Best browser for Win7

Avast has some serious issues on Windows 7 x64. My boot went from less than 3 minutes to almost 10.

Avast is a serious resource hog.

But even a 3 minute boot concerns me. I have an SSD, admittedly, but boot time is well under a minute. Vista was sluggish on boot, but Windows 7 is currently the fastest booting OS I use. (Out of Mint, Ubuntu, and Windows.)

I'm assuming he's using the full Avast suite. I run the free version of Avast on all my Windows system and it doesn't affect my boot up at all.

Nope, the free one. I did some research and discovered it is a problem that doesn't always manifest. I love Avast, and really hated to take it off, but it is incompatible with something on my computer, and I thought it was easier to switch to MSSE than figure it out.

Avast is a serious resource hog.

But even a 3 minute boot concerns me. I have an SSD, admittedly, but boot time is well under a minute. Vista was sluggish on boot, but Windows 7 is currently the fastest booting OS I use. (Out of Mint, Ubuntu, and Windows.)

I'm assuming he's using the full Avast suite. I run the free version of Avast on all my Windows system and it doesn't affect my boot up at all.

Nope, the free one. I did some research and discovered it is a problem that doesn't always manifest. I love Avast, and really hated to take it off, but it is incompatible with something on my computer, and I thought it was easier to switch to MSSE than figure it out.

See, that's what ya get for using "something" on your computer....... :D

See, that's what ya get for using "something" on your computer....... :D

:razz:

AMD Phenom II x 2 550, 33GHz
NVidia GeForce GT 220 (1GHz)
OCZ 8GB DDR2 PC2 6400

It's not that it was choppy or slow, it's that it wouldn't let me do things like pick up weapons and ammo.

ARMA is a hyper-realistic simulation, it's not COD by any stretch of the imagination. "Looting" isn't part of the game. The weapons you carry are what you can use. If you need ammo, you have to call support to get it.

It could be that it was working fine, but your expectations didn't match what the game is about? It's mostly squad tactics. Generally, you won't fire a lot of rounds since it is "one shot kills," in both directions.

I have a system restore disk that I keep up to date, including all drivers and windows updates. Couple that with the built in HP Recovery, and it takes very little time. I actually expected it to take longer myself, I came back and it was waiting for me.

That's different, though. I have several images I made with Acronis for various classes of machines. These I can put on a machine in just about 8 minutes, which includes Office, SQL connections and the ERP.

But using the Windows DVD from a blank drive takes awhile. I will alter my earlier statement, my main builder said that it's about an hour from out of the box to running, including Office, SQL native client, and the ERP. So I am adding some installs over and above Windows in my estimate.

AMD Phenom II x 2 550, 33GHz
NVidia GeForce GT 220 (1GHz)
OCZ 8GB DDR2 PC2 6400

It's not that it was choppy or slow, it's that it wouldn't let me do things like pick up weapons and ammo.

ARMA is a hyper-realistic simulation, it's not COD by any stretch of the imagination. "Looting" isn't part of the game. The weapons you carry are what you can use. If you need ammo, you have to call support to get it.

It could be that it was working fine, but your expectations didn't match what the game is about? It's mostly squad tactics. Generally, you won't fire a lot of rounds since it is "one shot kills," in both directions.

It wasn't "looting", it was always during the "training" sequence where it tells you to get ammo from a box or pick up a specific weapon. It wouldn't let me and I never got past that point.

It wasn't "looting", it was always during the "training" sequence where it tells you to get ammo from a box or pick up a specific weapon. It wouldn't let me and I never got past that point.

Now that you mention it, I remember that. It was under a canopy and wouldn't let me pick it up either, there was some sort of trick, I don't remember what it was.

Forum List

Back