Best "2 minute drill" quarterback of all-time!

Who's the best "2 minute drill" quarterback of all-time!

• Johnny Unitus

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Ken Stabler

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Elway

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Joe Montana

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Roger Staughbach

• Payton Manning

• Terry Bradshaw

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Otto Grahem

• Brett Farve

• other

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
Why do you need other people on a list with Joe Montana?

I hate to admit it but I loved to watch Montana play. My Seahawks were still in the AFC so there was no conflict. BUT... as good as Montana was on a few occasions I honestly feel he was over rated to some extent. I understand Montana had some well publicised and exciting to witness drives but Steve Young was a better passer and runner. SF didn't get much respect before Montana's era and he "broke the ice" puttin SF on the NFL map.

OK "lucky Joe" won four measly Super Bowls. BUT Steve Young "had the highest passer rating among NFL quarterbacks who have thrown at least 1,500 passing attempts (96.8), and is currently ranked third. He is also still ranked highest amongst retired players. Young also won a record six NFL passing titles." (courtesy of Wiki)

Last edited:

I hate to admit it but I loved to watch Montana play. My Seahawks were still in the AFC so there was no conflict. BUT... as good as Montana was on a few occasions I honestly feel he was over rated to some extent. I understand Montana had some well publicised and exciting to witness drives but Steve Young was a better passer and runner. SF didn't get much respect before Montana's era and he "broke the ice" puttin SF on the NFL map.

OK "lucky Joe" won four measly Super Bowls. BUT Steve Young "had the highest passer rating among NFL quarterbacks who have thrown at least 1,500 passing attempts (96.8), and is currently ranked third. He is also still ranked highest amongst retired players. Young also won a record six NFL passing titles." (courtesy of Wiki)

I was never a real SF fan, but you have to admire a guy at the top of his game. It was like watching Gretzky with the puck

I was never a real SF fan, but you have to admire a guy at the top of his game. It was like watching Gretzky with the puck

WTF?????????? HOCKEY????????????????? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seahawks have a new way of looking at the two minute drill. We kneel and run off the clock.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdhKyIEQpM]The Heavy - How You Like Me Now (Lyrics and Song) - YouTube[/ame]

Anybody believe SF is the best team in the NFL anymore?

Pats shmats we beat em too.

For peak value I will go with George Blanda 1970, and he was like 75 years old at the time...

Thats all an impressive list so its not easy to choose but I would say the top 3 are
1.Johnny Unitas.
2.followed closely by Joe Montana.
3.John Elway.

and as someone else mentioned,for current ones,Eli.

Brian Sipe and the "cardiac kids" sure made the last two minutes of a game exciting.

Dan Marino? Record 36 fourth quarter comebacks? Didn't even make the list?
:confused:

Marino played 17 years. That's slightly more than twice a season. I'm curious how many 2 minute drills he blew. There are several QBs this season that have more than 4... One rookie, Luck has 6.

Marino is the poster boy for putting up record passing yardage without winning.

Brian Sipe and the "cardiac kids" sure made the last two minutes of a game exciting.

I'm pretty sure what happens on the practice field doesn't count. Name one great team Sipe beat on a dazzling two minute drill.

I don't know, the 79/80 seasons had some pretty amazing games for the Browns with so many decided in the last seconds. Whatever the talent of the teams they played, Snip lead eight comebacks and eleven game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime. I think that qualifies for consideration as the best 2 minute drill QB.

This is subjective after all...

Marino played 17 years. That's slightly more than twice a season. I'm curious how many 2 minute drills he blew. There are several QBs this season that have more than 4... One rookie, Luck has 6.

Who on the list had a significantly shorter career that would have translated into breaking that record? All of them played for over a decade, and most for 15+ years. Marino is third on the list of most wins by a starting quarterback with 147 (behind Favre and Elway), had a .613 W-L percentage, and reached the playoffs in 10 of his 17 years. Seems like he won quite a bit; sadly was never able to win the big one.

For the record, Peyton Manning apparently has broken the 4th quarter comeback record (now at 38).

Who's the best "2 minute drill" quarterback of all-time!
No doubt about for me, it was Dan Marino playing for Don Shula.
With that combination I never felt we were out of a ball game.

Who on the list had a significantly shorter career that would have translated into breaking that record? All of them played for over a decade, and most for 15+ years. Marino is third on the list of most wins by a starting quarterback with 147 (behind Favre and Elway), had a .613 W-L percentage, and reached the playoffs in 10 of his 17 years. Seems like he won quite a bit; sadly was never able to win the big one.

For the record, Peyton Manning apparently has broken the 4th quarter comeback record (now at 38).

Sadly for Wilson if the Seahawks keep breaking ahead 3-4 TDs before their opponents get going, he will never enjoy that record.

Who's the best quarterbach of alltime to run the "2 minute drill" (last 2 minutes of the game)?
  1. Johnny Unitus
  2. Ken Stabler
  3. John Elway
  4. Joe Montana
  5. Roger Staughbach
  6. Payton Manning
  7. Terry Bradshaw
  8. Otto Graham
  9. Brett Farve
  10. ____________ (fill in the blank)
Okay guys, you're down by 4 with two minutes to go and the ball on your 10 yard line....

....who do you give the ball to?

Montana. But if one counts kicking and throwing, George Blanda.

Forum List

Back