Best college basketball career of alltime!

Who had the best college basketball career of alltime?

• Lew Alcindor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill Walton

• Pete Maravich

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • other

• Total voters

Billo_Really

Litre of the Band
Aug 14, 2005
Long Beach, Ca
Who had the best college B-ball career of alltime?

1. Lew Alcindor
  2. Bill Walton
  3. Pete Maravich
My vote is with Maravich.

If there was a 3-point shot during his time at LSU, he would've averaged 57 points a game.

Last edited:
Alcindor/Jabbar was not only the best college player ever - but the best basketball player ever -period.

Won 3 titles at UCLA - would have been 4 if freshman had been eligable. The sky hook he developed after the dunk was outlawed remains to this day the most indefensible weapon in sports. Could score at will.

Walton had perhaps the most memorable game ever - when he made 21 of 22 FG attempts in the 1973 UCLA -Memphis St title game.

Pistol Pete won exactly zilch in his career at LSU.

Team Thermos

Lew Alcindor is too much of a celebrity. You really need to find someone who fits the team-spirit quality of college basketball.

If you look at the play of North Carolina's men's college basketball team, you see it favors individual achievement, while the play of their rival, Duke University, favors team-play. North Carolina has boasted incredible athletes such as Michael Jordan and Rasheed Wallace, but Duke's team efficiency has always made them a thorn in North Carolina's side. That really is the flavour of men's college basketball, which is why team-enforcing coaches such as Duke's Coach K and Indiana's Bob Knight are considered legends.

So I propose a very different kind of ranking, one that highlights the glory of team play.

1. Bobby Hurley -- Duke University
2. Calbert Cheaney -- Indiana University
3. Randolph Childress -- Wake Forest University
4. J.R. Henderson - UCLA

I remember the 1992 Final Four Semi-Final game in which Bobby Hurley's Duke squared off against Calber Cheaney's Indiana team, in what turned out to be a truly masterful performance by Hurley, cementing his position as arguably Duke's all-time greatest point-guard.

ncaa.jpg

Alcindor and Walton had great players around them which explains the lack of Maravich's LSU team success.
I would rank Bill Russell and Larry Bird as 1 and 2 because of what they accomplished without great teams around them. Bird's ISU team returned all four remaining starters the following season and lost their ensuing opener at home against a D-II school (Armstrong St) and finished with a .500 record in the MVC.

Forum List

Back