CDZ Bereaved parents to be entitled to two weeks' paid leave from work

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Bereaved parents to be entitled to two weeks' paid leave from work

Working parents who suffer the loss of a child will now be entitled to two weeks of statutory paid leave, the government has announced.

Ministers have said the new legal right, known as Jack’s law, is the most generous parental bereavement pay offer in the world and will support 10,000 families a year in the UK.

Expected to come into force from April, it will cover all working parents who lose a child under the age of 18 or have a stillbirth, irrespective of how long an individual has been with their current employer.

I would think that the more advanced employers would offer this anyway.

I have no idea how I would cope in this situation but I dont think work would be uppermost in my thoughts. Should other measures be added to this ?

Working parents who suffer the loss of a child will now be entitled to two weeks of statutory paid leave, the government has announced.

Ministers have said the new legal right, known as Jack’s law, is the most generous parental bereavement pay offer in the world and will support 10,000 families a year in the UK.

Expected to come into force from April, it will cover all working parents who lose a child under the age of 18 or have a stillbirth, irrespective of how long an individual has been with their current employer.

I have no idea how I would cope in this situation but I dont think work would be uppermost in my thoughts. Should other measures be added to this ?

considering how bad the UK healthcare system is its almost like a payoff for them causing the death of a child

So, if the child is over 18 it doesn't hurt as bad? Dumb, really dumb.

It took my wife a month and they paid her. I was off two months.

Good for old England.. Keep up the great work...

I've got to tell ya tho -- from sad personal experiences, that where you NEED "grievance pay" is losing a spouse or a parent.. Because it's ridiculously easy to bury and mourn a child compared to the LOSS of support from a spouse OR the govt/corporate hassles of handling estate matters, relocating and caring for a surviving parent.. This process approaches a FULL TIME JOB for MONTHS....

So expect ye Jolly Olde Taxes to go up, excuses to made and some embarrassment as your lemming leadership figures out they've open another hole in hull of the HMS Progressive.. And soon any citizen with a dead pet is included...

I've got to tell ya tho -- from sad personal experiences, that where you NEED "grievance pay" is losing a spouse or a parent.. Because it's ridiculously easy to bury and mourn a child compared to the LOSS of support from a spouse OR the govt/corporate hassles of handling estate matters, relocating and caring for a surviving parent.. This process approaches a FULL TIME JOB for MONTHS....

So expect ye Jolly Olde Taxes to go up, excuses to made and some embarrassment as your lemming leadership figures out they've open another hole in hull of the HMS Progressive.. And soon any citizen with a dead pet is included...
Well I dont see the connection between a dead dog and a dead child.
But this is not paid for by taxation so I think you might be confused. Going back 10 years or so my last employer gave me a weeks bereavement leave in my contract. This is ensuring that all employees enjoy the same treatment.

But this is not paid for by taxation so I think you might be confused. Going back 10 years or so my last employer gave me a weeks bereavement leave in my contract. This is ensuring that all employees enjoy the same treatment.

It isn’t free, someone does pay and it is forced. More government less freedom.

Its paid for by employers from cash generated by the staff they are looking after. Where is the problem ? It doesnt seem to be any different to the health insurance that your employers offer to their workers.

Its paid for by employers from cash generated by the staff they are looking after. Where is the problem ? It doesnt seem to be any different to the health insurance that your employers offer to their workers.

THE DIFFERENCE IS YOURS REQUIRES FORCE AND OURS IS VOLUNTARY,,,

The problem becomes is it adds another cost to having a person working for you, and an unpredictable cost at that. Then progressives come up with more and more things employers have to subsidize, maternity leave, paternity leave, other forms of leave, forms of insurance, etc, and sooner or later costs go up, or they will be forced to get more work out of less people.

Employers dont give anything voluntarily.

The problem becomes is it adds another cost to having a person working for you, and an unpredictable cost at that. Then progressives come up with more and more things employers have to subsidize, maternity leave, paternity leave, other forms of leave, forms of insurance, etc, and sooner or later costs go up, or they will be forced to get more work out of less people.
Our employers dont have to provide expensive health insurance for employees. What a racket that is.

Employers dont give anything voluntarily.

YES THEY DO,,,

Our employers dont have to provide expensive health insurance for employees. What a racket that is.

Considering their tax burden is much higher, actually they do, but now government gets to take it's administrative "piece", adding to the cost.

Considering their tax burden is much higher, actually they do, but now government gets to take it's administrative "piece", adding to the cost.
Do you have a link to that ?

How is the NHS funded?

Taxes and contributions, and companies do still contribute.

How is the NHS funded?

I know how the NHS is funded. But that link does not support your claim that "their tax burden is much higher"

I never heard of this being an issue for anyone who loses any family member. This almost sounds like a solution in search of a problem type law. Must also not be in the US. This kind of thing is covered under FMLA I'm pretty sure.

It's essentially a tax on companies to do business.. It comes out of the GDP and economic growth..

And I'm sorry to compare dead pets to children, but the slippery slope is already greased.. The more important point I made was that MONTHS of handling REAL LIFE financial and personal dislocations for the death of a spouse or parent FAR EXCEEDS the strain of losing a child or a pet...

Just leads to different rackets.. Like parking ambulances with patients OUTSIDE the hospital so that the "ERoom response time" stats look BETTER for the Govt...

There's no govt in the world capable of showing compassion or even rationality in the way they HERD people thru one of their systems..

I'm in the middle right now of a spat between Medicare and Social Security over my recently deceased F in Law.. Seems like "finger pointing" is their best defense when Medicare DENIES PAYMENT and starts sending ME the bills.. Can't even get them to recognize a "executor of an estate" legal document to allow me to file an appeal...

And YOU WANT MORE OF THAT --- dontcha????

How is the NHS funded?

I know how the NHS is funded. But that link does not support your claim that "their tax burden is much higher"

Then who pays for all of it?

Forum List

Back