Best and Worst US Presidents

Discussion in 'Education' started by onedomino, May 11, 2007.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Name, if you’d like, the three best (or favorite) Presidents, and the three worst Presidents. My choices:

Best:
    Abraham Lincoln - a true genius, saved America.
    George Washington - could have been King, yet preserved the Republic and transferred power.
    Franklin Roosevelt - lifted America from the Depression, defeated the Nazis and Japanese and saved the World.
    Honorable mention: Ronald Reagan - helped nail the coffin of the Soviet Union shut. Knew we were the “last best hope.”

Worst:
    Andrew Johnson - racist oppressor of the South after the Civil War.
    Lyndon Johnson - created the ill-conceived “Great Society” program, micro-managed Viet Nam causing defeat.
    Richard Nixon - continued Johnson’s tactics of defeat in Viet Nam, lied and covered it up, resigned in disgrace.
    Dishonorable mention: George Bush 43 - blew 500 billion, disregarded the advice of his generals, delivered no viable energy policy when it was desperately needed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    My choices:

Best:
    Abraham Lincoln kept the Union together.
    George Washington established precedents that have served the country well, especially his advice on foreign entanglements; lasted through WWI.
    Andrew Jackson was both one of the best and worst, much like Nixon. He truly represented the power and determination of what it meant to be an American. His treatment of Native Americans and the Bank were deplorable.
    Honorable mention: Ronald Reagan - help nail the coffin of the Soviet Union shut. Knew we were the “last best hope.”

Worst:
    Jimmy Carter made a mockery of the Presidency. From sweaters to the helicopter debacle.
    JFK might have been better in a second term, then maybe not as the drug use may have taken a toll. It was he that set the stage for what LBJ did, only revisionists via Camelot believe he was going to take the US out. The Cuban Missile Crisis was a result of his mishandling of the Bay of Pigs.
    Woodrow Wilson his own hubris caused him to entangle the US in WWI; deny what was written on the wall regarding both the European machinations resulting in the terms of the Treaty of Versailles; his inability to get it and the League of Nations approved by the Senate, which probably led to his stroke.

Dishonorable mention: George Bush 43 - blew 500 billion, disregarded the advice of his generals, delivered no viable energy policy when it was desperately needed.[/QUOTE]

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    You are right about Carter. It was hard to keep him off my worst list. Of all the bad US Presidents, I think that Andrew Johnson was the only one who was deliberately malicious. That’s why I ranked him number one on the worst list.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Personally, I think A. Johnson has been maligned in many ways. Result of Republicans and Democrats really not understanding him. Republicans most of all. (I know, heresy and all that.)

5. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I do have to disagree with the Reagan mention. He had a very small role in the Soviet collapse. He gave America a smooth, soothing appeal. But I don't know what he actually did that makes him so honorable.

Also, I would take LBJ off the worst list. Yes, he did screw up Vietnam, but his contributions to civil rights are overlooked too often.

And I just love Andrew Jackson because he was fucking nuts.

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Yes, Reagan is questionable. That's why I did not list him in the top three. But I think his role in bringing down the Soviets was substantial. The Soviet defeat in Afghanistan was a major element in the collapse, and Reagan helped engineer that. Although the blow-back has been something from a horror movie. There was a line from a film about terrorists, wherein a US military guy looks up exasperated and says, "God, I miss the cold war." Sometimes I understand that sentiment exactly. Further, Reagan spent the Soviets into the dirt. His military buildup, after the Carter decline, led the Soviets to try to keep pace and that accelerated the end game.

LBJ did salvage some decent opinion of his Presidency with his campaign for civil rights. But his massive blunders in SE Asia, the failure of his will to win and setting the stage for defeat, ultimately cleared the way for millions of innocent deaths in Cambodia and Viet Nam. This may well be happening again in Iraq.

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I have to disagree with the notion that Reagan played a "substantial" role. Generally, this is the conservative fantasy that has been promulgated for years. Yes, the US did play a role in Afghanistan that undermined the Soviets, but to imply that that was one of the overriding factors that brought down the USSR is wrong (to me). The secession of most of Eastern Europe, which was plagued by labor exploitation, intense censorship, and incessant Leninst rhetoric, was a huge blow to the USSR. It was Gorbachev who absolutely refused to use military force to reel these states back into the Soviet orbit. He could've done so like Khruschev did during the Prague Spring (which he literally put down in two weeks).

Ultimately, Reagan did, shrewdly, attempt to outpace the Soviets technologically and, consequently, financially. But Gorbachev knew all along that he could not keep up and really wasn't trying to at the end. It was Gorbachev who brought communism in the Soviet Union once he introduced Glasnost and Perestroika. Both of which were inevitable with or without Reagan.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I disagree with everyone on your "worst" list.

Andrew Johnson was NOT a racist oppressor of the South. He tried to carry out Lincoln's plan of reconciliation. Radical Northern Congressmen and power brokers who hadn't yet had their bloodlust quenched impeached him for it and it was THEY who installed the authoritarian and punitive Reconstruction on the South.

Lyndon Johnson did more for the cause of Civil Rights and racial equality than ANY other President in US history. It's a shame his inheritance and mismanagement of Vietnam completely overshadows it.

Nixon got us out of Vietnam by forcing the Vietnamese to the table. He basically bombed them into submission. He hardly continued Johnson's policies in Vietnam. Had he not been a paranoiac and gotten caught up in Watergate, he could arguably be one of the BEST Presidents in US history.

Bush 43, handled an oncoming recession brought on by 8 years of Clinton's taxing us to death. He handled 9/11 as good as ANYONE could. His policies have kept our economy out of the basmement for 6+ years.

He was stuck with the Iraq situation because it was not handled when it should have been by his predecessor.

I just have to wonder where you got your idea of history from, but then, I recall you DO live in the land of fruits and nuts.;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Fruits and nuts?

Your military career taught you plenty about intimidation but you never learned a thing about history. But, I admit that you got some of it fairly close.

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    Worst Presidents

Clinton... The most corrupt person we have ever had in office. He did more than anyone else to shred the image of what a President is.

Carter.... An amiable idiot that got elected because no one knew him.

Franklin D. Roosevelt .... He sold out eastern Europe and Nationalist China, setting the Stage for the cold war and Korea.

The Best Presidents

George Washington.... he set the example and refused the attempt to crown him King.

Abraham Lincoln..... He saved the Union.

After those two it is a long drop to anyone in third place.

Maybe Wilson for how he handled our involvement and initial lack of involvement in WWI, but I don't know enough about his other policies to say.