Best choice for a laptop?

As for the "crap basket" laptop, anyone who doesn't shop around is a fool, I can find a local one for $500 that's even better than the "crap basket" one you posted to. ;)

You're still using that pathetic crap Operating System from Microsoft, can't get around that, what a joke. Keep an IT on 24 hour call dumb ass..... but you saved 200 bucks over an Apple.......... you can take that and head over to shattered's hair and color butcher.:razz::lol::lol::lol: Windows fantwat.

My OS and hardware still shits on your tiny lil mac, fan boy. You see, thats the big difference between mac users and pcs users: I don't require a mac store to run crying to if my machine breaks. Instead, I am savvy enough to change my own oil, so to speak. Remember, we've already covered what kind of a pussy motherfucking apple biter it takes to pretend a 3 page wizard on an overpriced nugget of shit mac is a deal.

:thup:

Hell, when you are trying to pretend 10 year old specs are still valid i'll STILL be smacking the taste of Steve Job's balls out of your mouth with ANOTHER better priced pc than anything your silly little cult has to offer.

:rofl:

You stated the point Shotwat, I have never had a MAC break, never had a virus, never had a problem adding anything, it's called plug and play. Never had to ad a driver, never had a firewall or virus protection, never thought twice about opening an email......... Bill Gates loves you clone.:razz::lol::lol::lol:

and yet those lil mac tech at the lil mac stores get paid to do more than look like Justin Long!

:rofl:

and yea, I guess if you NEED a computing option that amounts to a sippy cup then i guess you would be content.

Tell me more about clones, lil mac fan boi. :thup:

Actually, you can buy the cheaper Microsucks computer then install Ubuntu over it for free ... if you're smart. ;)

meh.. some of us LIKE compatibility. I guess others have to feel like an outsider somehow..

*yawn*

and, perhaps you should mute the smart talk given what kind of crap basket laptop you gave your approval of above...

just a thought.

Linux is compatible with Microsucks and there is a lot more safe and virus free software available for free. ;)

you keep telling yourself that every time you find yourself scouring the net for drivers.

sometimes you get what you pay for (linux) and sometimes you don't (mac).

:eusa_angel:

As for the "crap basket" laptop, anyone who doesn't shop around is a fool, I can find a local one for $500 that's even better than the "crap basket" one you posted to. ;)

the difference being that this laptop isn't some local joby thrown together by some dude in a shop down behind the video store. This one can be found at Best Buys all across American.

I'd love to see you post the final price on your lauded craptop after comparable hardware is added....

:eusa_whistle:

meh.. some of us LIKE compatibility. I guess others have to feel like an outsider somehow..

*yawn*

and, perhaps you should mute the smart talk given what kind of crap basket laptop you gave your approval of above...

just a thought.

Linux is compatible with Microsucks and there is a lot more safe and virus free software available for free. ;)

you keep telling yourself that every time you find yourself scouring the net for drivers.

the difference being that this laptop isn't some local joby thrown together by some dude in a shop down behind the video store. This one can be found at Best Buys all across American.

I'd love to see you post the final price on your lauded craptop after comparable hardware is added....

First, we are working on remedying the problems as they come out with Linux, that's the point of having a community instead of one corporation in charge of it. With Ubuntu you don't have to scour the net, that's already done for you, Synaptic is where it's at.

Secondly, I wasn't talking about used computers, of which someone like me could get a much better one for even less. I am talking about local discounts, targeted sales, etc.. When you shop around in real life you can find much better deals than online. ;)

First, we are working on remedying the problems as they come out with Linux, that's the point of having a community instead of one corporation in charge of it. With Ubuntu you don't have to scour the net, that's already done for you, Synaptic is where it's at.

Secondly, I wasn't talking about used computers, of which someone like me could get a much better one for even less. I am talking about local discounts, targeted sales, etc.. When you shop around in real life you can find much better deals than online. ;)

hehehe.. no, you NEED a community because you don't have even the most basic support of commercial apps like windows. Hell, windows has a community too. I don't suppose you've looked around at all the windows apps readily available?

and, again, regarding the specs above.. humor me and post a final price on the laptop AFTER it's been upgraded to that of the Toshiba. this isn't an ad for Pricewatch dot com.

hehehe.. no, you NEED a community because you don't have even the most basic support of commercial apps like windows. Hell, windows has a community too. I don't suppose you've looked around at all the windows apps readily available?

and, again, regarding the specs above.. humor me and post a final price on the laptop AFTER it's been upgraded to that of the Toshiba. this isn't an ad for Pricewatch dot com.

