Best Book-to-Movie Adaptation

I think the three best book to film adaptations are of Stephen King novels...

Stand By Me (from The Body)
The Shawshank Redemption (from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption)
The Green Mile

I didn't like the film, Sophie's Choice. Meryl Streep didn't look like what Sophie looked like in the book. (well, in my head, anyway).

All good choices so far.

I'd probably have to go with LotR. I actually didn't care too much for the books.

Shawshank is probably the best movie made from a book I can think of, but I enjoyed the book as well, so the disparity is less.

I'm going with "Airport". Old, old movie but of the timeless variety. The plot, character development, humor and drama closely followed Arthur Hailey's vision.

Though I may lose man points for this one, I'd have to say Memoirs of a Geisha. The director and screen writers kept pretty close to the book.

The Old Testament into "The Ten Commandments".

It was so good, people actually think it was historically acurate. It wasn't even close, but that's not important.

Now to expose my vast amounts of nerd cred

Spiderman and the 3rd version of The Punisher.

worste; Dungeons and Dragons. They tried to follow the game rules and failed, miserably.

I think the three best book to film adaptations are of Stephen King novels...

Stand By Me (from The Body)
The Shawshank Redemption (from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption)
The Green Mile

I didn't like the film, Sophie's Choice. Meryl Streep didn't look like what Sophie looked like in the book. (well, in my head, anyway).

I agree. All three movies were much better than what king wrote and proved that King drama translates better than King horror

Quo Vadis
Ben Hur
Gone With The Wind

And I adored The Golden Compass. It's too bad the sequels were cancelled.

Last edited:
Godfather I and II. The book was really both of those films, but it was so layered they had to make two movies to cover it.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Gregory Peck IS Atticus Finch

Last edited:
It's not technically a book to movie, but the miniseries of "I Claudius" is also a fabulous adaptation - and one of the best ensemble casts ever.

Forum List

Back