almost every way. It's fast and maneuverable. It is heavily armored and has an advanced electronic surveillance and targeting system. It is highly weather resilient and produces low noise for night operations. Furthermore, it has a 3 seat passenger compartment for transporting specialty units and rescue missions.
Are you a Russian mole? Those copters are junk.

The Apache is the oldest helicopter on this list by the way.

The best, by far, is the AH 56 Cheyenne which lost out to the Apache for political reasons.

AH-56-Cheyenne-Airborne1.jpg

Holy shit! You are delusional with all this love for old ass machinery.

The performance characteristics of the Cheyenne STILL are better than any gunship out there. Add to it the modern avionics and weapons systems and you would have a world beater. The airframe was so significantly better than anything being produced today, that it is not funny. Old yes, but just like the SR-71 is still the most technologically advanced aircraft ever flown, the Cheyenne (also a Lockheed product) is likewise the most advance helicopter ever flown.

The problem you have is you are so young as to be ignorant of that which came before "your time". And many of those things that came before your time are better than that which exists now.

Last edited:
The problem you have is you are so young as to be ignorant of that which came before "your time". And many of those things that came before your time are better than that which exists now.

Nah old man, you are just ignorant to the ways military equipment has advanced past your time.

Nah old man, you are just ignorant to the ways military equipment has advanced past your time.

What advanced past the blackbird?

Ah, to revel in the ignorance and audacity of youth.

Last edited:

I had the K-52 Alligator on the poll. I didn't include the K-50 Black Shark since the Russian military uses 6x as many Alligators, and it would be redundant since the Ka-52 is essentially an improved version.

I agree with the power of the Ka-50 though. The Ka-50 Black Shark and Mi-24 Hind were the most intimidating gunships in the world when they were created, and their successors Ka-52 Alligator and Mi-28 Havoc are even more deadly.

Bear513 said:

Do you mean the MH-6 Little Bird? I don't know of any military helicopter designated 'blackbird.' .

I didn't include light attack helicopters. They don't meet the criteria for a gunship, and are mostly used for special tactical operations.

bodecea I thought it was pretty obvious that this was only talking about Rotorcraft Attack Helicopters, but maybe I should of been more clear.

Bear513 said:

Do you mean the MH-6 Little Bird? I don't know of any military helicopter designated 'blackbird.' .

I didn't include light attack helicopters. They don't meet the criteria for a gunship, and are mostly used for special tactical operations.

Westwall mentioned the SR-71 black bird in his post when talking Old Tech ...

Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

Forum List

Back