I have other things to do today than go out looking at all the different stores for my humor. :doubt:

Now, as for your "support" ... have you tried contacting MS support for a software problem that they created? They don't answer or help, instead the advise you to spend money to upgrade. If you have a problem with Linux code you submit a ticket, go on a chat, or on any of the forums, within days you get a free update (typically depending on what it is) but at the very least us geeks will come up with a quick fix for you, as I had for JB and a few others who were playing with Ubuntu recently. I didn't have to scour anything, I knew where to look, because I am a geek and not a paid corporate lacky reading off a teleprompter. Your issue is you are just too damned scared to try it, so you mock it. I worked with Windoze, programmed several games for it (well, part of the games) and found little wrong with it ... until Bill turned the company over to the hands of the "butcher". ;)

yea, i kinda figured you'd waffle out. It's what trendy lil fan bois do when they are faced with more facts than the average mac commercial.

I'm not scared to try ubuntu. I just have no reason to pretend installing an OS makes me some kind of 133t hax0r. I've never had to call MS support. Hell, i used to rip 95-xp and distro iso's in order to keep from paying for the OS. I realize that having some kind of identity in a silly little community does wonders for the ego but the bottom line is this: if it WERE better it would HAVE broader usage. We don't have laserdisk and Betamax havens just because some thought that the format was better than DVDs and VHS. Your failure is that you think a team jersey is more important than actual performance. By luring people in with the idea of a free oS, NO LESS. sorry, I have electricity.. no need to install a wood burning stove. It's not fear, it's common sense. The kind of common sense that the REST OF US enjoy with our compatibilities and readily available drivers.

yea, i kinda figured you'd waffle out. It's what trendy lil fan bois do when they are faced with more facts than the average mac commercial.

I'm not scared to try ubuntu. I just have no reason to pretend installing an OS makes me some kind of 133t hax0r. I've never had to call MS support. Hell, i used to rip 95-xp and distro iso's in order to keep from paying for the OS. I realize that having some kind of identity in a silly little community does wonders for the ego but the bottom line is this: if it WERE better it would HAVE broader usage. We don't have laserdisk and Betamax havens just because some thought that the format was better than DVDs and VHS. Your failure is that you think a team jersey is more important than actual performance. By luring people in with the idea of a free oS, NO LESS. sorry, I have electricity.. no need to install a wood burning stove. It's not fear, it's common sense. The kind of common sense that the REST OF US enjoy with our compatibilities and readily available drivers.

Readily available drivers? :rofl: Tell me, can you use Mac hardware on your machine like I do mine?

Are you such a blind follower that you can't even consider one simple fact: They all have flaws and benefits, however, since you are getting yours for free, you won't get the few benefits Microsucks does actually offer. ;)

i just bought a dell studio and going forward i will always buy from dell, my original laptop was delivered about a month ago while i was out of town and my building security took delivery of it and placed it in the delivery storage room, i started wondering where my delivery was and when i checked with the building security it seems someone signed my name and stole the computer(most likely one of the guards) the building mgmt checked the security videos and of course found nothing so i was expecting to have to do a lot of running around making police reports and what not until i called dell and they said they would handle it and they sent me a replacement for the computer i ordered.

Readily available drivers? :rofl: Tell me, can you use Mac hardware on your machine like I do mine?

Are you such a blind follower that you can't even consider one simple fact: They all have flaws and benefits, however, since you are getting yours for free, you won't get the few benefits Microsucks does actually offer. ;)

a better question is, Why the fuck would I want to? hell, you can't name one mac app that wasn't immediately ported to windose machines while I can name a shit ton of apps that you'll never see without a fucking MS emulator.

This is a store bought laptop, koder. I stopped relying on ripped os's after college.

a better question is, Why the fuck would I want to? hell, you can't name one mac app that wasn't immediately ported to windose machines while I can name a shit ton of apps that you'll never see without a fucking MS emulator.

This is a store bought laptop, koder. I stopped relying on ripped os's after college.

