Best breakfast in a while

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
Last night I started a crock pot with pinto beans after rinsing and soaking them for close to 2 hours. This morning I baked two pans of cornbread and when it was done cut me a big piece lathered in butter and put a smaller piece in a bowl and covered it with beans and bean juice. That stuff was good!

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients. Mix until blended.
Turn into two greased cake pans
Cook at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes

Last edited:
Sometime instead of pintos, bake up a crock of Marafax, Jacobs Cattle, King of the Early, or Yellow Eye.
THEN you've got something worth spreading on your cornbread.

Last night I started a crock pot with pinto beans after rinsing and soaking them for close to 2 hours. This morning I baked two pans of cornbread and when it was done cut me a big piece lathered in butter and put a smaller piece in a bowl and covered it with beans and bean juice. That stuff was good!

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

Cock at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes

Try that same recipe in a greased preheated cast iron skillet.
You'll thank me.

• Banned

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

You'll thank me.
One question though:

If I use Betty Botters bitter butter
It would make my batter bitter.
But a bit of better butter,
That would make my batter better. Right?

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

You'll thank me.
One question though:

Absolutely.

• Banned

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

You'll thank me.
One question though:

Absolutely.
Thank you.

Taint' no good without fried taters and jalapenos in the cornbread, and don't forget da ketchup and raw onion slices...and cooked spinach with apple cider vinegar..

Taint' no good without fried taters and jalapenos in the cornbread, and don't forget da ketchup and raw onion slices...and cooked spinach with apple cider..
I wanted plain CB with beans.

I don't like sweet corn bread... it's just wrong wrong wrong...

my southern cornbread recipe has no sugar, only 2 tablespoons of flour to the 2 cups of cornmeal, and 2 cups of Buttermilk, not regular milk...

And it is delicious!

Goes great with bean soups and also with greens, like collard greens, or mustard greens

and most importantly, in my stuffing for Turkey... half corn bread and half any other type bread, like white or Italian bread.

my southern cornbread recipe has no sugar, only 2 tablespoons of flour to the 2 cups of cornmeal, and 2 cups of Buttermilk, not regular milk...

And it is delicious!

Goes great with bean soups and also with greens, like collard greens, or mustard greens

and most importantly, in my stuffing for Turkey... half corn bread and half any other type bread, like white or Italian bread.
Then I thread ban you for that!

And it is delicious!

Then I thread ban you for that!
:rofl::rofl:

if you don't have buttermilk onhand, you can add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the milk and in about 15 minutes, it becomes like buttermilk with the sour bite and thicker....

And it is delicious!

Love good solid not sweet corn bread. It's great split and toasted under the broiler with some butter the next morning, too.

Taint' no good without fried taters and jalapenos in the cornbread, and don't forget da ketchup and raw onion slices...and cooked spinach with apple cider vinegar..
I draw the line at spinach for breakfast.

And it is delicious!

You add eggs?

And it is delicious!

You add eggs?
yes, and baking powder or maybe it is baking soda? and salt...

I don't have the recipe in front of me for the exact ingredients and measurements.... It's my southern, (Alabamian) grandmother's recipe which was her grandmother's recipe... been around for quite a while in my family... we all use the same recipe.... 3rd cousins and all.... it really is good!

Forum List

Back