Best Antivirus Program?

I just cleaned Norton anti virus off my second computer, and installed the free version of AVG anti virus.
AVG found two problems that Norton had not found, and one of them was a Trojan horse.

I've been using it for years now, and I haven't had any problems. also, there is malware that can make assertions into the registry. it's usually a good thing to get rid of those.
The tools find registry errors even directly after a fresh setup and if you have "cleaned" your registry, do a scan with another tool and see how many errors that one finds, and so on.
It keeps my PC running like a champ. That's all I care about.

"It keeps my PC running like a champ. That's all I care about."-Mr.Right

That's all you care about? You don't care about the National Debt? The plight of the Middle Class? The threat of ISIS and al Qaeda? :ack-1:

Why do you hate America? :disbelief:
I've been using it for years now, and I haven't had any problems. also, there is malware that can make assertions into the registry. it's usually a good thing to get rid of those.
The tools find registry errors even directly after a fresh setup and if you have "cleaned" your registry, do a scan with another tool and see how many errors that one finds, and so on.
You think it does.
I know it does. It's been running without any problems for over two years now.
Sure, it would not run fine without registry tweaks?
People are constantly adding programs and deleting them. This leaves registry fragments. Your PC is also making changes to the regisyry, just from normal everyday operations. Whenever you tell your computer to do something, the first thing it does is check the regisyry for the information it needs. Eventually, without proper maintenence, the PC takes longer to find what it needs. What this program does is clean the registry fragments, and rearranges the information for faster access. It also removers anything put there by malware programs. But even if you don't feel that registry maintenence is necessary, the other tools of advanced system care are definitely worth having.

My ISP, Cox Cable, gives me McAfee as part of the service and I am quite happy with it,. I get frequent updates and it gives me a search feature that warns me of any sites that might provide problems,.

Of course, the best anti virus program is between your ears! Just don't visit sites that are most likely prone to bad stuff.

You aren't experiencing the Chinese writing that comes with McAfee's Site Advisor? The lettering is from some schools in China. Buyer beware. Ringel05 pointed it out to me, then I uninstalled Site Advisor and presto, no more Chinese writing hanging around the tabs at the top of pages. However, when McAfee did some updates recently, it came back so I found McAfee had downloaded Site Advisor, then I uninstalled and no more Chinese writing.

McAfee came pre-installed for a 30 day trial, with my most recent PC, then I went ahead and paid $39.95 for the year and when that ends, I am going back to Norton. In 15 years, I never had any problems with Norton. I know it's a hog, but I trust it. It's less of a hog than it used to be.

When that time comes though, I will research the top ten anti-virus programs and if Norton isn't on any list, I will go with what is recommended by the majority of tech sites.
i had mcafee.....on my first computer....my son worked at Blizzard entertainment, he said lots of the techs use NOD32.....its real light weight....so after booting McAfee and installed NOD ....there were 9 viruses detected!!....9!....after NOD cleaned them my computer was running like it was brand new.....McAfee did not look to good to me after that....

That's all you care about? You don't care about the National Debt? The plight of the Middle Class? The threat of ISIS and al Qaeda? :ack-1:

You think it does.
People are constantly adding programs and deleting them. This leaves registry fragments. Your PC is also making changes to the regisyry, just from normal everyday operations. Whenever you tell your computer to do something, the first thing it does is check the regisyry for the information it needs. Eventually, without proper maintenence, the PC takes longer to find what it needs. What this program does is clean the registry fragments, and rearranges the information for faster access. It also removers anything put there by malware programs. But even if you don't feel that registry maintenence is necessary, the other tools of advanced system care are definitely worth having.
My Win8.1 registry is 240 MB large and is loaded in the Ram that provides a bandwidth of about 6 GB per second. Now, your tool has deleted about 50 out of hundreds of thousands of entries. If your tool would have an impact on the PC´s performance, how many milliseconds would it save you? And how would it determine what is an malicious entry? The registry is fast and does not need to be optimized. "Tuning tools" are scam. CCleaner deleted most of my savegames as "unknown file types"....

You can read here about such "tweaks":
Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths

My ISP, Cox Cable, gives me McAfee as part of the service and I am quite happy with it,. I get frequent updates and it gives me a search feature that warns me of any sites that might provide problems,.

Of course, the best anti virus program is between your ears! Just don't visit sites that are most likely prone to bad stuff.

You aren't experiencing the Chinese writing that comes with McAfee's Site Advisor? The lettering is from some schools in China. Buyer beware. Ringel05 pointed it out to me, then I uninstalled Site Advisor and presto, no more Chinese writing hanging around the tabs at the top of pages. However, when McAfee did some updates recently, it came back so I found McAfee had downloaded Site Advisor, then I uninstalled and no more Chinese writing.

McAfee came pre-installed for a 30 day trial, with my most recent PC, then I went ahead and paid $39.95 for the year and when that ends, I am going back to Norton. In 15 years, I never had any problems with Norton. I know it's a hog, but I trust it. It's less of a hog than it used to be.

When that time comes though, I will research the top ten anti-virus programs and if Norton isn't on any list, I will go with what is recommended by the majority of tech sites.
i had mcafee.....on my first computer....my son worked at Blizzard entertainment, he said lots of the techs use NOD32.....its real light weight....so after booting McAfee and installed NOD ....there were 9 viruses detected!!....9!....after NOD cleaned them my computer was running like it was brand new.....McAfee did not look to good to me after that....
I would check back all alerts with virustotal.com (belongs to google). It provides all the av-tools and you can see which tools detect something and which not. AV-Tools often produce false alerts, in addition.
False positives render security software effectively useless - Best VPN.com

Last edited:

You think it does.
My Win8.1 registry is 240 MB large and is loaded in the Ram that provides a bandwidth of about 6 GB per second. Now, your tool has deleted about 50 out of hundreds of thousands of entries. If your tool would have an impact on the PC´s performance, how many milliseconds would it save you? And how would it determine what is an malicious entry? The registry is fast and does not need to be optimized. "Tuning tools" are scam. CCleaner deleted most of my savegames as "unknown file types"....

Like I said, I've been using it for years, and I've noticed a huge difference in how my PC opetates. You can't argue with results.

You think it does.

Like I said, I've been using it for years, and I've noticed a huge difference in how my PC opetates. You can't argue with results.
You heard the advices :)

I'm interested in results. Not advice. This collection of tools have served me well. That's all I care about.

I'm interested in results. Not advice. This collection of tools have served me well. That's all I care about.
They all are so happy with their 0% performance boost except for the 5 % whose computers were harmed...

Forum List

Back