Try running Blender. ;)

Try running Blender. ;)

why? I've got no less than a half a dozen Ms options that are equal to, if not MORE, powerful. Shall I start naming them?

Try running Blender. ;)

why? I've got no less than a half a dozen Ms options that are equal to, if not MORE, powerful. Shall I start naming them?

:eusa_eh: You don't even know what app that is, do you?

Oh, and Wine is not an emulator.

What is Wine?

A:Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use native system DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

WineHQ - Application Database FAQ

em·u·late (my-lt)
tr.v. em·u·lat·ed, em·u·lat·ing, em·u·lates
1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.
2. To compete with successfully; approach or attain equality with.
3. Computer Science To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.
Emulator - definition of Emulator by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

:lol:

What is Wine?

A:Think of Wine as a Windows compatibility layer. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely alternative implementation consisting of 100% Microsoft-free code, but it can optionally use native system DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit (Winelib) for porting Windows sources to Unix and a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows binaries to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris.

em·u·late (my-lt)
1. To strive to equal or excel, especially through imitation: an older pupil whose accomplishments and style I emulated.
3. Computer Science To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.
Emulator - definition of Emulator by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

You know too little of how computers and OSes work ... but this will still be fun.

Windoze wasn't originally an OS, it was a wrapper for MS-DOS. When they integrated MS-DOS into Windoze they did not actually make Windoze a full fledged OS, it still has to run the actual OS in the background while wrapping. The same way Ubuntu works with Linux, Ubuntu however uses a very common set of libraries that are cross compatible instead of a restricted and defunct desktop package (Windoze). Ubuntu is an integration of the Linux OS and these libraries allowing you to run just about anything, while Windoze is one library and MS-DOS tucked neatly into it. Wine is actually another library, one that can run Windoze GUI's, the actual apps themselves still require the DLL's, which Linux doesn't have a problem with it's native code because instead of DLL's they have libraries and the actual apps are compiled on install, ensuring compatibility with your hardware and decreasing the amount of software you have to install. Now, that's a simplified explanation, but I hope it didn't hurt too much. Wine is not an emulator, Linux doesn't actually have emulators like Windoze needs. ;)

What is Wine?

em·u·late (my-lt)

You know too little of how computers and OSes work ... but this will still be fun.

Windoze wasn't originally an OS, it was a wrapper for MS-DOS. When they integrated MS-DOS into Windoze they did not actually make Windoze a full fledged OS, it still has to run the actual OS in the background while wrapping. The same way Ubuntu works with Linux, Ubuntu however uses a very common set of libraries that are cross compatible instead of a restricted and defunct desktop package (Windoze). Ubuntu is an integration of the Linux OS and these libraries allowing you to run just about anything, while Windoze is one library and MS-DOS tucked neatly into it. Wine is actually another library, one that can run Windoze GUI's, the actual apps themselves still require the DLL's, which Linux doesn't have a problem with it's native code because instead of DLL's they have libraries and the actual apps are compiled on install, ensuring compatibility with your hardware and decreasing the amount of software you have to install. Now, that's a simplified explanation, but I hope it didn't hurt too much. Wine is not an emulator, Linux doesn't actually have emulators like Windoze needs. ;)

HA! yea, I guess you can CLAIM as much but it's less than impressive when I'm the one posting the evidence.

:thup:

spare me the os lesson, koder. I was out typing autoexec.bat files when you were still learning to type.

:eusa_eh: You don't even know what app that is, do you?

*yawn*

it's an application used for creating 3d animations. Now, do you REALLY want to see a list of windows apps? Starting with 3d studio max and ending with Lightwave?

:rofl: You think those are better than Blender ... so sad, so sad. Blender is a lot more than just "an application for creating 3d animations" ... but you'd know that if you ran it. Oh wait, you'd have to close almost everything you have in memory when you do run it or you will crash. ;) But then, I don't have 3 years for you to finally grasp the extent of what Blender is, so meh. Regardless, that wasn't even my point. Blender is compiled for the three major OSes, Linux/Unix, Windoze, and Mac. However, the GUI library it uses only gives about 50% functionality in Windoze, because Windoze is extremely behind in widget code (not a problem at all with Gnome/KDE powered OSes).

Forum List

Back